Nieuport 23

Q: what do you do when your in-progress biplane is drying? You start another. Only you make sure it's really really tiny.

Enter Eduard's Nieuport 23 in 72nd scale.

I got the dual combo, which comes with two whole models, PE details, and a bevy of Belgian, French, Tsarist Russian, and Czechoslovakian markings options.

For the first build, I think I'll go with this Russian plane with Bob written on both sides in cyrillic.

I'm digging the Russian roundels and the cool looking empty cockades.

IMG-20181126-212921022.jpg

So far, I've given the cockpit parts a nice woody look. Base coat was Tamiya flesh. The grain is brown artist acrylic, all sealed with clear yellow and orange.

The PE side framing has been primed white for now.

And yo, look; I wasn't kidding when I said this thing is tiny. I would have included a coin for comparison, but this is an international forum and our coins vary. So instead I spoke in a language most of us will understand.

beer.

IMG-20181126-212934909.jpg

Flying Dog, the best thing out of Maryland since....maybe since ever.

• Like 7

All or the Nieuport scouts are lovely airplanes. I have a 1/48 N17 in my stash that's near the top  of the queue (this might pull it into early next year :) ) and it's small.  Although it is altogether possible that it might see the light of day as a Siemens Shuckert DI, as the completed  shelf is swinging way too much towards RAF stuff at the moment ( I have a Gamecock, a Fury, a Flycatcher and a Bulldog all to build in the near future, with only a Pfalz DR1 and an Albatross DII for balance :) )

Very nice work so far.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

I have a Pegasus offering in the stash but it's still to be looked at.

Stuart

Thanks for the info.

Would be cool to have an interwar-RAF mini-group build. I have a hart and Bombay waiting for me to work up the courage.

Damn...modeling with an incoming flu, so bending over the bench all evening is killing my back right now. 

But I got all the little PE bits in. I tried Gator's Grip for the first time. It's good for flat PE, but less so fur butt-joints. Long setting time but better shear strength than CA.

It's not beautiful but it's good. Still need to add the stick and cross-bar thing.

IMG-20181127-213821018.jpg

And the 100% PE seat. Looks less messy to my naked eye. The black is wash. Maybe I can wipe it back a bit more.

IMG-20181127-213843546.jpg

I really don't like working with PE. But this was kind of pleasant.

• Like 3

It's all coming together quickly now.

I lost the PE backrest piece, bit it fit funny anyhow, so I'm okay with that. I'm going to work on the fun assembly next, then tack that on while I fit the forward cabane struts and test the sit of the upper wing.

IMG-20181129-211605597.jpg

On the other hand, I picked up an Airfix Wellington today, and it is absolutely divine, and I may clear the desk and start on it, instead.

No.

Focus, Ralph, focus!

• Like 4

On the other hand, I picked up an Airfix Wellington today, and it is absolutely divine, and I may clear the desk and start on it, instead.

It's all well and good going off to have fun with a wellington, but the  Nieuport  deserves to be finished first. Particularly as being a 23 not a 17 it's a somewhat unusual variant, and it seems to be coming along so nicely.

• Thanks 1

Painting went on throughout the day. Punctusted by tripz to the dog-park,  a college basketball game (Univ. Of Maryland vs Penn State), and a dinner and drinks with wife and friends.

How'd I do all that and all this painting?

Quick drying lacquers and acrylics, is how.

I primed the aircraft with MRP light gray this AM, then about an hour after came the MRP white aluminum. Thrn before leaving this afternoon, some Tamiya flesh on the wood areas. When I returned in the evening, some Vallejo brown and clear orange and then added some oil paints to simulate gunk on the engine firewall.

I also managed to rig the landing gear.

Just two pieces of blue-green EZ-Line to simulate the blue tinted French wires.

IMG-20181202-005504291.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to start work on the engine, v-struts and rig up the main wing.

Tomorrow is also Christmas decorations day, so modeling will come second. :D

• Like 7

She looks very 'dinky' sitting on the glue pot.

18 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

How'd I do all that and all this painting?

Quick drying lacquers and acrylics, is how

That and it''s very small. Most probably took longer to dilute your paints.

20 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Tomorrow is also Christmas decorations day, so modeling will come second

Leave the decoration's to the 'other half', they like that, you have more important things to get on with. :poke:

Stuart