Airfix DC9

Graeme H

I started this in the Airfix Golden Years GB, but some minor distractions, like ending up in the Cardiac ward of the hospital with the Cardiologist telling me I was suffering from Heart failure, caused me to slow down, both physically and more importantly mentally.

When I asked what that meant, he says, it's not a heart attack, just the heart muscle not working properly

by how much I enquired?, 

it's only about 36% at the moment he came back

feeling mildly stunned, I stated on a period of reflection and contemplation, recently I decided bugger it can't let that get me down, so I decided a few weeks ago to go to a model show to get a mojo update.

My normal go to event for this is Telford, but on the same weekend ScaleACT hold their event in Canberra, and having been to Telford 12 times, and never having been to ScaleACT, I made the obvious decision. 

Now this is a big country here in Australia, and I would normally fly to such events, but my mate @Rob S lives on the way if I decided to drive, why the hell not I thought, so drove the short bit 6 1/2 hours (612 kms or 380 miles) to his neck of the woods, picked him up and continued down to an overnight stop at a small place called Surat, as I won't drive in the dark on this road, the bodies of several hundred Kangaroos and Wallabies that littered the road all the way was testament to that and 12 hours of driving is my limit anyway.

I let Rob do the next days driving, and I was feeling quite good about the whole adventure by this time, we got into Canberra late in the afternoon having travelled 2193 kms in 23.38 hrs driving time, and none of it is multilane, and most is fair at best, and lot of oops look out, especially when I contacted a Wedgetail who couldn't make V2, I think he was OK, couldn't see him in the rear view mirror, although he probably needed a few Panadol, because it was a fair thump just at the top of the windscreen near the rear view mirror, but no blood or dent showing so I figured he was OK, and it's what I keep telling myself.

I had a great time in Canberra, making our way to the service at the Australian War Museum on the Sunday morning, to see the PM deliver his speech.

It was great to catch up again with @Ray S at the show, all this got my mojo going, I just had to drive home, nearly all very boring, lots of modelling talk, and listening to Spotify, we were out of mobile phone contact for probably 80% of the journey, a total of 4470 kms there and back again.

So I had started this original GB with the intention of doing 2, but as I haven't got very far with the second one, will keep this down to just this one, here is the GB file for those interested.

I turned out the coughing I was having at the start of this build was fluid on the lung from the heart, should have known it wouldn't be anything trivial.

I have been getting a bit of painting done, but the weather has been really bad, we are having a heatwave at the moment, very uncommon, fortunately all the politicians say it's not global warming, so that's good to know

running the air conditioner all day is required, and going downstairs to paint seems like a foolish thing at the moment, as I don't have a spray booth in my modelling room yet , even though it's airconditioned, so it's a bit of a no no at the moment.

Tuesday was the worst with overnight minimum at 28.6C and the max at 42.3C, but not to worry summer officially starts in a couple of days. today is currently 39C, probably going to 41C or so.

anyway, this is the current state of play 

45182066615_ee0e264b6b_z.jpgDSCN1513 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr 

• Like 4

Nice to see this one back on the bench, my attempt at TJL a couple of years ago ended up in USMC markings and got a second at Expo in Melbourne.  I still have the decals for TJS in the stash and another 2 DC-9 kits, so mine make an appearance in the DC-9 STGB if it happens.

Oh, and Graeme you tagged the wrong 'Ray S' in your intro post :D

18 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Australian

Your opener was a shock , hope you're okay .  Townsville ? I've got several cousins I your area , one has a pig farm about 50 k west of T/ville ,another lives in T/ville  . They left the UK in 72. Look forward to your DC-9 build.

I wish you good health above all else though.

overnight minimum at 28.6C and the max at 42.3C

Urrggghhh... nothing like that here in Melbourne yet but this is why I don't look forward to January and February!

Always good to see a DC-9 build. I have a Fly kit in the stash that might make it onto the bench soon. Not familiar with the Coral Islander scheme (way before my time - I came to Australia in 2005) but just had a look online, this should look fantastic.

I contacted a Wedgetail who couldn't make V2

thought you'd hit a 737 for a second there!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 10:07 AM, bzn20 said:

Townsville ? I've got several cousins I your area , one has a pig farm about 50 k west of T/ville ,another lives in T/ville  . They left the UK in 72. 

Hope they survived the flooding OK.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Hope they survived the flooding OK

Thanks, I emailed them after seeing it on BBC News and they phoned me the day just before they opened the dam to relieve the Ross River (Is it ?) Anyway they live about 50 K west of T/ville . They have a ground floor appt in town though but they didn't know what condition that was in . Their son in law is on some kind of volunteer fire/rescue team working with the Army etc. helping with what ever came up . The pig farm has it's own reservoir and that was brimming but they were never in danger. The Pigs on the other hand are ripe for the abattoir but can't travel as you know the roads are closed . Not surprising after 1100mm ish of rain ,holy cow !

How did you get on ?

Edited by bzn20

15 hours ago, bzn20 said:

How did you get on ?

I left Underwaterville years ago and now I'm down in the southern part of Central Queensland and the most we got was a drizzle Tuesday night for an hour or so.  The closest the rain got was about 250 kms north and 400 kms west.  

Graeme's where they've been copping it but so far he's OK just the rain and stinking humidity (and now mould of all things in Townsville) is of course very depressing.  

• Like 1