Scrappy

Ratch

Advance echelons of 36 and 306 Squadrons moved into Harrington on 25th March 1944. Flying B-24D & H variants, some of these were especially adapted for OSS Carpetbagger operations. This involved the removal of the ball turret; the 44” hole was covered by a circular plywood door, divided and hinged in the middle. The nose turret was also removed and replaced with a fully glazed section. The waist guns were also removed. The pilot was provided with large blister windows giving a good downward view of the ground. Unconverted types still wore the drab olive/grey livery, but those that had been modified were initially painted matt black, although this was later changed to a gloss finish. The air operation left Harrington on 7th July 1945 for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA.
414072444.jpg

414072445.jpg

414072448.jpg

414072450.jpg

414072452.jpg
801st/492nd (Provisional) Bomb Group (Heavy), Harrington, Northamptonshire. 42-52749 ‘J’ Scrappy was photographed at Harrington in March 1945

This Academy kit was a bit of a nightmare. The decals were worse than any I've experienced (even Novo). The fins are shown upside down on the instruction sheet. I lost a couple of bits to the carpet monster and had to find/scratch replacements as well as the conversion work for the Carpetbagger variant. The stars and bars are from spares and the other markings were done by hand.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 13

21 hours ago, Ratch said:

Thanks Chris, I sized them to 800 as I usually do, but they are smaller for some reason????

Yeah, that 481x320 size is just a bit too small for my old eyes.

Chris