This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

paulj

Radio Control Aircraft

Hi

I am thinking of expanding my modelling interests to Radio Control Aircraft for flying outdoors. I think electric would be easiest to start with. I am a total newbie and looking for any advice to get started, and good forums dedicated to radio control.

Hopefully there are some members on here who have experience and can hep me get started.

Thanks

Hi Paul.

My advice would be to forget the ARTF (almost ready to fly} kits and find yourself an old vintage design.  They're much more stable being originally intended for free-flight.

They will virtually fly themselves and also fly much slower that the ready built stuff and if you get into difficulty they will generally sort themselves out if you leave them to it.

Over the years I've taught many people to fly RC and always had greater success using a vintage kit or plan built model.

Have a look for something designed by Ben Buckle.  Great designs and so easy to fly.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

I'm all for more traditional design, but I would avoid the vintage style of model. The weather being what it is in the UK, you want something that can fly in a controlled manner in a bit more than flat calm. In 30+ years of R/C flying and the club I was in having a flying site at 600 feet above sea level, I can count on one hand the number of times it was calm, warm shorts and T-shirt weather at the flying site. In fact one year, we still had snow in the ditches beside the road in June. I've flown all sorts of models apart from jets. IC powered, electric, gliders, aero-towing, heli's, multi-engine, novelty. By far, I preferred aircraft with proper engines, either petrol or methanol. Electric was just a bit soulless. 

You want to find a local club and find out when, where and what they fly, how big their site is and whether they have any noise restrictions, as that may dictate what you fly.

I started in 1983 when I was 13, flying a three channel high wing trainer with an IC engine. The club gave me insurance, instruction and a safe place to fly away from public. This was my first model, a Leicester Model Centre Hunter 29, with an OS Max .35 engine and Futaba 5LK radio. I flew the socks off it for 18 months before moving onto another model and as a result, I could do more things with it than those learners who moved too quickly onto more aerobatic models. They never really learned to fly properly as they were in too much of a rush to progress onto their next model.

0001.jpg

One thing led to another, and the models got bigger over time, ending up with this 17 feet span scratch built Fortress. So be warned, the hobby can become an obsession and get expensive! You will have fewer in your stash than with plastics though!!

b17064.jpg

Here's a few others.....

Looking along the tow line during an aero-tow.

0009a.jpg

Flying Flat Iron

0012b.jpg

'A' Level Design & Technology camera plane.

0014.jpg

My big Fokker

0030.jpg

and a favourite, my scratch built 1/6 scale P-47D

0038a.jpg

PS, the advantage of a traditional plan or kit build over ARTF is that you know how it went together, and if repairs are needed, it is easier to do on a model you built and understand. Many of the more modern foam designs are less durable, less easily repaired strongly and neatly and soon loose performance if weighed down with repairs. You can't beat wood and real fuel!

RC Model Flyers is a good forum - http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php

Edited by Army_Air_Force

6 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

... the hobby can become an obsession and get expensive! You will have fewer in your stash than with plastics though!!

Modelling can become an obsession? Who'da thunk it?!

I'd say learn to fly with a local club before you spend a zillion hours detailing up your baby  ...and the first thirty seconds of flight turning it back into a kit.

Lots of good electrics out there these days and plenty of beginner plane before you go scale.