Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Duncan B

Accurate Miniatures Grumman F3F-2

Recommended Posts

I always find it strange that a build plods along for ages and nothing much seems to change and then in the space of a day it seems to take a gigantic leap forward. Yesterday was one of those days despite me only spending the morning working on it. 

 

IMG_5072-600x450.jpg

tailfeathers, an engine and cowl, top wing and wheel hubs all attached (one of the lower wings also was added as you see in a moment).

 

IMG_5071-600x539.jpg

I think it actually looks quite nice as a parasol winged fighter!

 

IMG_5073-600x434.jpg

 

And this is where I find it this morning. 

IMG_5075-600x378.jpg

 

Today I will add the other wing and then set about the final assembly of details. 

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have a fancy jig for doing this but the way the Accurate Miniatures kit is engineered the wings and struts can only fit in the one position (he hopes!).

IMG_5077-600x457.jpg

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Duncan, it's coming together really nicely. It will be a very nice looking model, and I for one am glad that Academy have plans to re-release this kit.

 

Watching your build progress should give me the spark that I seem to be missing since the Christmas break, so keep up the good work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s beginning to look a lot like an F3F now. 

IMG_5080-600x466.jpg

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Great work Duncan, it's coming together really nicely. It will be a very nice looking model, and I for one am glad that Academy have plans to re-release this kit.

 

Watching your build progress should give me the spark that I seem to be missing since the Christmas break, so keep up the good work.

I didn’t know Academy were going to re-release it. I would definitely build another one so will keep an eye out for it. 

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I didn’t know Academy were going to re-release it. I would definitely build another one so will keep an eye out for it. 

 

Duncan B

According to the Rumourmonger pages, it is listed in their 2019 catalogue as a New Tooling, but general consensus seems to be that it is probably the Accurate Miniatures kit. I will definitely be picking one up..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The PE rigging was interesting. I remembered some long forgotten swear words and invented some new ones too (next time I’m going to use EZLine like a sensible chap would). Once done though the effect is quite pleasing. 

 

I have hashed on and have it all but finished. Just the bomb racks and pitot tube to add in the morning and that’ll be it. 

 

IMG_5081-600x397.jpgIMG_5082-600x438.jpgIMG_5083-600x452.jpgIMG_5084-600x438.jpg

 

It’s not perfect by any means but I’m quite pleased with it. I will have another go at one when Academy release it later this year. 

 

I’ll get this one finished in the morning and will get photos up soon. Thanks for the encouragement along the way. 

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Duncan B said:

It’s not perfect by any means...

 

If you say so, but it looks perfect B) 

 

Nice job mate, look forward to seeing the final pics...

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful job Duncan, and well done with the etch rigging. I remember rediscovering a few long forgotten swear words when building my F3F-1, it still didn't help me to get it on as straight as yours though. :D 

 

It has been a pleasure watching this model come together, and thanks for the helpful photos you provided for my build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bravo! Outstanding work!

 

It was fun to watch this colorful bird come together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Beautiful job Duncan, and well done with the etch rigging. I remember rediscovering a few long forgotten swear words when building my F3F-1, it still didn't help me to get it on as straight as yours though. :D 

 

It has been a pleasure watching this model come together, and thanks for the helpful photos you provided for my build.

 

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

 

If you say so, but it looks perfect B) 

 

Nice job mate, look forward to seeing the final pics...

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

 

58 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Bravo! Outstanding work!

 

It was fun to watch this colorful bird come together.

 

Thanks Gents, it has been a fun build and I want to build another soon.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the Academey release one is definitely on my to get list after watching your build Duncan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I saw this in the gallery and just wanted to drop in to say what a cracking build this is. The colours are superb; you've created quite a stunner!! :clap::clap:

 

Cheers

 

Nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good job done. 

Great finishing on the flying surfaces and the rigging looks excellent. 

Excellent work on this 

Colin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent work there Duncan. Those early Navy birds are so colourful. 

 

Cheers Allan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my rush to get finished I forgot to say thanks to the organisers of this Group Build and for letting me join in at the last minute. I really enjoyed taking part and wished I'd known about it earlier as I have lots of suitable subjects that I could have added to this one.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×