3D design and printed collection of British prototypes and proposed designs

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Those look like fun ^_^ I'm going to have to petition for a 1:48 Miles M.52 though :Tasty:

That's where this tech really comes in useful - no need for a petition. could run one off for you just by setting the printer to print at 150% of the original scale if you want?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

That's where this tech really comes in useful - no need for a petition. could run one off for you just by setting the printer to print at 150% of the original scale if you want?

:lol: awesome!  Is it really that simple?  Don't you have to do things like changing the thickness of parts, or am I over-thinking it, or imagining that it's a kit, rather than a single part? :hmmm:

• Like 1

I always CAD 1:1 (and at nominal ) and then scale the print. I’d imagine if your going bigger than 1/72 you wouldn’t have to do anything, but smaller might need some engineering (bodging?)

• Thanks 1

On 05/03/2020 at 06:21, Marklo said:

I always CAD 1:1 (and at nominal ) and then scale the print. I’d imagine if your going bigger than 1/72 you wouldn’t have to do anything, but smaller might need some engineering (bodging?)

True, trying to scale down the M.52 for the 30% sized unmanned test rocket really didn’t work well. The flying surfaces were just too thin and the print layers made the whole thing look messy

In the meantime after a bit of sanding and filling it is time to start throwing some paint around.

The metallic has highlighted some more sanded needing doing at the joints but I’m looking forward to seeing this with roundels etc. on already. Looks pleasingly menacing and retro futuristic

49634747468_cf214fa5fd_b.jpg

49635268301_bd1fda25d7_b.jpg

• Like 14

Wow! Great result there. Maybe a coat of Halfords filler primer (my go-to) would smooth it out a bit? 

Whilst you're about it, the Fairey F155T looks pretty cool. Just sayin' :whistle:

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow! Great result there. Maybe a coat of Halfords filler primer (my go-to) would smooth it out a bit? 

Whilst you're about it, the Fairey F155T looks pretty cool. Just sayin' :whistle:

Regards,

Adrian

Believe it or not that just popped to the top of my list as well. If I remember rightly that was @Space Ranger's pick of the bunch as well. I was rereading the magazine that kicked this off to decide which one to do next and realised that I should probably do them in descending order of preference from the official decision making at the time so the Fairey Large it is

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Believe it or not that just popped to the top of my list as well. If I remember rightly that was @Space Ranger's pick of the bunch as well. I was rereading the magazine that kicked this off to decide which one to do next and realised that I should probably do them in descending order of preference from the official decision making at the time so the Fairey Large it is

A lot of good reference material here:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/fairey-f155t-or-329-interceptor-fairey-delta-3.3083/

• Thanks 2

To paraphrase Aristotle (as we do all the time on BM); One DH108 Swallow part doth not a summer make

49635532983_7986133b25_b.jpg

*Edit - I realise I've missed out a bit of canopy framing. Will go back and fix that for v1.1*

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Really useful, thanks @Space Ranger - same pictures as I was about to scan so you’ve saved me a chore there

You're welcome, of course. I presume the model will be 1/72? It's a big 'un. Hope it doesn't overtax your printer.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

All this work make me really think if I should get a 3D printer myself...

That is a very slippery (but fun) slope to start down. The Ender 3 Pro I use is pretty cheap as a way to try dipping a toe to in the water but you can start designing your own parts and models on Fusion 360 for free even before getting a printer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One printed part might not make a Swallow but 5 of them and you start to get something that is looking distinctly Swallow-like.

49640149796_b2e6405f96_b.jpg

This won’t be the finished version but I’ll tidy and fill the seams and paint this up while I think on how to revise further for V1.1

• Like 10

V2.0 of the RAE design with engines in the fuselage glued together and started sanding.

49651011118_8f459a2962_b.jpg

Thinking about reprinting the cockpit area as it hasn’t come out well.

Currently in a two tone “I was running low on grey filament and it’ll all get painted anyway” colour scheme 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Looking cool! Have you considered splitting ailerons from the wings as separate parts? 

That engine looks like it would take up such a sizable chunk of the interior fuselage i cant imagine where the undercarriage would fold away to! 

I had a bit of a go at that separating the ailerons on the Vickers 583 but didn’t leave enough clearance so it largely got lost in the print process. Need to give that another go (or try scribing for the first time)

I don’t think they gave much consideration at all to where the wheels, weapons, fuel, crew or anything went. This was very much the red haired step-child of the two designs proffered 

• Haha 1

I admit to knowing nothing about 3D printing, it all looks like a miracle to me. Those prototypes are looking good anyway. How big can these printers make a model, could one in theory make a 3D printed 1/72 Andover, for example? Or even better, a 1/48 Victor!?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I admit to knowing nothing about 3D printing, it all looks like a miracle to me. Those prototypes are looking good anyway. How big can these printers make a model, could one in theory make a 3D printed 1/72 Andover, for example? Or even better, a 1/48 Victor!?

Depends on the machine. Mine will do a max volume of a part at about  25cm cubed but they go all the way up to making 1:1 scale boats and submersibles at about 6m by 2.5m by 2.5m (a small shipping container size)

Breaking it down into parts you could probably do the Andover or Victor even on my cheap Chinese machine. It’d just take patience

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Some progress getting as far as starting to slap some paint around

49655062158_ccea7b3202_b.jpg

Love that collection of shapes all seen beside each other Alastair - this is a super collection of airframes in progress! 👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1