Weathering and Diorama help

Adam Poultney

Thinking of trying some diorama stuff based on crashed aircraft. I want to do really heavy weathering and damage to the aircraft, but have very little experience in doing so. How would I go about doing this?

Also, building a base for the diorama.... Water effects are a must as that's half the reason I want to do this, but beyond that I'm open to ideas. I have no experience in doing anything like that, so any information on how to do stuff like that is much appreciated.

I'll probably end up not basing it on any photos or anything.

Maybe post this query on the diorama board - there are very expert members there - some great work done to assist you.

Lots of good videos on you-tube to help with dio bases and water effects too. 

You dont need to base/copy a photo but i definitely recommend  you study them. Look for the way the props bend/shatter. The way oil/fuel spatter’s and streams from leaks. Look at the wrinkled & torn  metal or fabric surfaces on airfraft & fire/smoke patterns from damaged engines. Ive seen to many models displayed on tables over the years showing crashed aircraft, some with no other damage than bent props ? How did they plane come down ? Was it shot down or was it from mechanical issues ? It helps to tell a story with the diorama other than its just a crashed aircraft ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

I would suggest studying photographs too.  

Remember that the skin of an aircraft is very thin and that the plastic a kit skin is very much thicker - if you are doing damage or peeled back surfaces you need to replace them with thin material.  Maybe aluminium from a drinks can or thigh tin foil from a food container..

This might whet your appetite...

http://dioramas-and-models.com/B-17 Crash Landing.html

• Like 2