RAAF Beaufighter IC

The Royal Australian Air Force was an enthusiastic user of the Bristol Beaufighter. So much so that towards the end of the Second World War, the Department of aircraft Production started a licenced production line of Beaufighters in Australia.

However, this build will depict one of the early Mk IC aircraft used by 31 Sqn RAAF.

I will be using the Airfix kit.  

B001.JPG

I'm sure you will have seeen the sprues before, elsewhere on BM, but here they are again.

B002.JPG

B003.JPG

B004.JPG

B005.JPG

B006.JPG

The Airfix kit depicts a Mk.X which is quite different from the early IC, the most visible difference being the dihedral tailplane.   Luckily Alley Cat provides a conversion set.

B007.JPG

This set has the early flat tailplane, some replacement collector rings, early exhausts and the early spoked mainwheels.

• Like 6

Here we go.  Hold on tight, rider!  :D 

I'm quite familtar with the airfix Beaufighter, having started two of them before now.  to my shame I've never finished one.  :blush:   Thankfully it's not to my eternal shame, as the two unfinished Beaufighters are currently getting a new lease of life in the KUTA GB. :thumbsup:

But knowing what to expect, I was able to jump right in.  The Interior builds up quite quickly.  The spars provide a very rigid airframe. 

B008.JPG

The tailplane part is designed to be a simple drop-in replacement for the Airfix part, but it doesn't quite work out that way.  It does need a modicum of fettling to fit well - but no more than five minutes work.   I've added the canopy and masked it before fitting the wings.

B009.JPG

the wings are an easy build.  they slide onto the spars to provide a very rigid structure.

B010.JPG

Like so.

B011.JPG

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

Now, about the other two you're promising as a KUTA...

Here's where I started one of them.

The Tamiya build in that thread was originally intended to be built with the decals that are going onto the current build.  However the Hasegawa one is also a KUTA build, repainted as a Mk.I nightfighter. 

But back to the Main Event.

Airframe sprayed with grey plastic primer from a rattle can.   I like this primer.   Previously I used ordinary grey auto primer from a rattle can, but that seemed to sometimes strip off when masking was removed.  I changed to using Alclad2 grey primer instead, which isn't very convenient as it requires a complete strip of my airbrush after use.   I have since found this grey auto primer which is designed for use on plastic.  It seems to be a little "hotter" than the first primer and so far I haven't had any issues with it lifting with masking tape.

B012.JPG

Here is a close up up the Alley Cat resin collector rings.   One the left is the Airfix part for the Mk.X.  In the middle is a cleaned up Alley Cat resin part. On the right is the resin part with a substantial casting sprue.   It's not a difficult job to clean up though.

B013.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ooh I remember those now. Nice to see them getting some renewed attention :)

For this 1c I think you need to remove the slight bulges on the engine cowlings; the early model Bristol Hercules fitted better than those found in the VI and X.

Here's where Enzo has been a bit naughty.   :sorry:   

I usually use blutak worms to mask the camouflage patter.  Sometimes however, the pattern can end up being a bit simplistic.  also, if I build numerous versions of the same aircraft, the camouflage patterns can vary more than actually happened in real life.   AML produce some nice camouflage masks for various aircraft but I have found that the adhesive used is too strong for acrylic paint.  It's ideal for enamel, but strips the acrylic right off the primer. :(    So...   being naughty, I applied the masks to a sheet of A4 paper and simply photocopied it.  What you see below is the model sprayed with Lifecolor UA-513 RAAF Earth Brown and then masked with paper masks from the photocopy.  This means that I have an unending supply of camouflage masks for any further Beaufighters I wish to build.  Like I say.... naughty.   But to be honest, as I'm at heart a wowdy webel, I'm not sorry at all. :wicked:  

B014.JPG

Green sprayed with Lifecolor UA-514 RAAF Foliage Green.  Undersurfaces were masked and sprayed Lifecolor UA-124 Japanese Grey Green A5, which is a better match for the undersurface colour than UA-515 RAAF Sky Blue, which seems far too pale.

I've also added the engines and cowlings.  The collector rings were painted with Valleju Metal Color 77.723 Exhaust Manifold.

B015.JPG

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

For this 1c I think you need to remove the slight bulges on the engine cowlings; the early model Bristol Hercules fitted better than those found in the VI and X.

Nice spot, Col.  But as you can see, it's a bit late for that. :D   never mind...   I'll live with it.  

Bringing us up to date, the decals were applied.  these came from Print Scale sheet 72082.  One minor problem is that the PSL declas are very thin indeed and if you are not extremely careful they will fold up on application.   Guess what?   I wasn't extremeley careful with the serials.  One of them folded up and nothing - but nothing - I could do would unfold it.  :wall:     Luckily the same markings are in the High Planes Beaufighter kit, to I robbed the serials from that.

B016.JPG

I like the looks of this scheme as the green and brown have a low contrast which should look nice and drab when the matt coat is applied.

We're up to date! 

• Like 7

Sorry I wasn't able to tell you about the bulges in time Enzo but that'll teach you to work so fast :bleh: 

Looking good though and not far from finished.

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Sorry I wasn't able to tell you about the bulges in time Enzo but that'll teach you to work so fast :bleh:

Acksherly...  it'll teach me to document my builds in a more timely fashion.  :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Acksherly...  it'll teach me to document my builds in a more timely fashion.  :D 

Aye who knew your 'plane geek mates could be usefull some days :lol:

• Haha 1

On 28/11/2018 at 21:38, Greg Law said:

I'm just looking for a bit of colour info by this observation. The green colour looks a bit odd to me. Almost green blue. Is this close to what the Australians used? 

As far as I'm aware, it is accurate.   The RAAF used a locally manufactured version of the US Medium Green colour, which is close to FS34092.

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=24092

bugga!!! you slipped this one in and I completely missed it....actually just about the complete build!

very nicely done Enzo, she looks great in camp, the airfix model do look to be a nice one, nothing like they early release! I have to admit I really like seeing the Beaufigthers in this GB some much I had to go buy me one! :D Now a proud owner of a 1/48th Tamiya Mk.VI with rare Aeromaster decals.....and I blame Craig for this! :lol:

You're just about done with this one, been a busy year for you. 

and before I forget  BOOMERANG!  :tease:  you know you want to! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

...very nicely done Enzo, she looks great in camp, the airfix model do look to be a nice one, nothing like they early release! I have to admit I really like seeing the Beaufigthers in this GB some much I had to go buy me one! :D Now a proud owner of a 1/48th Tamiya Mk.VI with rare Aeromaster decals.....and I blame Craig for this! :lol:

What, no resin for your Beaufighter Rich!?! :shocked:

• 3 weeks later...

I ahev a number of those Alleycat conversions in The Stash as well.   I';ll be combining one of them with the Alleycat Beaufighter Mk.II conversion set in the Specialst GB early in the new year.