Accurate Miniatures Grumman F3F-2

Duncan B

I always find it strange that a build plods along for ages and nothing much seems to change and then in the space of a day it seems to take a gigantic leap forward. Yesterday was one of those days despite me only spending the morning working on it. 

IMG_5072-600x450.jpg

tailfeathers, an engine and cowl, top wing and wheel hubs all attached (one of the lower wings also was added as you see in a moment).

IMG_5071-600x539.jpg

I think it actually looks quite nice as a parasol winged fighter!

IMG_5073-600x434.jpg

And this is where I find it this morning. 

IMG_5075-600x378.jpg

Today I will add the other wing and then set about the final assembly of details. 

Duncan B

• Like 5

Great work Duncan, it's coming together really nicely. It will be a very nice looking model, and I for one am glad that Academy have plans to re-release this kit.

Watching your build progress should give me the spark that I seem to be missing since the Christmas break, so keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Great work Duncan, it's coming together really nicely. It will be a very nice looking model, and I for one am glad that Academy have plans to re-release this kit.

Watching your build progress should give me the spark that I seem to be missing since the Christmas break, so keep up the good work.

I didn’t know Academy were going to re-release it. I would definitely build another one so will keep an eye out for it. 

Duncan B

31 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I didn’t know Academy were going to re-release it. I would definitely build another one so will keep an eye out for it. 

Duncan B

According to the Rumourmonger pages, it is listed in their 2019 catalogue as a New Tooling, but general consensus seems to be that it is probably the Accurate Miniatures kit. I will definitely be picking one up..

• Like 1

The PE rigging was interesting. I remembered some long forgotten swear words and invented some new ones too (next time I’m going to use EZLine like a sensible chap would). Once done though the effect is quite pleasing. 

I have hashed on and have it all but finished. Just the bomb racks and pitot tube to add in the morning and that’ll be it. 

IMG_5081-600x397.jpgIMG_5082-600x438.jpgIMG_5083-600x452.jpgIMG_5084-600x438.jpg

It’s not perfect by any means but I’m quite pleased with it. I will have another go at one when Academy release it later this year. 

I’ll get this one finished in the morning and will get photos up soon. Thanks for the encouragement along the way. 

Duncan B

• Like 9

Beautiful job Duncan, and well done with the etch rigging. I remember rediscovering a few long forgotten swear words when building my F3F-1, it still didn't help me to get it on as straight as yours though. :D 

It has been a pleasure watching this model come together, and thanks for the helpful photos you provided for my build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Beautiful job Duncan, and well done with the etch rigging. I remember rediscovering a few long forgotten swear words when building my F3F-1, it still didn't help me to get it on as straight as yours though. :D 

It has been a pleasure watching this model come together, and thanks for the helpful photos you provided for my build.

12 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

If you say so, but it looks perfect B) 

Nice job mate, look forward to seeing the final pics...

Cheers,

Stew

58 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Bravo! Outstanding work!

It was fun to watch this colorful bird come together.

Thanks Gents, it has been a fun build and I want to build another soon.

Duncan B

In my rush to get finished I forgot to say thanks to the organisers of this Group Build and for letting me join in at the last minute. I really enjoyed taking part and wished I'd known about it earlier as I have lots of suitable subjects that I could have added to this one.

Duncan B