Last of the Breed: Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk

I have discovered that group builds seem to be a good way for me to finish making models, so I decided to enter this group build with the following kit:

46067301361_fd53c58cd0_z.jpg

The 1:72 Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk by Antares courtesy of my wallet and Mr EBay. 

First Impressions

There is an excellent review & WIP thread  for this kit  here on Britmodeller by EricP from a few years ago, so I'm not going to repeat what he said in depth.  My impression is that this is a basic kit, so there are fewer things to go wrong; by the same token, it's also a basic kit (with emphasis on the basic) which means a lot more work to make a decent model than the typical modern kit. But, forewarned is forearmed as they say.  I'll be leveraging my spares box to the max and I've already gone ahead and sprung for an aftermarket resin R-1820 powerplant.

The Aircraft

I must admit I had never heard of this aircraft prior to this build and it is quite a handsome kite. Intended to replace existing the biplane and monoplane floatplanes in the Scout role for the US Navy, the Seahawk was also Curtiss’ attempt to redeem its corporate reputation after the Seamew debacle.  What they produced has been described the best US floatplane of WWII.  Seeing frontline action at the tail-end of WWII, the Seahawk soldiered on into the immediate post war era until being rendered obsolete by technological advances in radar gunnery and the helicopter.  The Seahawk was quietly withdraw from service in 1949 with no examples surviving in wild or captivity today.  More information can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_SC_Seahawk

Long, B. J. (2004).  Naval Fighters No 38: Curtiss SC-1/2 Seahawk. Ginter Books (I think this is the definitive reference text on this aircraft)

The Build

As this is a maritime patrol group build, I intend to model a post-war Seahawk in floatplane configuration.  I’m still vacillating on the exact scheme.  Proper plastic-bashing will start after the 1st when the build officially starts.  

Edited by BlackAck
I can't spell apparently
  • Like 9

So after a week's holiday, I'm anxious to get to work.  Here's a nice shot of the sprue and extra goodies I'll be mashing into shape:

44434924220_c16976775a_z.jpg

I happen to have the evening to myself, so I started.  As others have said, the interior really is the low point of this kit, so I've jazzed it up with some scrap resin to represent side consoles and some spare Mike Grant decals for the console switches/panels.  I tried using Mike Grant's excellent instrument face decals, but this IP was too much of a pig, so a dab or two of white & silver and it looks passable.  It's also worth baring in mind that the canopy is fairly thick and not much will be visible (assuming I decide to use it).  Here's where the interior stands after a few hours work:

44434933060_ed57b8b183_z.jpg

Purists and Rivet counters may wish to look away, but I used a homemade mix of French Blue and Zinc Chromate Yellow as a stand in for Zinc Chromate Green, which looks okay when compared to information and photos I've found in the fascinating world of US Navy interior paint colours 🤪.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys.  What with going on holiday,  going back to work, the holidays, etc., this group build has been about 4th or 5th on my list of things to do.  I did want to make progress though, so after five minutes here, and twenty minutes there, here's where I stand:

45795655564_e980cff23b_z.jpg

All the major components are together.

45795660574_2f2c6574ef_z.jpg

Here, I attempted to represent the raised and domed combing that surrounds the instrument panel on the real aircraft, using a scrap 1:72 bomblet and putty.  I have yet to sand it into its final shape. To hide the kit's lack of detail, I've drafted in - get it..? - a pilot figure from my spares box.  The harness are made from leftover tape.  Gap filling will commence shortly.

31579229207_c6b2131d0a_z.jpg

Lastly, here is the 1:72 scale resin R-1820 from Victory Models all glued together.  A nice little addon, it does not come with instructions, so lots of test fitting and careful study of source materials is recommended.

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 4

Hi,

I am also doing now the SC-1 (without build thread unfortunately) and I have found one impotant detail missed. Please look at this photo:

SC1WingsFolded.jpg

On the top of the pylon - the fuselage to main float support - there is a output of air from oil cooler. This is completly omitted in kit!

Here is another take of it

SC-1_Seahawk_VCS-10_44.jpg

I thought that it is only from right side but it is from both:

jemoon-jack8tn.jpg

Be prepared, that the canopy adjustment is a bit tricky!

Regards

J-W

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Gap filling will commence shortly.

I hope you have already found out that fuselage fits ok, only the squared (in section) side pannels in cockpit (added by you) did not allow to bring fuselage halves together. If you will tapper them a bit to form of keyston (top smaller in section) the fuselage will not need any filler :)

Cheers

J-W

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been slow with work etc, but here is where we stand as of this evening:

46867222701_688ba321da_z.jpg

Interestingly enough there was no provision for the engine exhausts, I had to drill mounting holes for those myself.

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Time to put some paint on this.  The first coat was thinned Hu 15 which I thought was far too bright blue for a post war Sea Hawk, so I brush painted the second coat of Hu 15 mixed with a liberal amount of Hu 33.  I have yet to repaint the float, but that will be fixed soon. I will have to turn the whole thing upside down, so I want it to be bone dry before I do that.  About 30 minutes of work results in a gorgeous blue-black colour, that looks much more appropriate to the period. 

For the latecomers to the thread, it's a fairly uncomplicated kit, good for a young modeller, a first floatplane, or someone like myself getting back into hobby.  This kit has the option of making a Sea Hawk as a conventional land based aircraft with wheels, and that is a definite plus for lovers of strange aircraft.

47053987001_ee0eb12bc9_z.jpg

Mrs BlackAck is calling me away now, so I must go... 

Edited by BlackAck
Poor command of the English language
  • Like 5

I've begun turning my attention to my final scheme.  Most of the markings can be replicated using Super Scale USN 60 degree White letters (set No. 72-229) from my stash.

The Seahawks of the USS Little Rock (CL-92) are well documented.  I've also seen a single photograph of one of the Seahawks assigned to the USS Manchester (CL-83) which was quite colourful.

Any other ideas?

• Like 1

Steve, thanks for the info, it'll be useful.  Unfortunately, my build has hit a snag.  Cursed with hands of ham, I dropped the Seahawk.  This is the result:

46391603384_923b3d063a_z.jpg

On the plus sides, the breaks were clean and so should be easily repairable.  And it makes decalling easier.  

But I could have really done without it.

• Sad 5

Success!  Well sort of.  The model's back together, the join is noticeable, but you really have to look closely.  I've decided to go ahead and add the insignia and the danger line to the float.  The dark blue and the splash of red really make things pop.  While I'm waiting, I've painted the prop, the radar pod and the antennae.

33264467378_5c27a6acc8_z.jpg

I'm now just waiting for the code letters to arrive in the post as I didn't have enough in my spares box.  

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...