Accurate Miniatures Grumman F3F-2

Duncan B

Mrs B has dragged me screaming and kicking into Dundee to do the dreaded Christmas shopping so not much time at the bench however the engine is nearing completion. 

IMG_4857-338x450.jpg

I’ve hollowed our the ends of the exhausts and am trying a new to me painting technique on the exhaust. It’ll mostly be hidden so if I muck if up it won’t matter anyway. I have gone over the centre of each section with diluted clear orange and will add diluted black to each end then pick out the ‘welds’ with a dark wash. It might end up a mess but nothing ventured etc. 

I need a clear run to get some paint blowing around but suspect that won’t happen until after the weekend (ie when Mrs B goes back to work and leaves me in peace to get on with some serious stuff).

Duncan B

• Like 6

I thought I would get a little painting done in between bouts of Shopping. “There’s only a small area of True Blue to paint so I’ll get that out of the way first”, thinks I.

IMG_4858-600x423.jpg

Spot my mistake (the fin is painted under that masking tape). 

Doh! How did I manage to forget about the rudder? I guess I’ll be mixing another batch of True Blue later. 

Duncan B

• Like 4

Primer, remedial work and primer process completed (or more accurately as good as it’s going to get).

IMG_4863-600x450.jpg

Next is the AK Interactive White Aluminium then paint the yellow wing and the section leader’s fuselage band. 

That’s the easy bit, what happens after that I am still debating. I know the cabane struts are not a tight fit into the underside of the top wing so will need a bit of filler and paint after fitting but so will the lower wing to fuselage joint so which to do first? The top wing will be easier to do first but should I fit the lower wings to set the dihedral on them first? Who’s idea was it to build a biplane?

IMG_4864-600x450.jpg

The primer has made the surface detail more obvious. Accurate Miniatures did a great job when they tooled this kit. 

Duncan B

• Like 5

The AK Interactive Xtreme Metal White Aluminium has been applied. 

IMG_4867-600x454.jpg

I will paint the top surface of the top wing, Section markings and then the walkway on the lower wing and wing root fairings next. 

Duncan B

• Like 4

3 hours ago, colin said:

Duncan, try spraying some neat Mr Levelling thinner over the blue, light coats, it's worked for me getting the tape marks out, just leave it to harden up again before touching

I never thought of that but will keep it in mind for next time. I’ve gone back over the fin with a light coat of paint while I had it mixed for the rudder. 

I’ve also given the top wing its first coat of yellow. It’s a bit patchy so will need another coat tomorrow. The prop has also been painted AK Interactive Polished Aluminium. 

IMG_4870-600x419.jpg

I will seal the paintwork in with a clear gloss coat tomorrow before masking up again for the Section Leader’s markings on the cowl and fuselage. 

Duncan B

• Like 6

I have to hand it to Accurate Miniatures they really knew how to produce a well engineered and detailed kit. Not only do you get the choice of weighted or non weighted tyres but they are moulded separately from the hubs to make painting easy. To cap it all they even moulded the logos on the tyres. 

IMG_4872-338x450.jpg

A little dry brushing will make that really stand out. 

Duncan B

• Like 4

3 hours ago, almac said:

Excellent work Duncan. That AK metallic paint looks really nice. I have some but not tried it yet.

Cheers Allan

I swear by the stuff now. NMF holds no fears for me now as this sprays and covers like normal paint. Surface preparation is the key to a good finish as with any other metallic paint.

Duncan B

All masked off and ready to start painting the section markings. 

IMG_4874-600x434.jpgIMG_4875-600x387.jpg

I’ll spray a thin primer coat on first to even things out for the topcoat. 

Normally I would seal everything in before moving to this stage but in Colourcoats we trust!

Duncan B

• Like 5

Ah well why didn’t anybody tell me I’d got the wing chevrons masked at an odd angle? Pooh! I never noticed until I took the masking off that I had a wonky leg as it were. Looking at the previous picture it’s obvious that the right side is nearer the centreline by 5mm but I missed it. Luckily I still had the green in the airbrush so quickly masked off the outside and sprayed again. I’ll have to go back inside with the yellow later. 

IMG_4879-600x420.jpg

That’s not my only woes, the normally bulletproof Xtreme Metal has lifted in a couple of places on one side. Bad prep I guess. 

IMG_4878-600x440.jpg

From a distance it doesn’t look too bad!!

IMG_4877-600x450.jpg

Guess what I’ll be doing tomorrow?

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

A quick cutting back of the damaged edges with a polishing stick and I’m ready to touch up the Xtreme Metal White Aluminium. 

IMG_4881-600x450.jpg

A wee squirt later and it’s fixed. 

IMG_4882-600x450.jpg

This is what I really like about the AK Interactive Xtreme Metal paints, they can be treated just like any normal paint. I’m not sure Alclad is so easy to repair but it is certainly not so easy to spray in my experience. 

Now to fix fix my mistake on the upper wing. I’m not sure if the yellow will cover the green but I know how to find out :)

Duncan B

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

After a break for the holidays and a brief 48 hour detour into an Eduard Weekender I am back onboard the Grumman GB. 

The decaling was finished and sealed in with another gloss coat before the festivities so today has seen me apply a panel line wash on the silver areas. 

IMG_5060-600x450.jpg

The wash is currently drying off a bit before I (hopefully) remove about 90% of it again. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

Wash mostly wiped off, just enough to break up the silver and add a subtle (hopefully) oily tint around the front panels.

IMG_5061-600x408.jpgIMG_5062-600x450.jpg

I’ll leave it to dry off some more before sealing it in with another clear coat. 

I’ll add a panel line wash with a different colour to the top of the wing too. 

Duncan B

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Working on the wing washes today. I don’t want a heavily worn or scruffy look as these would have been kept very clean in real life but the kit’s surface detail deserves something to make it pop. 

41E69FAB-BDA8-4B26-86DF-325A84A6BE92-600IMG_5066-600x326.jpg

Hopefully it will look fine once it’s clear coated with some Matte clear. 

Duncan B

• Like 3