LS 1/144 Lockheed P-3C Orion

Hi Guys,

This is another one that has been sitting in my stash for a while, and I am looking forward to building it. I was lucky enough to get a trip in a Dutch P-3 back in 1999; the crew was awesome and fed us plenty of coffee and cake throughout the flight!

Dave

IMG_20181127_091613

• Like 8

Will you be using the kit decals or trying to do a Dutch one Dave?

I am thinking of building a Hasegawa P-3 as a possible build but can't decide on the model or operator. I have another build planned for this GB that I will get out of the way first

I will stick with the kit decals due to being a lazy git. Plus the colour scheme reminds me of the first Orion I saw at Church Fenton in 1981; it seemed so exotic at the time!

• Like 1

Ray those look excellent! I have made a bit more progress, but I have to say the fit of the engines to the nacelles is not great. The sprue gates seem to be different types of plastic, almost as if they are for different kits. However, they are on, and a bit of filler has been applied to help fettle them in. The fuselage join needed filler as I rushed it and screwed it up 😳. Anyway, she is starting to look like an Orion.

IMG_20181209_165832

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

After something of a hiatus, painting has commenced. The fuselage top has been sprayed white, masked off and the rest is being sprayed Light Gull Grey.

IMG_20190103_184752

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress; the Light Gull Grey is done, with some annoying seepage. I will need to touch it up before commencing the black on the radome. I must confess, I am not enjoying this build and will be glad when it is done.

IMG_20190113_175508

Oil

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I know we have all had models that sap the mojo and drive you insane. This one is definitely mine. On paper this was a simple kit that should have been fun to build. As it stands it is making me want to quit the hobby. I found the fuselage fit terrible, I screwed up some of the masking, the decals have been awful (plus in my frustration I have located some in the wrong place).....the list goes on. The final straw for me is that the windscreen cracked and I thought I had repaired it, however I obviously hadn't as paint has gotten in the crack. As such I am done. This is going on the shelf of doom pending the bin. I don't enjoy giving up but it is either this or the hobby as a whole. I am building a couple of Airfix 50's jets on another GB which I am hoping will be simple and enjoyable. If I can get my mojo back I have several other kits that qualify for this GB that I can have a crack at.

Dave

IMG_20190127_105502

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Sorry to hear of your woes Dave.  If it were just the cracked screen, I'm guessing you could maybe paint the offending pane gloss black.  You probably wouldn't notice the difference in 1/144.

I appreciate though that the screen is just one of several frustrations for you, so can understand why you need a break from it :(

Dave, sorry you are giving up on this one.  From the photo, I can't see the problem with the windscreen, but you are closer to the model and can see the issue more clearly.

I hope your 50's jets go well, and you keep modelling.

If you can pop back here with another kit, I'd be delighted to see you building again, but, as you say, it is a hobby and meant to be fun.

Sorry to hear this Dave. It’s not a good feeling. But sometimes we have to remind ourselves that this is supposed to be fun and if a build is sapping our will to continue we should set it aside and do something else - that’s what the shelf of doom is for! - so you’ve done the right thing I think. Hope the 50s jets bring your mojo back.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to see one of these in this GB but saddened by the heartache it is giving you.  

Hope you get back to it soon - if not why not swop it with someone over there and maybe the swopped kit will get you you mojo back?