Tamyia chieftain 1:35 paint colours

Onezonedrone

Hello I have a tamyia chieftain kit it's an old kit I found in the loft one I built as a kid, I've stripped the paint and glue so I can rebuild/paint it. 

I'm about to start it and need help with the paints. What colours do I need I'm led to believe the paint numbers on the box (long gone) are incorrect? Hoping to build as a mk5 with standard British army black and green camo scheme. I'd like to use Mr hobby paint. Does anyone know what numbers I need? Which is the best primer colour for tanks? Thanks

Edited by Onezonedrone

I always use a dark brown primer as it is a reasonably close match for the base metal colour, so any handling wear ends up looking like real wear.  It also provides a degree of depth in the nooks and crannies if pre-shading is your thing.  Army Painter's Leather Brown in a rattle can.  But others like black, grey or even white primers.  Some prefer rattle cans and others prefer something they can airbrush (if you have one).

As for colours, Chieftains varied a lot depending on how recently they were painted and whether they were parked in a garage or out in the open.  The paints used quickly got scruffy-looking, especially with constant exercises getting muddy and washed down in BAOR, never mind practice CBRN decontamination detergent scrub-downs. You could do worse than using Tamiya's NATO Green and Black as a starting point.  That is assuming you don't want to do one based at BATUS in Canada or LWC at Warminster, in which case you'll need a sandy colour instead of the black.  Can't offer any suggestions for that colour, I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1