Revell 1/72 Concorde

t15dja

That's a very useful picture of the engines reflecting the sunlight.....shows up the riveting, which is actually all over the aircraft from the photos I've seen. I'm going to add some of that using my trusty Rosie the riveter. 

1 minute ago, t15dja said:

That's a very useful picture of the engines reflecting the sunlight.....shows up the riveting, which is actually all over the aircraft from the photos I've seen. I'm going to add some of that using my trusty Rosie the riveter. 

If you can hold out to the 2nd March when I'm back in next, I'll get a decent photo of the engines for you. Admittedly I'd suggest picking up some photo etch for the buckets over what the kits supply as they look horrid!

3 minutes ago, Sheepie said:

If you can hold out to the 2nd March when I'm back in next, I'll get a decent photo of the engines for you.

I certainly can, Sheepie, and that would be very helpful, thanks. I presume you are referring to the Brengun photo etch? I did consider that but it's quite expensive (more than i paid for the kit!), especially given that many of the parts relate to the undercarriage,  which isn't relevant for me.

I might have a go at doing it myself first and see how I get on.

Great work on the nose section :) 

BTW, if that is Humbrol filler, I've recently found from the Humbrol video that it can be thinned with Liquid Poly; makes it much easier to get into gaps so less is required and much less sanding later. HTH.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Engine parts primed and riveted, although more riveting still to be done, and visor masked.....

20190305_17271420190305_172739

2019-03-05_05-45-30

Nose section attached, sanded and primed, although I'm not happy with that nose joint just yet so will have another go at it.

2019-03-05_05-34-01

However,  I do feel like its coming together now.....should be rounding the final bend soon!

2019-03-05_05-41-47

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 6

Those engine rivets look great!  It's small details like that I think really improve the appearance.

Just wondering why there are two lots of tail decals on one sheet?

• Like 1

Yes, having studied some of the walkaround photos Concorde seems to be covered in rivets! I'll try and replicate as many as I  can / are necessary using my Rosie the riveter tool, which is definitely the best riveter tool I've owned. The engines are particularly festooned in the things, as I've tried to recreate above.

Not sure about the extra tail decals....I'll look up the instructions to see what they say.

Apologies for not having a chance to grab some more photos of the engine areas yet, we've been so busy with the 50th Anniversary at the weekend that I didn't get a chance to grab some photos, I'm back in again this Saturday though.

As a treat though, here's a sneaky vid from our sim with a touch and go at Heathrow (hopefully this works!)

Edited by Sheepie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Sheepie.....I enjoyed the sim.....must get myself one of those!

I have managed to find quite a few photos of the engines on line but more will be very welcome. 

Engines are coming together....sub-assemblies being constructed, riveted and painted.....

20190307_104348

I've added some bits of styrene sheet to aid alignment and strengthen the joint 

20190307_104412

2019-03-07_04-04-13

• Like 4

Can I ask a question of those modellers out there that have built this kit...

I've nearly finished assembling the engines but am now wondering which is best......either to (1) paint them before attaching them to the kit, then spray the whole airframe minus the engines white and finally attach the engines at the end or (2) attach the painted engines, mask them off very carefully and then spray the whole kit white?

Each method has its pitfalls.

How did you do it and would you do it any differently in hindsight?

Thanks in anticipation. 

When I built my kits, I painted the airframe, then assembled and painted the engines.  Then, I clamped the engines to the wings.

I'm not going to do this again for the next build because:

1. The paint needs a lot of time to fully cure - probably a week or two.  I painted then attached the engines a couple of days later, resulting in grip marks on the paint on both the upper surfaces of the wings and engines.  The paint was dry, but still soft.
  2. The clamps I have don't have enough 'reach' to hold the intake trunks.  The engines don't conform well to the underside of the wing, and needs a strong clamp to hold the engines in place.  I am sure there are longer clamps out there though that will help.

So my plan for the next build is to assemble the entire aircraft (with engines), then paint it all in one go - then worry about the small area of painting for the hot section of the engines.

I wouldn't recommend attaching the hot sections separately to the rest of the engine and after you've painted, because the joint with the intake trunking will need to be sanded.

• Thanks 1

Just to be different, when I built mine I glued the engines on when all the painting was over. They needed a lot of trimming to make the exhaust section flush with the top surface of the wings. When the trimming was done, no excessive force was needed to clamp them in place while the glue set.

Regards Toby

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sofusthecat said:

They needed a lot of trimming to make the exhaust section flush with the top surface of the wings.

A quick dry fit of the engines reveals that I have the same problem as Toby i.e. the back part of the engines does not sit flush with the top surface of the wing, as I believe they should do in real life....see picture below:

20190308_135717

However the engine profile fits the lower wing profile very well thus:

20190308_135742

Did anyone else have this problem? If so how did you get round it....or did you just  live with it. Toby says he got round it with lots of trimming, but I would need to shave off a good couple of millimetres from the engine edges whilst maintaining the profile of the engine nacelle, which will take some doing!

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 4

A bit of judicious sanding on the inboard edge of the engine where it joins the wing surface does seem to make the problem a lot better. OK, the engine profiles are now a tiny bit out but in my opinion that is much better than having that step between the wings and engines, which would have been very noticeable on my attempt at this kit.

Mind you, I reckon the fun and games will really start when I start gluing all the bits together whilst at the same time attempting to clamp the engines to the wing and keeping everything aligned.

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 7:31 PM, neilg said:

Just wondering why there are two lots of tail decals on one sheet?

I've checked the F-DCAL instructions and there is no mention of the second, non-separated tail decals.....see photo below.

2019-03-08_04-01-42

Bit of a mystery then, really , since they couldn't be used on the model due to the raised rudder actuators. Anyone else got any theories as to why they are supplied?

• Like 1

It's interesting that AE has a different livery to the other Chatham liveries.

I think all of the pictures I've seen of the starboard side of the vertical stab shows the actuator fairing as red, because it was part of the one of the red ribbons.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aerospatiale-British_Aircraft_Corporation_Concorde,_British_Airways_JP259591.jpg

BA-Concorde-G-BOAB-04.jpg?ssl=1

But for AE, the actuator fairing was white, and the lower ribbon doesn't flow all the way to the base of the rudder, like it does for the others.  It's as if the whole design is shifted up on AE (correctly depicted on the decal instructions):

gboae8.jpg

But, the position of the "Speedbird" ribbon at the front of the fuselage looks incorrect on the decal instructions.  It looks a bit too high up on the fuselage, when the photo above shows it's more or less aligned with the cabin windows.

• Like 1

So that's the answer then, Neil, thanks........the non-separated decal is for BOAE....F-DCAL obviously thought of that, which I am impressed by!

I agree that the speedbird ribbon appears higher in the instructions than on the real thing....however Revell also have it positioned slightly above the line of the windows:

2019-03-08_04-40-43

I'll need to check my photo references when I finally decide which of the fleet my effort will be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, t15dja said:

I agree that the speedbird ribbon appears higher in the instructions than on the real thing....however Revell also have it positioned slightly above the line of the windows:

I'll need to check my photo references when I finally decide which of the fleet my effort will be.

Hmmm, however on the port side, the Speedbird ribbon appears slightly above the window line:

gboac7.jpg

• Like 2

Unless my eyes are deceiving me,  it's also interesting that BOAC in the photo above does not have the small shark-fin shaped aerial (?) on the dorsal surface of the fuselage that BOAE does in the other photo (above the letter H in British). If I'm right that's another difference to be aware of between individual BA Concordes. I wonder if there are any other subtle differences?

I think it must be just a trick of the light.

I had a look through a set of photos of AC, and they show that it too has the antenna, but in some photos, the lighting makes it hard to see:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8119885#modal-large-photo

Yet in others, it's there, clear-as-day:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6442840#modal-large-photo

Ah, right thanks. At least that's one difference within the fleet that I don't have to worry about.