Another Airfix Bomber Command Wimpy Mk.1C

Well to be fair Pete, I think it's the railway community that keeps our one afloat as the kit department is nearly always empty when I visit...or maybe it's because I visit! :blink:

I was messaged by someone asking about the interior of the kit so here are a few images I took during assembly. I think Airfix did a pretty good job on this, the fit of the parts is excellent making assembly a breeze. The whole interior can be left out if desired which probably makes sense if you want to build a later aircraft where the long fuselage windows were blanked over and virtually nothing of the interior would have been visible. The flooring and bulkheads were done using sections of scrap wooden decking left over from a 1/700th warship, washed using AK Naval Colours and sealed with Alclad's Klear Kote Matte varnish. The geodetic framework was painted using a silver metallic 'Sharpie' pen which made the job a lot easier.

The strange pinky/brown interior colour was the result of the coloured dope used on the linen fabric covering bleeding through the fabric after application.  In time it faded to a sickly light pink colour.

One interesting thing to note though, the destructions have you paint the 4.5in reconnaissance flares yellow whereas according to my references (RAF ordinance WWII) they were semi-matt black with 1/2in red bands around the nose ends.

1-11-DSC-1501.jpg

3-15-DSC-1508.jpg

1-DSC-1537.jpg

• Like 4

That's an absolute beauty, Melchie.  In fact they both are.  Glad to see you have refrained from painting out the long fuselage windows.  The box art seems to indicate that it was painted over but when I build mine I want to be able to see some of that beautiful interior detail while still building L7818 in tribute to Allen Ward.  Makes me feel better knowing someone else has done the same!

• Like 1

Well done indeed, old fruit! Dreadfully splendid job on the old Wimpy! I say but that pink colour would have me looking for a new interior decorator, though. Very gauche!

Yours in Perpetuity,

Jason

P.S. If Mr. Airfix doesn't come out with a Manchester and/or Lincoln post-haste (in the Lord's true scale, of course), I shall have to march into his office forthwith and give him a right talking-to that he will never forget!

Edited by Learstang
Added all sorts of rubbishy things. Nowt to worry about, though.
  • Like 1

Lovely work on a fine looking machine.

Admirable camouflage and weathering. I mean, it has not got streaks all over it but the faded effect definitely appeals to the eye more than a 'fresh from the bottle' look,

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

Glad to see you have refrained from painting out the long fuselage windows.  The box art seems to indicate that it was painted over 

Cheers, MB, they were indeed blanked at the time of his heroic deeds but like you I wanted to be able to see the interior on this one. As an early production Mk1C the aircraft would have started off in the standard configuration. 

Blanked fuselage windows of L7818 R-Robert

I say but that pink colour would have me looking for a new interior decorator, though. Very gauche!

Stang, my old Colonial warhorse, I too felt that the pink was a bit passe but the Mem enjoyed it immensely...said it demonstrated a soft, cuddly side seldom seen in early British medium-range twin-engined night bombers... 

If Mr. Airfix doesn't come out with a Manchester and/or Lincoln post-haste (in the Lord's true scale, of course),

Yes, I'd love to see this pair in 1/48th too...:tomato:

Admirable camouflage and weathering. I mean, it has not got streaks all over it but the faded effect definitely appeals to the eye more than a 'fresh from the bottle' look,

Thanks Michael, I much prefer playing with the panel tones and adding some variance to the colours than just slopping on 'sludge' washes and the like and wiping them off with a piece of kitchen towel...nothing wrong if that's yer thing but personally I find this a lot more fun!

• Like 1

General,

The Wellington was not a beautiful airplane, but your two builds are drop-dead gorgeous! I am in awe of not only your skill, but your prolific production. I can't wait to see what's next, sir!

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks guys, very kind of you...

The Wellington was not a beautiful airplane, 

Mike, gotta agree with you there...she always reminded me of a favourite aunt, broad in the beam, somewhat stout yet purposeful, laden with grim intent, strong as an ox but very forgiving....and quite liable to drop a load of 500 pounders on you at the first sign of rebellion.

Callum, get stuck in man!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, general melchett said:

As an early production Mk1C the aircraft would have started off in the standard configuration.

Picky, picky... if that was how it started maybe it wouldn't have very dirty and all that weathering was unjustified

John

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, one way to achieve variation is to mask off the individual panels and add a few drops of highly thinned off-white or light grey to the base colour then slowly mist this on at a low air pressure of, say 15psi (1bar). Just before this dries go over the forward end of the panel again with a slightly darker mix, by adding a little more of the base colour and so on until you build up a subtle gradient, going from light to dark.  Once happy with that mist on another highly thinned mix of the base colour to blend the tones further. In the case of ribbed or overlapping panels on a fuselage a good idea is to mask along the upper 'panel/rib' and apply the lighter tone first, before gradually adding darker variations to the lower area, this gives the effect of light hitting the top of the 'rib/panel' and gives a realistically scaled look and depth to the panels. 

Sometimes I also add a mist of thinned smoke, especially over the decals, which tones the colours down a little and makes them look like they were painted on rather than stuck on, as these are liable to weather at the same rate as the surrounding paintwork. It's really a matter of practice, light mists, low psi and a lot of trial and terror!

To be honest it sounds a lot more involved than it really is...