3D design and printed collection of British prototypes and proposed designs

Evening all,

I've been mucking around with making and modelling away from kits e.g.

... and thought it was about time I made a plane or two again. I'd idly picked this book up in WHSmiths and got to thinking that I should try stretching my model making muscles a bit

IMG_1601

I took a scan of one of the 1st 3 view pictures (The RAE's impression of what a mach 2 fighter with engines embedded in the fuselage might look like) and imported that into inkscape (free download) vector drawing program. After a bit of a tidy up and scaling to 1/72 I started trying to make a 3D interpretation of the sketch in tinkercad 3D modelling software (free cloud based). Comparing the model I've made to the plan and profiles it looks pretty darned close

Not a million miles away from the sketch and although the compound curves were a bit of a pain in the rear to do with simple shapes I think if that were 3D printed, sanded and cleaned up a bit it mightn't be too bad. I've half a notion to steadily work through the book and do a collection of British fighters that never were

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 17.23.12

Edited by LostCosmonauts
revised title
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

I love this sort of stuff - proposed, secret projects and prototypes, so I will be watching with interest.

Is the book any good?

A great book for anyone interested in British aviation and RAF official thinking of the period. Also a great source of inspiration for scratchbuilding!

I'm particularly taken with the Fairey "Delta III" (F155T), as shown on the cover, myself. S&M were rumored to be working on a 1/72 kit, but so far it has not materialized.

Edited by Space Ranger
Add'l. info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

I love this sort of stuff - proposed, secret projects and prototypes, so I will be watching with interest.

Is the book any good?

Pictures are good - I'm saving the text to read on the train tomorrow. It certainly got me thinking about buying this https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Secret-Projects-Fighter-Since/dp/1910809055 as a complement

• Thanks 1

this one is full of plans and lots of info,  interesting seeing what actually got built as well! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Experimental-Aircraft-Barrie-Hygate/dp/1854860100

419weAhyAML._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

does turn up cheaper too,  IIRC the price when originally published (printed inside)  was expensive

cheers

T

• Thanks 3

Having more of a play - I think I should start a bit earlier so have knocked together a Miles M.52... definitely going to have to invest in a 3D printer to translate these into real life. Maybe a breakdown of parts so that I do the wings etc. in polystyrene sheet and the fuselage is just printed

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 21.47.55

• Like 6

Just now, Space Ranger said:

That looks great! When you're done with the British experimentals, I've got a suggestion for you: Convair's XP-92.

lip7.jpg

(I have detailed drawings.)

Nice! If you want to message or email me with them I'll gladly have a crack at it. 

I think I've reached the limit of what you can do with tinkercad... thankfully the next step up from Autodesk (Fusion 360) is free for hobbyist use so I've done a short 3D printing practical course and started trying to work through the tutorials for this better modelling software.

As a test piece I've been having a go at the RAE's preferred configuration for a mach 2 interceptor

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 16.52.29

Still a bit basic but I think I'm somewhere on the right track. Am thinking that I'd print the underlying airframe and then do old fashioned modelling on top to add detail

• Like 3

Some more learning of how to do 3D modelling in preparation for printing parts and models. Trying to get to grips with Fusion 360 software with a draft outline of a De Havilland 108 Swallow

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 20.00.02

Base model is getting there but boy are compound curves proving difficult

• Like 5

Haven't used either TinkerCAD or Fusion 360 but I use Solidworks and have used Pro-E professionally and the whole business of 3D contouring while achievable in these packages can be horribly complex. 

Again I use a bit of 3D printing professionally (various vendors with SLA and FDM processes) but not for my modelling and depending on the printer you could make anything from a blank to be shaped and carved to very close to a finished part ready for painting.

• Like 1

Thanks for those links and tips @Space Ranger and @Marklo

As a tentative dabble I revived a 3D file I made (but didn’t use) for the BM 10th anniversary GB

An apollo recovery capsule - printed at 1/144 scale pre clean up

32322097958_31512e1cdc_b.jpg

Will trim, sand, fill & paint to see what working with the PLA is like

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Still dabbling (not helped by my Mac laptop no longer beig able to run Fusion 360 after the most recent update)

Had a go at printing one of the RAE proposals at 1/144. A bit rough but I painted it just to see what it’d look like

47041744192_ee2de90043_b.jpg

33218905698_546c3428b7_b.jpg

46180311015_bcedbe99e7_b.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Gorby said:

That's good for such a small scale though. How long did it take to print and did it require much cleaning up?

About 2 hours at medium quality. Did need quite a bit of trimming, filling and sanding especially under the wings and tail where it printed supporting scaffold that all had to be cut away. Next time I might do 2 halves and sandwich together to see if that helps things

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A bit if a pause as my 10 year old macbook stopped being supported by the 3D modelling software (replacement incoming). In the meantime I've done a bit more messing around and have bought my very own 3D printer and kind of got up to speed with it

Flickr is being a bit of a pain in the proverbial so you'll just have to assume in the meantime that everything is peachy and looking good. I'll try from my phone to post pictures shortly

Odd, phone seems to cope with flickr fine... anyhoo...

Said printer is a cheap one as it comes as a kit (I even enjoyed it as a build in of itself)

40876517743_6f4e3354ee_b.jpg

It even works despite the odd translations from Chinese and my carefree approach to the instructions 

Initial things have been a couple of tabletop gaming figures for friends but I was quite pleased with this scale pteranodon hunting trophy. Printed in PLA and then filled, sanded, painted and weathered

40876517653_6d1e016800_b.jpg

(Museums and universities have all sorts of cool scans and data sets available so a 50% scale sabretoothed cat is on the workbench right now)

Back to the planes I’ve decided to try out a relatively simple shape and do a Miles M.52 in 1/72 scale with a breakdown of parts to try and make print and assembly logical. Hopefully just be able to bend some PET from a bottle of plastic film as a transparency

40876517583_75b10fdc85_b.jpg

p.s. thanks @Gremlin807 for additional drawings from his excellent build of the same plane

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 11

Almost...

46952953165_5c8dd14487_b.jpg

Print was just a bit too fine so the tailplane, fin, front lip of the intake and some of the cockpit cone didn’t come out. A bit of revision and I’ll try again next week (printer is occupied doing work that pays for itself for a few days) 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Getting there. I realised the print failure was all my fault as I’d made some bits far too fine

As the revised version came out on the print bed

47928004081_b3d1bceb82_b.jpg

And after release and a bit of trimming it almost looks worth assembling 

47928002633_bcae1705a1_b.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A few refinements needed on the design still but I’ve glued the main parts together to figure out the changes that I’ll need to make

48006106458_fbac2ac7ae_b.jpg

The to-do list:

- Thin flying surfaces and corresponding slots

- Revise fit of cockpit into intake

- add basic cockpit interior and seat

- Beef up canopy framing for later trim

- Think about wheel bays/undercarriage

• Like 5

Looking good. I'm very conflicted on 3D printing. I use it extensively in my day to day work, but I have made a vow that I won't use it for modelling, but I'm very tempted to use it for the things I don't like making (Wheels and radial engines :) ) so there you go. So far I've held the line...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Looking good. I'm very conflicted on 3D printing. I use it extensively in my day to day work, but I have made a vow that I won't use it for modelling, but I'm very tempted to use it for the things I don't like making (Wheels and radial engines :) ) so there you go. So far I've held the line...

I’d say use every tool available to you. 3D printing is perfectly fair game if you are making something that requires as much work and thought as it would in fettling polystyrene and resin.

I’ve just finished this 1/2 scale sabre toothed cat and can’t imagine how I’d have made it any other way. Took as much head scratching, research and hard work as any other model I’ve made

48007266387_06a7c3a0a2_b.jpg

• Like 9