Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a First real build in 30 years

Hi There,

Here are some photos of the first real build I've done in 30 years. I wanted to get back into the hobby and when I picked this Spitfire up in Home Bargains for £3 I thought it would be good to learn with and I could build it for my nephew.

There are faults and I've had accidents. I dropped it last night and the undercarriage is not level after repair. My blutac worms were too thick to allow me to get the camouflage right.

I have read through many threads on this forum and to those of you from whom I have shamelessly stolen ideas and techniques. Thank you.

Yes, I know there are faults but this is a long way from my first kit all those years ago. My Mum took me to Woolies in Dingwall to cheer me up as I was recovering from the smallpox vaccine almost killing me.

That English Electric Lightning was coated in glue, unpainted and the decals were all over the place. This, I think is much better.

Any comments and criticism will be gratefully received.

dWZiTYZ.jpg

TYw5lmQ.jpg

meWes5v.jpg

5CXrkw0.jpg

xf5ItdT.jpg

BJTKG38.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 32

Ok you've thrown in a lot of excuses for your appalling and shoddy work. Yes it's obvious the camouflage isn't quite right. It isn't perfect but if that's an example of your work after a thirty year absence then you've wasted thirty years. 

It's pretty good actually. You should be quite pleased with yourself.

BTW my first kit was bought from Woolies too. Smallpox was a curse, fortunately eliminated now. Lucky escape for you.

• Thanks 1

If that’s your first effort after all this time, then I can’t imagine how good you’ll be in a years time. That’s a pretty decent spitfire. Nice paintwork, some nice detailing and the base is awesome. My first effort after returning to the hobby was quite awful and will never be shown to anyone - but it lead to greater things so I still have huge affection for it. Welcome back to the hobby - it only gets better from here 😀

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, noelh said:

Ok you've thrown in a lot of excuses for your appalling and shoddy work. Yes it's obvious the camouflage isn't quite right. It isn't perfect but if that's an example of your work after a thirty year absence then you've wasted thirty years. 

It's pretty good actually. You should be quite pleased with yourself.

BTW my first kit was bought from Woolies too. Smallpox was a curse, fortunately eliminated now. Lucky escape for you.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great comeback build :clap2:

4 hours ago, kapam said:

Very nice indeed!

I may stand corrected, but you could have the under-wing radiator fairing facing the wrong way.

Nonetheless, it's a very fine build.

:goodjob:

You are absolutely right. Not sure how I managed that but it would explain having to shave a bit off to get it to fit. 😳

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good start. Looks like you are well underway to doing some great work. 

54 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

If that’s your first effort after all this time, then I can’t imagine how good you’ll be in a years time. That’s a pretty decent spitfire. Nice paintwork, some nice detailing and the base is awesome. My first effort after returning to the hobby was quite awful and will never be shown to anyone - but it lead to greater things so I still have huge affection for it. Welcome back to the hobby - it only gets better from here 😀

11 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Wonderful build, looks really really good

Many thanks to you all for your kind comments. It was built for my nephew, he will get it today and will no doubt tell me which kit is next.

Cheers,

Alistair

Nothing to complain about with that, mate.  I'm on number 14 since re-entering and I still manage to get them all over the shop.  Just finished a Stuka that wound up looking like it wouldn't have passed quality control at the factory even on the inspector's day off... And forgot to put the radiator in before closing the fuselage (grrr).  The stuff you see from the pros can be a bit intimidating but they'll all remind you, we build for ourselves, for enjoyment and it's not a competition.  I build them as well as my skills and tools will allow and revel in the "Zen" experience of relaxation during the process.  I show mine on here not to impress but simply because the denizens of this little treehouse are the only people that don't suddenly remember important appointments when they see me select "pictures" on my phone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

Nothing to complain about with that, mate.  I'm on number 14 since re-entering and I still manage to get them all over the shop.  Just finished a Stuka that wound up looking like it wouldn't have passed quality control at the factory even on the inspector's day off... And forgot to put the radiator in before closing the fuselage (grrr).  The stuff you see from the pros can be a bit intimidating but they'll all remind you, we build for ourselves, for enjoyment and it's not a competition.  I build them as well as my skills and tools will allow and revel in the "Zen" experience of relaxation during the process.  I show mine on here not to impress but simply because the denizens of this little treehouse are the only people that don't suddenly remember important appointments when they see me select "pictures" on my phone!

Thanks for that. I had a lot of fun building it, not least trying to get some more work completed on it between working and visits from my nephew when it had to go into hiding. It's a surprise for him. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AliGauld said:

I had a lot of fun building

That's the bottom line, bruv.  I've decided to show my dodgy Stuka after all... I just need to dream up a good backstory for the pilot that covers all the dodginess of the build!

• Thanks 1

I'm with Uncle Pete on this one....I've also just returned to the hobby after a 'few' years off - so far only managed one completed kit in the last year. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034378-raf-black-hawk-errri-mean-a-hawk-thats-black/

The great thing about this site is that everybody appreciates that we are all at different levels of skill - I marvel at some of the professional builds seen here and try out some of the tips that are generously shared. I think your Spit is excellent and look forward to seeing future builds.

Nice to hear from someone in Polmont....not a million miles form Quack Towers.

• Thanks 1

A small step for humanity, granted, but apparently a big step up from that Lightning 30 years ago!

A very creditable model after that hiatus and your nephew will be really happy.

Now that you've got started, just continue on a promising career as a modeller!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I'm with Uncle Pete on this one....I've also just returned to the hobby after a 'few' years off - so far only managed one completed kit in the last year. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034378-raf-black-hawk-errri-mean-a-hawk-thats-black/

The great thing about this site is that everybody appreciates that we are all at different levels of skill - I marvel at some of the professional builds seen here and try out some of the tips that are generously shared. I think your Spit is excellent and look forward to seeing future builds.

Nice to hear from someone in Polmont....not a million miles form Quack Towers.

4 hours ago, FatFlyHalf said:

A very neat and tidy build.

I'd be proud of that any day.

I am quite proud of it despite the flaws.

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A small step for humanity, granted, but apparently a big step up from that Lightning 30 years ago!

A very creditable model after that hiatus and your nephew will be really happy.

Now that you've got started, just continue on a promising career as a modeller!

Kind regards,

Joachim

His face was an absolute picture and made it even more worthwhile

2 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Welcome back to the hobby!  Great job on the kit.  Now comes the fun part... choosing the next model. :smile:

He's just told me that I have to build the Sopwith camel next. We'll see how that goes.

Many thanks for your kind comments,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Nice build after a long hiatus, I joined this forum a couple of years ago and have learned a lot. Done a few Group Builds which have made me actually finish a few models! (just a few mind!).

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1

Nice build for the first one back :) love the base

Only thing that I would do to finish it of is paint the propeller tips yellow as you've missed that, but on the whole, top marks

I've only been back into the hobby a couple of years and I must admit it's been a learning curve, but I've got so much more patience now to take my time

Have you thought about a larger scale for your next one as I find 1/48th is so much easier for aging eyes and clumsy fingers ;) 

Regards

Ian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

Nice build for the first one back :) love the base

Only thing that I would do to finish it of is paint the propeller tips yellow as you've missed that, but on the whole, top marks

I've only been back into the hobby a couple of years and I must admit it's been a learning curve, but I've got so much more patience now to take my time

Have you thought about a larger scale for your next one as I find 1/48th is so much easier for aging eyes and clumsy fingers ;) 

Regards

Ian

Hi There,

I have one or two larger scale kits lying around and may try cobbling something together.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeaaaalll said:

Well done!

I'm currently working on the same model too, but I'm stuck. I didn't receive a decal placement guide for any of the small decals. Did one come with yours?

Hi There,

Mine was the starter pack version and only had the reduced decal set. Just the roundels, main lettering and tailplane. It doesn't come with the walkway and stencil stuff. 

Sorry.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1