Ford GT: Revell and Tamiya

fet_thunderdome

Hi Everyone,

i have seen the Ford GT Le Mans from Revell and it has a lot of issues (as any Revell kit). It has awful plastics, not so good details, thickness (on the rear diffuser wings in particular), and wheels too small. Then i saw Tamiya will release a road version of the same car. Detail and precision we all know that will be top notch, as usual (it costs almost twice the price..). I am here wondering if, in you opinion, there could be a chance that Tamiya will release a Le Mans version too. And if someone has Revell kit can make a wip?

Thanks and regards

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'll bite . . .

There's always a chance. But how long do you want to wait?

There are vast differences between the road going and race versions which is why Revell has two completely different models - there isn't one component shared by the kits - so it's not just a case of adding a few bits on an extra sprue. And would Tamiya necessarily do a WEC (Le Mans) car or an IMSA version?

Apart from the two Revell versions of the Ford GT, I also have the Profil 24 kit (and several diecasts of the road car). I've a couple of other projects on the go at the moment so won't get around to these until the middle of the year. As you point out, there is an issue with the wheel size on the Revell race car kit (perhaps an after market firm will address that) but I will more than likely kit-bash it with the Profil 24 kit. 

Edit: I've just found this: 

'Decalcas is suppose to be doing a detail set for this. PE and resin wheels not sure in the windshield wiper is part of the deal or not, re diffuser is for sure.'

and:

'For anyone looking for a different building option for this kit, Shunko Models (Japanese decal maker) will be offering two sheets in January to use with the new metallic red/blue colors being offered by Splash Paints and Gravity Colors.  One sheet is for the U.K. based team that ran in WEC, and the other the U.S. based team that ran in IMSA/Weathertech.  Both sheets offer the 2018 24hrs of Le Mans sponsorships, in addition the specific team sheets will offer a secondary continent specific option.'

Nick

Edited by Nick Belbin
New info . . .