Revell 1/72 Concorde

t15dja

This was the first Airfix one I made (I didn't use the Airfix decals in the end - I bought an aftermarket sheet from Draw Decals).  I didn't realize these photos were so blurry!

IMG_1722

IMG_1721

I learned a lot from this build, but didn't put anything right.  I left the windows unfilled, and I couldn't get the nose mechanism to work. 

It got knocked off the table one day, and smashed when it hit the floor.  It made me happy in a way because it gave me a reason to buy another one and try to fix some of the problems.  

A few years later, when I saw the Revell kit for sale in Hobbycraft, I got it straight away with some of the easy things fixed:

FullSizeRender 4

Then a while later, I found the Heller kit in a model store in Paris, again with the same small things fixed:

IMG_2288

The two of them together:

IMG_2293

I think I will be happy with the three models - I'm not so keen on the red Union tail British Airways livery.

• Like 6

Can I ask a question about the leading edge of the wing please.......?

When joining the upper and lower leading edges of the wings, the lower edge naturally wants to sit within the upper edge, such that there is a step down from the leading edge to the lower wing surface (when the kit is upside down). Should these two edges be flush i.e. level with each other in reality? If so I'll need to pack something between the two wings that will prevent the the lower wing from sitting too low.

So far I haven't found any photos that show how this joint is in real life.

The photo below should help illustrate the joint I'm talking about (nothing glued yet in the photo)

Thanks in anticipation.

2018-12-17_12-41-49

Edited by t15dja
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, t15dja said:

If so I'll need to pack something between the two wings that will prevent the the lower wing from sitting too l

I didn't need to pack anything between the upper and lower wing parts.

They sat pretty flush when I assembled them, and required only a small amount of filler between them.

Here's the joint before I filled it:

IMG_1429

I think this is i a good picture to give a sense of the scale for those who have not yet seen this kit in real life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see what you mean. Definitely a small step, though, on mine. I joined the upper wing surface to the fuselage before I joined the upper and lower wing halves together. That way I think I've ended up with a pretty good wing to fuselage joint.

The step won't be a problem when I glue the two wing halves together - I'll just pack it out a bit with some thin styrene sheet and then fill the resultant joint................and yes, I agree it's big!

22 minutes ago, t15dja said:

That way I think I've ended up with a pretty good wing to fuselage joint.

This was the worst part I think - there was an enormous gap between the upper wing root and the fuselage sides.

The tight angle made it quite difficult to apply the filler neatly and get right in to sand it smooth.

I had to do four or five filler and sanding sessions to get this joint smooth.  And I hate filling and sanding.

I know I'm not the one with a model on the go, but could I trouble you for some shots of the fuse panel behind the Flight Engineer, Sheepie? I'd like to detail that corridor on mine and unsurprisingly 99.9% of the cockpit shots focus the other way! :) Quite keen on any detail of the super-numary seats too - also much omitted. Never seen a pic of the cockpit door closed come to think of it.

No hurry as I'd have to rescue mine from the stash of doom. And do the drawing for a 3D print of an improved belly. And, and, and, I can't think of too many more excuses. :wink:

13 hours ago, Sheepie said:

Shout if you need any reference pics of anywhere in particular,

I would love to see some more high def pictures of the undersides of fuselage, wings and engines, together with the top view of the fuselage if you are able to get any high shots please.

5 minutes ago, t15dja said:

I see that Creative Models currently have 7  Heller 1/72 Concorde gift sets, priced at £49.99 each with free postage.

I just had a look on their website, and it shows that they have no stock of the 1:72, no stock of the 1:125, but they have some Revell 1:144 kits (I can't see how many they have in stock).

Is this the same website?

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=concorde&x=0&y=0

That's interesting.

When I go to this website, which I found through Google shopping:

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/aircraft-and-spacecraft/heller-172-gift-set-concorde~c9682~p5123669/?exta=gshp&gclid=CjwKCAiA0uLgBRABEiwAecFnkyOp5R_LZM1yQNl0L0MCzUaIqvWdV6t6iRLY-O4RKS8FcwGJkZt1iBoCMkgQAvD_BwE

It says there are 7 available via Creative Models and you can go all the way through to checkout, although I haven't done that myself.

Message from Creative Models via Onbuy:

Creative Models

Time Posted:

18/12/2018 12:36

Hi Thank you for your message, please accept our apologies this is an error on our part and this will be rectified as soon as possible, our website holds the correct information. We are hoping to receive our next delivery of this item in the new year. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards Creative Models Ltd

• Like 1

5 hours ago, t15dja said:

It says there are 7 available via Creative Models and you can go all the way through to checkout, although I haven't done that myself.

Are you going to get an Air France one too?

Possibly, but would not do the Air France version, having read of your experience with the Air France decals!

I fancy doing a BA Landor version with wheels down next time, possibly also with the Brengun detailing set...............however I am running way ahead of myself here, since I'm nowhere finishing my current version yet...........and then there's all the other stuff in the stash that I am desperate to start!

Good to see your progress on this.

I've got one on the go but now relegated to the back burner. I elected to do it wheels up but fitting the u/c doors in the closed position is a right faff. It's Concorde shaped now but I've just had a look on Hannant's website & Enthusiasm is out of stock. 

Pete

• Haha 1

Those decals were awful!  They were all crispy and crunchy, and wouldn't stick down over the complex shapes of the vertical stabilizer.  But, I think the Air France livery looks good on it!

Do you know where you can get Landor decals from in this scale?

I want to start mine now I have it in my hands, but I already have a 1:144 C-5 and a 1:350 Richelieu battleship on the go too...  

10 hours ago, t15dja said:

I would love to see some more high def pictures of the undersides of fuselage, wings and engines, together with the top view of the fuselage if you are able to get any high shots please.

Top view of the fuselage may be an issue till the new year (we're giving her a jet wash in Feb!) but the rest I can definitely do, I'm in on Saturday so will take plenty of pics!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, neilg said:

Do you know where you can get Landor decals from in this scale?

Hi Neil,

There should be Landor decals in the kit you just collected!

Cheers,

Ian

Just now, Turbofan said:

Hi Neil,

There should be Landor decals in the kit you just collected!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi, Ian.

Yes there are, but I was thinking, the OP was looking at the Heller kits at Creative Models, and this version only comes with Air France decals.  I wasn't sure if he wanted to buy the Heller kit because it's a reasonable price, then source aftermarket Landor decals.

I was also hoping that some Landor decals existed somewhere, so if I have problems with old disintegrating decals like I did the last time I built the Airfix version, I'd have a plan B to help out.

All I can find between Draw Decal and F-DCAL are the BA Chatham, BA red tail, the British and French prototypes, and the old Air France livery.