3D design and printed collection of British prototypes and proposed designs

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of compulsory time indoors probably means that some modeling will be getting done. First splurge is of the virtual variety. This is the accumulation of a couple of sessions taking screenshots whenever I remember.

The Fairey Large F.155 is a pretty big beast of a plane so let's be getting on with that. It looks suffici9ently different from my other prints to be a new challenge

Some profiles put in Fusion 360 and a shapely snout to get started with

Screenshot (33)

And then trying to figure out all of the fuselage profiles - it looks deceptively simple as a3 view drawing but there are more compound curves and changes of shape than you'd expect in this beast. The engine intakes have a bit of change of profile from near square to quite rounded at the same time as there is some area-rule-esque waisting. That gave the drawing program and me some problems and need for thinking before I managed to get something halfway right

Screenshot (35)

But it slowly (very slowly) starts to look, well... plane like

Screenshot (34)

First attempt at the cockpit and canopy wasn't very good, a bit crude really and the intakes caused no end of grief

Screenshot (36)

Still trying to figure out why some of the profiles and shapes aren't working but making progress

Screenshot (37)

Getting better (now with added pitot, not that it'll print but more for the look of the thing) intakes and cockpit have mostly taken shape

Screenshot (39)

It even looks fast! It is almost a shame to sully it with flying surfaces

Screenshot (40)

Mundane details like wings and tailfin added

Screenshot (42)

Almost test print ready - just needs copied to a new file and broken into some easier to print chunks. I'm liking the look of this.

Screenshot (44)

• Like 8

On 26/11/2018 at 20:26, Space Ranger said:

A great book for anyone interested in British aviation and RAF official thinking of the period. Also a great source of inspiration for scratchbuilding!

I'm particularly taken with the Fairey "Delta III" (F155T), as shown on the cover, myself. S&M were rumored to be working on a 1/72 kit, but so far it has not materialized.

… it has taken a while but here it is from the same vantage point and angle as the cover

Screenshot (45)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Robert said:

That looks very nice Alistair. What scale are you going to print it ?

Regards

Robert

Thanks! Likely 1/72 to fit in with my other stuff but easy enough to do at 150% if I decide on 1/48 at a later date

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just seen ads for this book:

s-l400.jpg

Amazon describes it as hardcover, 200 pages, published last December. However, I have a softcover 130-page book by Mr. Sharp entitled "RAF Secret jets of Cold War Britain," which I purchased last fall, and containing the same cover image. Is there any advantage to owning the hardcover copy? What is the difference, other than the page count?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I've just seen ads for this book:

s-l400.jpg

Amazon describes it as hardcover, 200 pages, published last December. However, I have a softcover 130-page book by Mr. Sharp entitled "RAF Secret jets of Cold War Britain," which I purchased last fall, and containing the same cover image. Is there any advantage to owning the hardcover copy? What is the difference, other than the page count?

Hadn’t seen that. Hmmm... birthday is next month so that might go on the wishlist. Even if it is substantially similar my magazine-like Secret Jets book is getting pretty tatty from being bent and mangled into the scanner

On 24/03/2020 at 18:56, Andwil said:

What a fantastic looking aircraft, a pity it was never built.  Actually has a touch of Tupolev about it.

AW

It looks a bit like a Tu-22M Backfire. Some great work going on here with the 3-D printing!

Regards,

Jason

On 04/04/2020 at 06:07, Learstang said:

Some great work going on here with the 3-D printing!

Thanks, I think like many 3D printer owners and users my machine is busy trying to churn out as many PPE parts for medics and key workers as possible.

49741121926_14321930d8_b.jpg

Not the most optimal way to make visors (3D print is not ever likely to displace injection moulding etc. for mass production of thousands or millions of identical things any time soon) but hopefully they can help in a small way. 

With the printer tied up or at least limited to things I can turn around quickly without making a dent in how many visors I can make per day  for the foreseeable future thoughts turn to the DH110 and the Sea Vixen kit I received from @TheBaron

My to do list:

- assemble main fuselage body

- sand off extraneous lumps and bumps

- measure up for rounded 3D printed nose

- trim away top half of booms 

- replace mid wing section around and under booms

- replace top half of booms and fair into mid wing section (3D print)

- trim and reshape tail fins

- cut exhaust section of fuselage ready for 3D printed insert

- weep quietly and contemplate folly of trying to backdate an FAW2 into the prototype

Seems straightforward. The prints should only be a half hour or so at a time so they’ll take more time in the planning than doing. Fixing the wings and boom is probably the hardest part as I’ve got two complex shapes to fashion and then blend into the existing structure. Unfortunately the metal finish is going to be pretty unforgiving about hiding joins and blemishes

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I forgot. 

- trim, reshape and polish up canopy to try and mimic earlier type

so... some progress

49742930863_e41c4e87aa_b.jpg

The mother and father of all filling and sanding jobs to do but it looks like it is headed in the right direction

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/04/2020 at 05:07, LostCosmonauts said:

my machine is busy trying to churn out as many PPE parts for medics and key workers as possible.

It turns out that one of my pals is doing the same for his local care homes. So I’ve just been able to donate all the too-thin-for-modelling clear plastic that I’ve bought over the years for him to use as face shields.

Nice work on the DH 110 prototype - it’s given me an idea for a Vixen vacform that I’ve half assembled very badly...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

it’s given me an idea for a Vixen vacform that I’ve half assembled very badly...

Just take your time so that mine can drop down the page list and fade from view a bit so I’m not too badly embarrassed by the comparison of your result and mine

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Just take your time so that mine can drop down the page list and fade from view a bit so I’m not too badly embarrassed by the comparison of your result and mine

Annoying isn't it when you post something you're pleased with and the following day some complete git posts one ten times better. 

The swine. :weep:

• Haha 3

You've caught the shape there very nicely Alistair. Another gem to add to the experimental stable! :clap2:

What's next?

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Well I don’t think this complete git will be giving you any trouble:

Nope.

You'll have to give us a clue Adrian. Is it an aircaft of some kind? :hmmm:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

What's next?

Printer is still doing PPE visors for some nursing homes so I think it’ll have to be something from the stash without too much mucking around making new parts.

Thinking either the all-weather fighter Canberra or the natty red and white Javelin at the IWM (or both)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1