Revell 1/72 Concorde

t15dja

22 minutes ago, t15dja said:

Ah, right thanks. At least that's one difference within the fleet that I don't have to worry about. 

Here are the tails of AA, AB, AC:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Aerospatiale-BAC-Concorde-102/167271?qsp=eJwtjbEKwzAQQ//l5nYqdMjmLB3ToT9wnEVqcGNzd4WGkH%2BvHbLpSULaSMri%2BPlrraCBDKzypgtVVv4YDRsp5mSu7KksQfzLufUe13EKofWsqI9rcyI7ggiqI57%2BpBHaI5gck3O/uHUJfZ50bxiT1czHCpxTpn3/A589MmU%3D

Each of them has a different design.  I wonder when the Chatham livery was standardized?

Marvellous pics, Sheepie, many thanks. I've also added some thin plastic strip to replicate those "things" along the sides of the hot bits, whatever they are!

22 minutes ago, neilg said:

The colours of the metal on those engines are so interesting!  What paints would you recommend for those?

I'm going to try Mr Metalizer Burnt Iron to start off with. It can be buffed quite easily to various degrees of "shinyness" for want of a better word. 

3 minutes ago, t15dja said:

I'm going to try Mr Metalizer Burnt Iron to start off with. It can be buffed quite easily to various degrees of "shinyness" for want of a better word. 

That would look much better than the dark grey I used:

IMG_2289

• Like 3

Right then, moving on....

Engine parts have been glued together, no issues to report with that, and left for a day or two for the glue (Tamiya white top) to set.

Then it was a matter of sanding the edge of the engine that butts up against the underside of the wing in order to minimise the step between the top surface of the wing and the back end of the engines. This involved a lot of trial and error and repeated dry fitting.

As a reminder, this is what the step was like on both sides before any sanding:

20190308_135717

There are some photos below of what things looked like after sanding and fitting.

Once assembled the engines were individually glued and clamped to the wing and each left overnight to dry.

Port:

20190314_093228

and starboard:

20190312_140905

There was a little bit of filling required to close a small gap with the starboard engine. I used perfect plastic putty, which is water soluble and therefore easy to smooth.

20190314_093235

And then it was back to the paint shop for more primer.................

20190314_123722

20190314_123705

20190314_123651

20190314_123738

20190314_123840

Maybe a tiny bit of seam work still required on the engines:

20190314_123826

This next shot shows that I have (mostly) been able to ensure that the starboard engine is level with the top of the wing. It also shows some of the riveting I've added. Other side looks similar. 

20190314_123749

Here's a couple of shots with the visor just placed (not yet glued) in position:

20190314_124115

20190314_124256

So that's where I'm up to. Next stage is the white top coat from a rattle can (typed with some considerable trepidation!). However that will need to be sprayed outside due to the smell and overspray, and that will probably have to wait a little while now due to the current atrocious weather.....however.....we are now entering the final furlong!

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 9

Brilliant work - it's coming on really well.

I do wish someone would do something about that retractable visor. It's just soooo over-long, and really hard to correct without making a whole new nose and visor.

What a beautiful aircraft though, eh? Kit shortcomings and all, it's still going to be a fab model.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

I do wish someone would do something about that retractable visor. It's just soooo over-long, and really hard to correct without making a whole new nose and visor.

I agree. You may have spotted earlier in this build log that I said I'd emailed Braz models to see if the rumour was true that they were developing a new front end for this kit. Sadly I never got a response so not sure if that is true or not.

My problems were compounded in that my kit's nose cone was damaged and the nose halves were mis-moulded. Filler and hot water respectively more or less sorted those two issues .

I do agree, though,  even though this kit has numerous problems it still has the graceful lines of the real thing and can build into an impressive addition to anyone's collection. 

I notice that, for some reason, there have been quite a few for sale on eBay recently,  and most at reasonable prices 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 8:16 PM, neilg said:

The colours of the metal on those engines are so interesting!  What paints would you recommend for those?

I just noticed as well - is the RAT deployed?

Apologies for the late reply on this one but yep, we have our HiRAT on view as it's something we talk about on the guided tours with the public, we've recently got one of the intake ramps & spill doors working as well (be it as a demonstration on a motor/hydraulic ram, the computers for that on any Concorde has long since stopped working!)  

1 minute ago, Sheepie said:

Apologies for the late reply on this one but yep, we have our HiRAT on view as it's something we talk about on the guided tours with the public, we've recently got one of the intake ramps & spill doors working as well (be it as a demonstration on a motor/hydraulic ram, the computers for that on any Concorde has long since stopped working!)  

That sounds interesting - what's the difference between a RAT and HiRAT?

Aren't the spill doors also inaccurate on the kit?  i.e., they are moulded as though they open downwards, when they should be opened by hinging inwards into  the intake?

Or do they also open outwards like this:

IMG_1798

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, neilg said:

That sounds interesting - what's the difference between a RAT and HiRAT?

Aren't the spill doors also inaccurate on the kit?  i.e., they are moulded as though they open downwards, when they should be opened by hinging inwards into  the intake?

I actually don't know the difference but it's a good question, I'll find out! As for the kit, yep they're completely wrong. The two doors they show open on the kit should actually open inwards, although you'd only see these open on take off and when using reverse thrust. The spill doors that open outwards are much larger and would only be used in an engine failure at supersonic speeds!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you get the chance to visit Aerospace Bristol they have a video projected onto the outside of the Concorde engines that shows the operation of the intake doors and internals at varying speeds.

Couldn't find a copy on the web, sorry.

18 minutes ago, CedB said:

If you get the chance to visit Aerospace Bristol they have a video projected onto the outside of the Concorde engines that shows the operation of the intake doors and internals at varying speeds.

Couldn't find a copy on the web, sorry.

It's only 45 minutes down the road from where I live, and I keep telling myself I'll go soon...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies for not posting any updates for quite a while......life got in the way yet again!

However, in the last week or so I've finally managed to get some white top-coat on the Concorde and am enclosing some pictures of the result. 

This wasn't as problem-free as I would have hoped. The rattle can I used suddenly decided to splatter paint blobs all over the model, secondly the top coat reacted with the revell acrylic paint that I'd used in a couple of places, leaving a severe orange-peel effect. Both of these issues required me to wait several days for the top coat to dry before rubbing down and respraying. 

Anyway,  here's some pics. The visor is not attached yet, only placed on the model for now.

Engines are still masked at this stage. 

20190429_162853 20190429_162648 20190429_162831 20190429_162800 20190429_162734

I had a problem unmasking the main windscreen,  which you can see if you look closely in the final photo.  The top coat of rattle can white didn't come off cleanly around the mask on the left hand screen, such that some of the paint surrounding the mask came off with it. What I should have done was to very carefully run a very sharp blade around the edges of the mask before removing it in order to cut the paint seal. I did that on the other windows and it worked fine. That leaves me with a little repair job on that one window,  which I'm pondering about how to fix.

• Like 12

She's looking fantastic! The filling's really paid off too as you can't see any sink lines at all along the fuselage, good work!

As always, here's some motivation from our office to keep you going...

_jjrps8A6Ujgn-G9S1a19f45nQfYtbsnLmouIJcW

Edited by Sheepie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kirk said:

@Sheepie Quick question: Is that grey & black lump behind the co-pilot's head a head rest or is that just too obvious?

The seat belts would usually run through it, and it's more of a neck rest if anything but the pilot's position means that you wouldn't really lean that far back when flying the aircraft. I've sat in that cockpit a few times with Mike Bannister and he's demonstrated that you sit more far forward than you'd expect when flying the aircraft, found it almost unnatural actually!

@SheepieAh - sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean on the seat itself but 300mm (ish) above it attached to the forward face of the engineers panel. In the photo, it partly obscures the co-pilot's side window aft of the DV window.

Edited by Kirk
I'm taking Neil's thread off topic!
  • Like 1