3D design and printed collection of British prototypes and proposed designs

On 5/21/2020 at 9:42 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

Fairey Large (pardon the colour, it is just what I had to hand)

But it's not for Yellow Cab Taxi

Fairey Large?

😁😁

(there should be a photo London Yellow Cab Taxi, but they are all with limited use by copyright 🤗☹)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

On 25/05/2020 at 08:58, Aardvark said:

But it's not for Yellow Cab Taxi

Fairey Large?

Another test run needed so that means another chunk but this time in EasyJet orange. I’m sure Stelios would be glad to have a Fairey Large instead of a 737 in the fleet?

49944587438_81c5203355_b.jpg

49944587443_425f153300_b.jpg

Looks rather jolly in these colours, almost a shame to prime and paint it in drabber hues.

So... ideas for a finish please. Aluminium, Interceptor grey or Grey/Green camo (or the EE Lightning solid green)? 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

you've been throwing some cracking shapes!

Thanks, I've been thoroughly enjoying your design/build (and at the same time thanking my lucky stars that the drawings I'm working from let me work in relatively simple shapes) - I'm pondering one of those CAD mice now to be able to play even easier

On 06/05/2020 at 03:27, Space Ranger said:

And you get that Fairey F.155 whipped into shape, I'd like to purchase a copy.

On 06/05/2020 at 09:50, cngaero said:

Once this bout of unpleasantness is over, I feel a spending spree coming on.

Some progress on that front, it looks like with a collaboration in the works I'll be able to run a batch of these off on a resin printer allowing a lot more detail from the start of July onwards so will do a revision or two and some more detail and be able to offer these and the others to folks. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Another test run needed so that means another chunk but this time in EasyJet orange. I’m sure Stelios would be glad to have a Fairey Large instead of a 737 in the fleet?

49944587438_81c5203355_b.jpg

49944587443_425f153300_b.jpg

Looks rather jolly in these colours, almost a shame to prime and paint it in drabber hues.

So... ideas for a finish please. Aluminium, Interceptor grey or Grey/Green camo (or the EE Lightning solid green)? 

Reminds me of a Matchbox kit without the trench lines. Hope you're going to do a great box lid too!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Must say also looks like you've mastered another level of precision on your 3D Printer - looked almost resin print quality!

Nothing like running it constantly for helping get used to the quirks and snags. Still regularly a pain in the bahookie (like this morning when it took an hour of faff to get started and running) but getting there

On 5/28/2020 at 4:32 PM, LostCosmonauts said:

Light Grey/Light Blue scheme as on BAe Hawk Mk.200

???

....also desert scheme  BAe Hawk Mk.200 interesting...

As idea...

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 8:32 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

Think Lightnings, but certainly no camo. Aluminum (sorry; aluminium) and: Red-and-white checks of 56 Sqn, of course! Or the blue spine and fin of 92 Sqn. Or the black and yellow of 111 Sqn.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Aluminum (sorry; aluminium) and: Red-and-white checks of 56 Sqn, of course! Or the blue spine and fin of 92 Sqn. Or the black and yellow of 111 Sqn.

... or all of the above in a flypast for the 1977 silver jubilee?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Some progress on that front, it looks like with a collaboration in the works I'll be able to run a batch of these off on a resin printer allowing a lot more detail from the start of July onwards so will do a revision or two and some more detail and be able to offer these and the others to folks. 

This comment alone makes me think this isn't the first time I've come across your designs. Glad I've finally found somewhere to see you designing and building these kits :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I errr... I may have gotten distracted from aviation and been playing with geometry for a little while so there have been digressions into model making in both paper and wood 

and 

Digressions aside I may have come into possession of a nice new 6-axis mouse for 3D modelling (my bank account blames @TheBaron for leading me astray) and that led me back to Fusion 360 and some aircraft again. So... wings and a tailplane got added to the SR.187 

50000628096_43e845ddce_b.jpg

and 

50000884827_145d495aac_b.jpg

Still a great deal of work to do (even just to get used to using the new mouse and interacting with the software) but at least it looks halfway like a plane now

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Nice work Alistair - hope you're enjoying the new-found mouse freedom!

Freedom is still a stretch. After an hour I erratic wavering is where I’m at on the proficiency learning curve

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

I errr... I may have gotten distracted from aviation and been playing with geometry for a little while so there have been digressions into model making in both paper and wood 

You forgot a Flat Earth.

• Like 1

@Space Ranger All of the projections certainly look a bit flat Earthy. I did a Dymaxion globe with the pathways of early human migration (estimated based on mitochondrial DNA) and to be honest it made a lot more sense of why and how early people got around when you see the Earth's landmasses as one extended chain of islands surrounded by a sea 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I promise this is still ongoing. Just having a good long think

Fairey Large has been glued together and had a first pass with primer and sanded to see high spots and gaps. Am having a muse and raiding the spares box for underwing fuel tanks and stores

50112153332_7573cf19ea_b.jpg

• Like 8