Gunsmoke 1983 - 52TFW

Old Viper Tester

On 1/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, TEZ said:

Superb set of photos, always had a soft spot for Spangdahlem F-4s. This maybe of interest -

KNvJSin.jpg

Great looking build, nice work.

I have just re-started completeing my Has F-4E 1/48 while I eagerly await an FGR2 to arrive from England and I will be choosing one of these ships, namely low viz euro camo.

But I cannot track down any decals for these euro schemes. In fact, I have been out of modelling for long enough that its hard to figure out which decal manufacturers are still in the game.

Are these aftermarket decals or kit decals?

Also, I take it that these F-4 variants had fixed outer slats and moving inner slats?

And on the Has F-4E I have there are 2 large blisters atop the wings, almost right in the middle of the upper surface which I cannot find in any Phantom photo.

Anyone know what they are?

cheers for now

30 minutes ago, DrumBum said:

And on the Has F-4E I have there are 2 large blisters atop the wings, almost right in the middle of the upper surface which I cannot find in any Phantom photo.

Hasegawa rehashed their slatted wing to make the F4S variant, they added the bumps for the reinforced navy wings, too big and too square.  It should say in the instructions to remove them for an Air Force variant.. I found a micro-chisel is the best way without damaging the wing surface.

38 minutes ago, DrumBum said:

But I cannot track down any decals for these euro schemes. In fact, I have been out of modelling for long enough that its hard to figure out which decal manufacturers are still in the game.

Mil-Spec did some decals for a F4G in the SP euro scheme, 1/72 & 1/48 scales.

Hope this helps.

22 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hasegawa rehashed their slatted wing to make the F4S variant, they added the bumps for the reinforced navy wings, too big and too square.  It should say in the instructions to remove them for an Air Force variant.. I found a micro-chisel is the best way without damaging the wing surface.

Mil-Spec did some decals for a F4G in the SP euro scheme, 1/72 & 1/48 scales.

Hope this helps.

OK, blisters removed with only a few curse words.

Indeed I accidently purchased the Milspec sheet for the G several months ago and can use it for the E, the SP and the sharks teeth. But it has hi viz stencils such as ejection seat triangles and rescue arrows and I was hoping to find some of the low viz versions. 

I may start looking at F-15E or A-10 stencils as I assume they will be similar.

cheers for now

• Like 1