Revell 1/72 Concorde

t15dja

4 hours ago, Kirk said:

@SheepieAh - sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean on the seat itself but 300mm (ish) above it attached to the forward face of the engineers panel. In the photo, it partly obscures the co-pilot's side window aft of the DV window.

Always feel guilty for taking things off topic! It's the side panel speaker for the co-pilot, the production aircraft had a much more smaller, discreet speaker on that side which doesn't stand out as much

40 minutes ago, Sheepie said:

Always feel guilty for taking things off topic! It's the side panel speaker for the co-pilot, the production aircraft had a much more smaller, discreet speaker on that side which doesn't stand out as much

Sorry - the guilt is all mine even if the pic was yours! :)

Thanks for the info.

@neilg You can resume normal service now. Really enjoying your informative build.

Thanks, and yes, we're well down the final straight now!

The main tasks left are:

1. Fix paint problem around front left windscreen 

2. Mask, paint and weather the engines 

3. Apply the rather nice looking F-DCAL decals

That little lot should normally take me not much time at all.....if only I could get back to the modelling bench!

Like many of us I've got many other calls on my spare time at the moment, so fitting in time to build my ever- growing stash is proving to be a real challenge at the moment....but I  will get there. Concorde will (and must) be finished by the end of the May!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I reckon most of the painting is done now that I've finished the engines and put the red flashes on the ends of the wings thus:

20190520_151747 20190520_151804 20190520_151815 20190520_151841

To paint the engines I used Mr Metal Color "Dark Iron", which goes on black but can then be buffed to get a metallic lustre. However, with hindsight that was a mistake. Buffing the paint creates a microscopic paint dust that gets absolutely everywhere and seemed to become ingrained into the white paint of the model. It didn't wipe off either, even when using alcohol of airbrush cleaner. Handling the model only made it spread further. Eventually I ended up with dark smudges and finger prints all over the place. I found the only way of removing the marks was by using a very fine sander and polisher, after having first sealed the engine paint with Klear.  It took absolutely ages to sand and polish away the dark marks and even now I can still see a few, however I'm going to call that weathering! I'll certainly think twice before using Mr Metal Color in such a way again. 

Anyway......decaling has now commenced! 

20190520_193539

...and yes, I did break the end off the pitot tube....I knew I would at some point!

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 14

As you know, I'm just working on the dacals and I have a 3 questions that I'm hoping someone may be able to answer....

As mentioned above I purchased some F_DCAL decals mainly because I decided to fill the kit windows and doors and use F-DCAL door & window decals. I'm finding the F-DCAL decals quite difficult to use - they take ages (I mean, like 15 minutes!)  to begin to loosen from their backing paper and the carrier film (or "varnish" - see below) seems quite thick. They are "Laser printed" rather than "silk screen printed". I notice that on the F_DCAL website it says the following about Laser printed decals:

"As the name implies, laser decals are printed with laser printers using toner and not ink as in silk screening. For this reason the colours white, silver or gold cannot be printed. They are the original F-decals but the pioneer era is over and these decals are now widely spread in many fields and forms.

The whole decal set is printed on a blank decal page. The varnish covers all the sheet. Compared to silk screened decals you not only trim off the carrier paper but the varnish layer as well.
Laser decals are very transluscent and must be applied over white surfaces. When you trim them off the sheet, colours look very light but, as you will find, this effect vanishes once the decal is applied."

Q1: Are there any different techniques to applying laser printed decals, especially given how long they need to soak? 

Q2: Also, I notice that the walkway warnings are printed in silver on the original Revell decals but black on the F-DCAL sheet - see photo below - what colour should they actually be please? 

Revell:

kfLNRMr.jpg?1

F-DCAL:

Tz9R58t.jpg

Then there is the "do not walk" warning that goes on the upper wing surface above the main gear. Not only are the Revell / F-DCAL versions silver / black respectively, but they are also different shapes and, if placed correctly over the panel lines, the F-DCAL one does not reach the fuselage sides, which I would have thought it should. I've tried to look at some online pictures but can't make things out for certain. Again see photos below. So Q3 is, does anyone know which decal is correct for this particular walkway warning please, Revell or F-DCAL (I've cut the F-DCAL version out and placed it next to the Revell version)?

LqBq7YW.jpg?1

4y0cui8.jpg

Thanks again in anticipation.

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 2

Had to scout through some reference photos to confirm and found this one of G-BOAA up in Edinburgh, the Revell decals are correct to type. Always disliked the F-Dcals for their stencils as the size just always seemed off! As for using them, I had the exact same issue, a bowl of warm water helped with some micro-sol once they've been applied, and just a lot of patience really!

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Excellent, Sheepie, many thanks! I'm really glad the Revell ones are the correct ones because I'm sure they will be much easier to work with. Onwards then.........!

• Like 2

I am having trouble seeing Sheepie's image, so I have had a quick google and found a great walk around on Prime Portal

Here is a shot of the wing that shows the shape and colour of the markings.

I have the Airfix boxing to build one day, I have not looked at it for some time, so I don't know how the decals compare to Revel's.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks, Ray. That is also a very useful image and confirms colour (and placement ) of the walkway warning. Revell decals are definitely the way to go then for me, and I'll just be using the the F-DCAL window decals. It's interesting that F-DCAL couldn't even get the words right...."Do not walk on this area" rather than the correct wording "Do not walk in this area"

Decaling coming along nicely....not finished yet obviously. 

The Revell decals are beautiful, as I also recently found with their 1/144 A380. The F-DCAL ones not so!

2019-05-26_09-41-07

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 4

On 23/05/2019 at 16:53, t15dja said:

Then there is the "do not walk" warning that goes on the upper wing surface above the main gear. Not only are the Revell / F-DCAL versions silver / black respectively, but they are also different shapes and, if placed correctly over the panel lines, the F-DCAL one does not reach the fuselage sides, which I would have thought it should. I've tried to look at some online pictures but can't make things out for certain. Again see photos below. So Q3 is, does anyone know which decal is correct for this particular walkway warning please, Revell or F-DCAL (I've cut the F-DCAL version out and placed it next to the Revell version)?

LqBq7YW.jpg?1

4y0cui8.jpg

Thanks again in anticipation.

I bought the F-DCAL markings for the Airfix prototype Concorde, and the wing markings were the same shape as yours:

IMG_8631

I can't find any good quality photos of the prototypes to see if these markings were accurate, but clearly they're not the same for the production aircraft.  

I didn't have any issues soaking the decals though, they came off the backing very quickly.

When I was doing my Air France build, I thought the decal sheet was wrong because it didn't have the same wing markings that I was used to (having built several British Airways versions over the years).  But, the Air France aircraft had different markings to the British Airways aircraft:  The no-walk marking above the landing gear bays is solid, with no writing, and there are no markings on the leading edges.  And the coloured wingtips are orange, not red, and they're provided as decals on the Heller kit:

fbtsd6.jpg

@Sheepie's image didn't load on my computer!

Really looking forward to seeing the finished build!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well,  at long last, I'm calling her finished!!

Thanks to all for the help and encouragement along the way!

20190610_160517

20190610_160622

I'll post up some more pictures in the "Ready for inspection" section asap.

This was a challenging build with many fit issues and faults, as those of you who've built this kit will know. Perseverance  and patience (and copious amounts of filler) are required but in the end its definitely worth it and she'll make an impressive addition to any collection. 

Here's a link to the "Ready for Inspection" page:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235056567-revell-172-concorde/

Edited by t15dja
added URL link
  • Like 9

• 3 years later...

That is kind of you to say so, thanks!

My Concorde still has pride of place on a shelf....nothing has come loose or broken off. It is a very impressive kit, but you will need plenty of space!

Enjoy the build...look forward to seeing it in RFI in due course.