1/48 MBB BK-117

Hi guys,

I started on refurbishing the ancient and extremely rare Revell Junior BK-117 snapkit recently. The kit is very basic and has no interior (besides two "couches") or clear parts. The fuselage dimensions are 1/48, making things a bit easier. Started with the floorboard, center console, instrument panel and cowl, and then realized that I better get the blanks done for the clear parts. These were made from resin and filler, but the overhead windows didn't feature, and had to be carefully cut out. Noticed that the engine covers did not have the bulges, and the middle section was too high. Cut two slots on either side of the center line to lower it, and then added two strips of plastic card on top of the engine covers to shape the bulges. The intakes had to be opened up a bit, which brought another issue to light. The fairing that separates the intakes is too narrow and too rounded. This was cut out and a new one built from plastic card. The main rotor blades are 12.5mm too short, and the chord just a fraction short. Lengthened one blade with a section of another to use as a master. Also added a thin strip to the trailing edge, of which most will be sanded down to adjust the chord.

QXSYeo.jpg

ODZPKX.jpg

TEzEi5.jpg

ei6BwX.jpg

SoWp3E.jpg

de35fI.jpg

IO514G.jpg

3z41YR.jpg

7XPZIv.jpg

bjIBBJ.jpg

XCCF6z.jpg

8Zx1rr.jpg

YyXC5e.jpg

Cheers,

John

Edited by Bladerunner
  • Like 3

Thanks guys :)

Bell209, I'm building a SAAF BK117, and what a mix they are...

Some came from Venda, Transkei, Ciskei, and Bophuthatswana. They were A3, A-4 and B1. All currently upgraded to B1 as far as I know. My model will be one that came from Venda serial number 381, (an A3) with the older type dogbox airfilter and without the windows on the clamshell doors.

Edited by Bladerunner
Missing info

It's coming out nicely! I'd love a B-2 or C-1 to do in the (then) Sunshine Coast Helicopter Rescue Service colours when we were sponsored by AGL. Maybe one day someone wil give us a kit in 1/48 that covers a few versions. Even a BK117C-2/EC145 would be nice.

Bell209, glad you like it. It's unfortunate that this lovely helicopter has been neglected in 1/48. The plan is to use this build as masters for a resin kit. I intentionally made the effort to retain the standard intakes and be useful for modelers that would want to build another version without the airfilter. The external differences are minimal between the variants. An EC-145/UH-72 will be a possible future spinoff from this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...