1/72 RarePlane Super King Air - Irish Air Corps - MOVING ON

So a bit more done at the weekend on the sanding-fest this build is...

Wings glued on..

32415444367_cafec4fb00_b.jpgRareplane_Super King Air_wip_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then on to the engines. They butt-joint against the bulkhead so to give them some more support, I drilled three holes for plastic rod to then support inside the engines. I only drilled the top bulkhead because the lower one is full of lead weight. The right side of the nose also needed a couple of rounds of filler as it seemed a bit short in length.

47357409741_afe8d7c2b1_b.jpgRareplane_Super King Air_wip_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Before adding the engines, I chain-drilled the intakes - left is in progress, right still to do.

47357409721_eefa7fb023_b.jpgRareplane Super King Air_wip_11 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And engines glued on, filled, sanded, filled again, sanded again. The left engine also got some shims of plastic card to align it with the right engine, probably down to my rubbish cutting earlier in the build.

47357409651_6379eaaa93_b.jpgRareplane Super King Air_wip_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Hopefully a first coat of primer tonight!

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 8

Looking good Dermot,

It is modelling of another order compared to injection moulded stuff. isn't it?  While the body seems to have gone together easy enough for you those engines are a bit of a headwrecker; keep it up as I am taking notes. 

Inspired by the GB but also this specific build I have taken the plunge and broke out my Broplan vac 1:72  IAC Casa 235

Regards 

Brian 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BKirwan said:

Looking good Dermot,

It is modelling of another order compared to injection moulded stuff. isn't it?  While the body seems to have gone together easy enough for you those engines are a bit of a headwrecker; keep it up as I am taking notes. 

Inspired by the GB but also this specific build I have taken the plunge and broke out my Broplan vac 1:72  IAC Casa 235

Regards 

Brian 

Cheers Brian...just mucking my way through it the best I can. Can’t wait to get back to an injection moulded kit next!

Lovely work on the Casa BTW...👍

One day I’ll pluck up the courage for the resin kit.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2019 at 19:00, Dermo245 said:

Cheers Brian...just mucking my way through it the best I can. Can’t wait to get back to an injection moulded kit next!

Lovely work on the Casa BTW...👍

One day I’ll pluck up the courage for the resin kit.

Great work Dermot

Nothing to be frightened of with Resin apart from get some slow drying superglue, otherwise the parts bond straight away whether they are in the right place or not !

And yes I did learn the hard way ! :angry:

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

So a quick update on this Irish one since it's  St Patrick's Day!

Vacform canopy masked and glued on. The fit wasn't great so that will need attention. I've also added the tailplane which has a couple of plastic rods on the vertical to help with the fit to the rudder.

47402910121_5cf14cd7a4_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip13 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

First coat of primer and some filling started.

46679571354_4fe0ee79a8_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip14 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Enjoy the day.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 7

So with the GB deadline fast approaching, sorry all but I won't get this build done in time.

It's not like me, as I can usually work to most timetables......but the vacformity of this one (and some work/life stuff) has beaten me....for now. Here's how she currently looks..

46527067995_182797ac4b_b.jpgRarePlane VacForm_Super King Air_wip15R by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I still need to tidy up the canopy and do some other fettling before moving on to the other colours. But she's already landed on the WIP thread for Aircraft here on the forum.

If you happen to ever build this kit. my suggestion would be to not use the vacform canopy at all and just cut out the solid windows from the cockpit - it's far less hassle than cutting apart a perfectly good fuselage, trying to get a canopy part to fit on four sides and the windows are so small, you can't see anything up front Oh well, every day's a school day!

Big shout out to Ray and Robert for leading this great GB and to all who've entered and commented.

Already looking forward to the next one!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Sorry you won't make the deadline Dermot, but you have given it a good shot.

Have you decided which one that would be?

Well it won’t be vacform! 😂

If it’s Maritime, maybe a Dutch Neptune...🤔 Or possibly an Irish Casa 

• Like 2