Fairchild Argus nose art and colours. Plus more questions on UC 61....

JWM

Hi,

I've bumped on photo of SEAC Fairchild Argus, it is here:

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p1004526858/h507CE6CA#h507ce6ca

She has a complicated nose art which looks for mer like a heart with some not readible elements on it. Can anybody enlight me what exactly it is on this nose art presented? Some cartoon heros maybe?. Maybe colours are know ? (since whole machine looks like OD/NG well worn scheme. At least to me it is like that)

Any comment will be apprecieted

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
I extended the subject with new questions

Downloading the pic and having a look, it seems to be a very long limbed figure entwined with something hard to tell. The text underneath seems to start 'Oll

The colour of the fuselage looks like OD over Neutral gray. but I wonder if the wing undersides are repainted yellow

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Light aircraft were known as Grasshoppers, at least by some quarters of the US armed forces.

8 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Grass Hopper crawling from lower right to upper left with a person on its back? :unsure:

Steve.

Now at sounds more likely, Well worked out, Paul

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Many thanks for all who tried to help! I am coming back to the question, perhaps meanwhile some new ideas might appeared (this is Fairchild Argus FS 626) ? 

I was considering the grasshopper like that from a cartoon "Grasshopper and the ants" by Disney:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIVGW6R3vx5lF0h2Q6LG9

But the person here is too much human-shaped (legs and arms) and that on nose art seem to have six legs... 

Regards

J-W

Although I have no idea what this nose art shows, I almost certainly know from this photo that FS626 was flying in the TLS (Dark Green over Dark Earth) scheme.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The scheme is all right for a US Army plane. Most of the SEAC ones have, however, been repainted into the RAF scheme.

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1

• JWM changed the title to Fairchild Argus nose art and colours. Plus more questions on UC 61....
On 10/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, KRK4m said:

The scheme is all right for a US Army plane. Most of the SEAC ones have, however, been repainted into the RAF scheme.

Cheers

Michael

The machine in link given in first post is FS626. In AZ/Legato model the sister plane with serial FS628  is ib OD/NG, however with SEAC roundels from bottom side, not seen on photo of  FS626 (maybe therefore @Dave Fleming suggested repaint in yellow on bottom sides in the second post - thanks! : )  ) . 

Yesterday I've bumped on perhaps a serious issue regarding both AZ/Legato or Pavla kits.  Namely if you looke at this photo: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuqnJ7C4JinDtO-KkGCZF

there are two large windows on top of cabin which are absent in both kits. Argus on display in Elvington Air Museum has this windows (I think it is visible here ) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Fairchild_Argus_II_FK338_(8155195015).jpg

Here those windows are seen for me:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2Cc1O-utrdu154Noaiqm21-2.jpg

But on some other machines they could not be observed (but maybe there are there and only are obscured by fuselage curve?)

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/fair_argus/argus_13.jpg

Here they are  absent

fairchild-f24.jpg

Were they present only on some machines or always, and only removed from some by oweners? 

@Ed Russell - maybe you can give any suggestion or info on that? :) 

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I think the upper windows were fitted to the aircraft built as military machines - one reference says they were fitted from the Argus II

Many thanks, that is what I suspected - the civil machine does not need that much visibility to the above then the military one (besides  the star navigation...)

Regards

J-W

P.S.

Hm,... there is a photo of museum mashine described as "Argus I" with those windows:

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/galleryphoto_en.php?photoid=6691

Edited by JWM

12 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

FS628 is an Argus II (ref Air Britain serials list)

Thanks, Ed! BTW - is there also some nose art on the FS628?:

55-3.jpg

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing a bit with photo of FS626. This is perhaps the best what I've got

52436082140_83c36f2b51_b.jpg

So my interpretation of nose art is something like that:

52435633566_ca61ff6931_b.jpg

How do you think? Any suggestions? - maybe it recalls some cartoon hero or similar???

Regards

J-W

Here's what I see on the enhanced photo:

spacer.png

A puddle below seems more likely to me than a cloud, since his feet have a shadow, suggesting he's not jumped high (or even at all)...

Could also be a reference to some ocean.

Overall design might be similar to (or even inspired by) L-4 Grashopper emblem:

spacer.png

source: USMC Patches

Regards,

Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk
  • Thanks 1