SAAF Ventura

I've made a bit of progress. 

I've finished painting the fuselage

20190402-160846.jpg

as well as the wings. I don't usually paint the fuselage and wings before I glue them, but it felt easier with this one.

20190414-150856.jpg

And glued on

20190414-175551.jpg

Next is the tailplane.

I hope for good progress over the long weekend.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 3

That is looking very promising there Jimmy, I reckon you're on track for a good un. By the look of the paint pots lurking in the background, you're using Humbrol shades, 104 over 144 over 34?

Steve.

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is looking very promising there Jimmy, I reckon you're on track for a good un. By the look of the paint pots lurking in the background, you're using Humbrol shades, 104 over 144 over 34?

Steve.

Hi Steve.

Humbrol 34 for the white underside, but the two shades of blue is my own mix of Humbrol paints. I usually use an empty Humbrol pot for the mixed color, and then paint a circle on the top of the cap with the mixed color for future reference, which is what I think you see in the background.

It's no secret, I just cannot remember what I mixed for the upper dark blue. I usually document and keep my mix ratios for future reference, but for some reason I didn't this time. For the light blue I think started with the same color I used on my F4U Corsair, but I added something else, can't remember what. The ratio for the Corsair mid (light) blue was 1 part Humbrol 52 and 9 parts Humbrol 64. H52 is a WEIRD color to use I know - especially since it's metallic - but it worked well. My Corsair below.

20180303-162245i.jpg

20180306-165841i.jpg

Come to think of it, the dark blue uppers was likely also a slight change to the dark blue used on the Corsair.

My paint mixing is usually more spot on than the rest of my modelling, and I believe my blue-grey for the F4U was close to spot-on (considering the scale color effect), but I think I'm off the mark with the light blue on the Ventura. I couldn't quite figure out what I needed to add, and eventually gave up and stuck with it.

Cheers

Jimmy

Edited by JimmyZ
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all, an update at last.

I've finally glued on the vertical stabilizer.

20190427-100513.jpg

And gave it a coat of paint

20190428-123038.jpg

And then glued on the painted horizontal stabilizers. I did make a bit of a mashup and broke off the vertical stab trying to get the fins in place. This photo shows after I've glued it back on.

20190512-162242.jpg

Here I've got the windshield on as well

20190514-170534.jpg

20190518-112612.jpg

I'm now busy placing the decals. Feels like I am getting closer to finishing this one :)

Cheers

Jimmy

Edited by JimmyZ
  • Like 3

Nice going on that Jimmy, its looking good, I like your paint job.

You might want to check your terminology though, the fins are the vertical bits & the tail plane the horizontal bit. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 5:18 AM, stevehnz said:

Nice going on that Jimmy, its looking good, I like your paint job.

You might want to check your terminology though, the fins are the vertical bits & the tail plane the horizontal bit. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Keen eye you have there! I did indeed mix it up :banghead: The horizontal stab is what the elevator is attached to, and the vertical stab is what the rudder is attached to.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few more progress photos from the last few weeks.

Decals on and varnished.

20190519-101421.jpg

I decided to cut off the OOB turret gun barrels and replace with, believe it or not, the nozzle from an old Humbrol poly cement bottle.

Humbrol.jpg

20190608-075705.jpg

Here I have it dry fitted on the turret

20190608-081131.jpg

Painted and glued

20190617-081123.jpg

I should be finished soon. I'm moving house next weekend, so doubt it will be before that.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 3

Good to see this progressing Jimmy, your replacement gun barrels look very fine.

On 17/06/2019 at 07:41, JimmyZ said:

I should be finished soon. I'm moving house next weekend, so doubt it will be before that.

When you are ready, good luck with the move

• 1 month later...

I've not posted an update in more than a month. Apologies for that. Standard lame excuse; "I was busy". Anyway...

The wheels as well as the wheel well doors are on

20190806-170458.jpg

And she's standing on her own legs!

20190806-170600.jpg

All that's left is the aerials and radio wires, which is usually no small job, but is the only thing standing between where I am now, and completion.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...