3D design and printed collection of British prototypes and proposed designs

I have just caught this thread. All these 3D designs and prints are awesome... Several months ago I had launched a 3D Blackbird thread in this forum but since then I made no further progress. I had even bought a resin printer but I haven't opened its box yet. Maybe seeing your builds can motivate me to go back 3D design/printing world 😁

Serkan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I have just caught this thread. All these 3D designs and prints are awesome... Several months ago I had launched a 3D Blackbird thread in this forum but since then I made no further progress. I had even bought a resin printer but I haven't opened its box yet. Maybe seeing your builds can motivate me to go back 3D design/printing world 😁

Serkan

Thanks! I saw your thread, marvelled at it and went back a few times to see how it was going. Excellent work so far and I’m sure when you get back to it you’ll have a beautiful end result. I’m just a beginner by comparison

I don’t have a resin printer yet but if these test prints come out looking nice I might have to invest in one. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

@LostCosmonauts these are looking great, how long are your CAD models taking to design?

Thanks! I'm not sure how long the early ones took as there was a fair bit of back and forth and I am still learning the software but the latest AW.58 probably was 10  hours or so but I think it helped that I had a clear plan in my head for how I was going to tackle it having just done a very similar one previous. 

I need to go back to the early ones and rework them in light of what I've learned recently to add more details and tweaks

7 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Serkan

I hope so. I was avidly following your Blackbird thread.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Serkan

Please so Serkan, your design is fantastic! How long have you been using CATIA V5? I've been using it for 2 years and just started using it do designing models - your designs are far superior though!

7 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Thanks! I'm not sure how long the early ones took as there was a fair bit of back and forth and I am still learning the software but the latest AW.58 probably was 10  hours or so but I think it helped that I had a clear plan in my head for how I was going to tackle it having just done a very similar one previous. 

I need to go back to the early ones and rework them in light of what I've learned recently to add more details and tweaks

10?! That's very good, I must become more efficient - I'm at 35 hours on my Fairey IIIF design and it's still not done!

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2020 at 10:11 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

With the T-tail it looks from some angles like the Short SB5, in others like a mini-Javelin

I was thinking F-100 fuselage with Javelin everything else.  Bit of a porker, mind

13 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Please so Serkan, your design is fantastic! How long have you been using CATIA V5? I've been using it for 2 years and just started using it do designing models - your designs are far superior though!

10?! That's very good, I must become more efficient - I'm at 35 hours on my Fairey IIIF design and it's still not done!

I doubt I’m any more efficient - yours not only has 100% more wings but I’m only working with a simple 3-view general arrangement and sketch of a hypothetical plane so there are few details and if I get it a bit wrong no-one can wave damning photographic evidence of my slapdashedness and/or incompetence

24 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I was thinking F-100 fuselage with Javelin everything else.  Bit of a porker, mind

Not quite in Tunnanesque* territory but getting there

* - aeronautical equivalent of Rubenesque

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

In the company I use Catia V5 to view part assemblies and extract necessary geometries for my work. But I have done my own drawings first time on this Blackbird project. Indeed I did some sketches for Ching Kuo in the past to learn CAD tool features.

Serkan

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress with modelling (real life intervenes) but I’ve broken the workbench and tools out today

Fairey Delta 3 gets a stand (nicked from the Revell 1/144 747 & Space Shuttle set) and a bit of surface filling & sanding

50258634596_303a4d0797_b.jpg

and then a coat of grey primer to see where we’re at

50257976168_d160a0d0a0_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a quick scan through this, very interesting.

I’m reminded of a TV programme some years ago in which the late great Capt. Eric Brown was interviewed about the Miles M52.

When the interviewer remarked that the project was cancelled because it would have been too dangerous for the pilot, Brown ( who had been due to fly it ) replied “ well nobody asked me “. Strange how some of the M52s unique features like the all moving tailplane found their way to the Bell X-1.

John

10 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

I'm going to take a break from Britmodeller so this will project will continue at https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/1-72-scale-3d-printed-prototypes-and-proposed-projects.33287/ 

Roger, switching channels. Call sign "SpaceRanger" (No space between 'Space' and 'Ranger'. Ironic, isn't it?).