1/72 Special Hobby & FRROM - Couple of French Dassault SMB2

VG 33

Hello

Here are a couple of Special Hobby / Azur FRROM 1/72 Dassault SMB2 I built just in time to bring them at SMW Telford.

Actually, those kits are not already available and they are test shots given to me by the manufacturer. They are likely to be produced by the begining of next year.

First, here is the SMB2 N° 88 10-RB from Escadron de Chasse 2/10 Seine in natural metal finish in 1962 at Creil AFB.

m_542884374_0.jpg

m_542884387_0.jpg

Next is the SMB2 N° 59 10-SD from Escadron de Chasse 1/10 Valois covered by the last camouflage in 1974 at Creil AFB.

m_542884379_0.jpg

m_542884382_0.jpg

Both of them are, except the scratch pilot harness, strictly built from the sprues, as the box does not exist. The decals came from two Berna Decals sheets (72-52 & 72-54).

They were shown on the Special Hobby space at SMW. The French SMB2 will be produced under the brand Azur FRROM and the Israeli aircraft under Special Hobby.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 33

52 minutes ago, Wez said:

Patrick,

They look lovely and you've done a great job with them.

One question, where are the weapons and stores?

Nothing so far but there could be tanks under the French wings. I do not know about the Israeli versions.

Patrick

A fine looking pair of Super Mystères!

I always wondered why the French Air Force adopted this camouflage scheme for the SMB2 that resembles so much the US SEA-scheme unlike the style used on Mirages and Jaguars.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hello

Here are a couple of Special Hobby / Azur FRROM 1/72 Dassault SMB2 I built just in time to bring them at SMW Telford.

Actually, those kits are not already available and they are test shots given to me by the manufacturer. They are likely to be produced by the begining of next year.

First, here is the SMB2 N° 88 10-RB from Escadron de Chasse 2/10 Seine in natural metal finish in 1962 at Creil AFB.

m_542884374_0.jpg

m_542884387_0.jpg

Next is the SMB2 N° 59 10-SD from Escadron de Chasse 1/10 Valois covered by the last camouflage in 1974 at Creil AFB.

m_542884379_0.jpg

m_542884382_0.jpg

Both of them are, except the scratch pilot harness, strictly built from the sprues, as the box does not exist. The decals came from two Berna Decals sheets (72-52 & 72-54).

They were shown on the Special Hobby space at SMW. The French SMB2 will be produced under the brand Azur FRROM and the Israeli aircraft under Special Hobby.

Patrick

Now you are getting me very excited! Rather teasing considering these are long awaited and now not for release until 2019!!!!!! :(.. I'll be looking for the Azur release eagerly! There are tanks with the kits, aren't there? A big oversight if not! 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

Those look lovely. Always had a soft spot for the Super Mystere. Now how about having a word with your friends at SH and let us have a 1/48 version - that would be truly cool!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Those look lovely. Always had a soft spot for the Super Mystere. Now how about having a word with your friends at SH and let us have a 1/48 version - that would be truly cool!

Cheers

Malcolm

Malcolm,

SH have stated they intend to do the Super Mystère for those with failing eyesight and fumbling fingers!

Given the effort that's gone into this kit it would be a waste if they didn't.

I'd be up for one in 1/48th but at last count, twenty in 1/72nd and that's just to cover French options!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Wez said:

Malcolm,

SH have stated they intend to do the Super Mystère for those with failing eyesight and fumbling fingers!

Given the effort that's gone into this kit it would be a waste if they didn't.

I'd be up for one in 1/48th but at last count, twenty in 1/72nd and that's just to cover French options!

Ha! You know me! Well I do struggle with the smaller stuff but come to think of it - a collection in lots of different French nat metal birds would look very nice. Think how nice a couple of 1/48 birds will look though. Mmmmmmm

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Doc72 said:

A fine looking pair of Super Mystères!

I always wondered why the French Air Force adopted this camouflage scheme for the SMB2 that resembles so much the US SEA-scheme unlike the style used on Mirages and Jaguars.  

Hello

Thank you.

From 1967 the SMB2 were overhauled in Israel and the first aircraft came back camouflaged. At the time Israel were ordering the MDD Phantom II so I supposed this is the reason. Later French Air Force decided to camouflage the SMB2 and tested two types with the first one with strictly USAF colours and straight edges and another one like this here with different colors. The latter became the standard.

I am working on another SMB2 with the USAF camouflage operating at EC 12, Cambrai AFB.

I do not know anything about a 1/48 SMB2 but I suppossed it depends on how many 1/72 kits will be sold.

Patrick

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

I do not know anything about a 1/48 SMB2 but I suppossed it depends on how many 1/72 kits will be sold.

I'd happy with the French  1/72s...... Although I'd probably also try a Honduran Sa'ar again.

Martin

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Although I'd probably also try a Honduran Sa'ar again.

I'd like to do a Honduran one, just to show the modifications and to be fair for the markings.

One thing I'm going to have a rummage for is a towed target dart and winch, I really want to to one of the camouflaged French jets with the colourful dart under the wings, a great contrast.

Edited by Wez
grammar

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Ah, yes, like in "the" book :). Scratch one?

Yes, like in "the" book!

Scratch build would be possible but SH have declared their intention to release a Sa'ar, their published pictures of their CAD renders show the extended fuselage and cable ducts.

Based on those I can wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all of you.

Here are some pictures of  the kit in progress :

m_543913601_0.jpg

m_543913615_0.jpg

m_543913587_0.jpg

m_543913594_0.jpg

For those interested by the Israeli modified version I can add this picture with the sprue I had not used ...

Patrick

m_543912954_0.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, Claudio Moura said:

Would a great idea include Hondurean markings in the SA´AR version of Special Hobby kit!

I hope and expect they will.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Claudio Moura said:

Would a great idea include Hondurean markings in the SA´AR version of Special Hobby kit!

Hello

As far as I know these Hondurean fighters are in the pipeline.

Patrick

• Like 1