Lockheed Hudson Mk.V ##Finished##

Reading back through the chat I realised I originally signed up for GB in 2013 with the plan to build a Hudson.

My entry for this GB is Italeri 1/72 Lockheed Hudson, will be finished a 500 Squadron aircraft in the classic Dark Sea Grey / Dark Slate Grey over White.

45151525605_fe81dd9ae6_c.jpg

Edited by Jb65rams
Title updated
  • Like 13

Thanks for your comments, from the various builds on here and online I realize I am in for a challenging build.  To be honest I do quite enjoy the challange.

Already have the Eduard mask, I tend to buy a pre-cut mask for most of my builds if they are available, especially if there alot of windows to mask.

I been fondling the plastic this morning and doing a bit of dry fitting. Things I have noticed so far, quite a bit of flash, the mating edges on the fuselage are uneven and will require some careful clear up. The bulkhead with the wing spars seems to foul the fuselage locating pins, may need to remove the pin.

Some builds suggest a shim is require on the forward part fuselage to match the profile of the clear parts, the Revell instructions for the Mk1 suggest you might need to remove some material. To my surprise Initial dry fitting suggest mine is ok as is.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

Some builds suggest a shim is require on the forward part fuselage to match the profile of the clear parts, the Revell instructions for the Mk1 suggest you might need to remove some material. To my surprise Initial dry fitting suggest mine is ok as is.

That sounds hopeful, maybe Italeri made a small change to the mould?

Good luck with this one,.... it is a bit of a pig but is buildable,.....I`ve done around five of them now and some of them are here;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/search/&q=hudson&author=tonyot&search_and_or=or 

What I would suggest is to replace the turret with one from a Revell Halifax if you can get hold of one,.... the BP turret in the Revell kit is the correct shape while the Hudson kits turret isn`t good. The hole in the fuselage will need to be but out larger if you do this,..... but it is quite easy to do and well worth the extra effort.

Good luck and bear with it,..... sand and fill, sand and fill!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The other problem with the kit is that the engine cowlings are oversized for the P&W.  You used to be able to buy replacements from Red Roo but they ran out.  Perhaps it is worth a check to see if they have run some more off.  Otherwise you might have problems finding anything suitable - I gather (can't confirm!) that a pair from the old Airfix Beaufighter might do.  The Catalina had the same engines but they look (to me) to be bigger cowlings.

• 3 weeks later...

I am presently working on a 1/72 Airfix Hudson. Building it as A16-112 mark IV. Have obtain Quickboost cowlings for the Italeria Hudson. These arrived in the mail about 2 weeks ago.These are definitely better  than the supplied Airfix cowling/engine. I am replacing the engines as well. I have ordered replacements and I am awaiting delivery. I do not know they will arrive as no date was provided when I placed the order.   Airfix supply the Wright cyclone engine not the P&W double wasp.

My other challenge, as mentioned in the thread, is to replace the “strange” turret. I am Working on this. I am experimenting with some ideas. One is to use the turret from a new tooling BP Defiant to make a mold and cast my own turret. I plan to make the mould this weekend.

Any ideas will be welcomed

Alan🖖

Alan, Graham - thanks for your suggestions. I have purchased some quickboost cowlings. If the kit cowlings were oversized, so are these, the engines would need filing to fit into the kit cowlings, fit the quickboost cowlings with out filing. Going to have to go with the kit turret as I don't have anything in the spares / stash to replace it with.

I have to admit that this build is slowly sapping my mojo, everything needs work to get a reasonable fit.

46748572622_388bf0a3c1_c.jpg
Yes the kit had wingspars, but found they were to deep for the wings!

Buy using lots of tamiya extra thin and tape it is slowly coming together.
46748571062_cda075ba0d_c.jpg

Engines painted and the aforementioned cowls.

46748570002_4f73e94f05_c.jpg

46842128622_fa88f8f27b_c.jpg

I've given it a coat of primers, this identified a number of seams etc that need further clear up. Also realized that the tail was skewed, so had to removed it and re fix it.

This is the current state of play. Still some more clean up to do.

46842127712_59c622d93b_c.jpg

• Like 7

Glad I could be of assistance. There are some great photos of the Temora Hudson at 

aussiemodeller.com.au. These have given me some ideas. The quick boost engines arrived. As a result my weekend plans for the model changed. JB I look forward to future posts of you progress.

Alan🖖

There is another site for Hudson Photos. If you search Lockheed Hudson Walkaround and look for grubbyfingers you will find some great pics. I usd one of these photos to carve out for the wing slats. The Airfix kit does not have any detail thru the wing so, knife, file, patience and time was required. The Airfix kit requires effort as there is not a major section of the fuselage, wings, engines, nacalles or tail that has not required modification. I am presently working on the cockpit, radio room etc.

Alan🖖

• 2 weeks later...

@MikeR 'Slow and methodical' is definitely the way to go with this kit.

Spent the last week in the paint shop. Primed with grey Halfords Plastic Primer to tidy up seams etc before giving a covering of Halfords White Plastic Primer.

Masked and upper surfaces sprayed with Extra Dark Sea Grey.

46326681354_bc82a1fd36_c.jpg

Masked ready for the Dark Slate grey. 

47050557391_5d8e5530f9_c.jpg

And the results when the masking is removed. Note the cheap alternative to Blu Tack I used left a nasty sticky residue behind which took quite a bit of work to removed.

47050556401_c7cd0562df_c.jpg

I think the wavy demarcation line is a little too exaggerated, but overall happy with the result.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...