Bf110G info needed: kanoenvogel conversion

fernandocouto

I would build a Bf110G-2 with belly 37mm gun for my friend. When searching photos, I found an article building eduard's kit:

http://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=37170.0

The author removed rear-firing MG81Z, replaced this area with a large tank.

09.jpg

I don't understand German, in translator it reads"The central part of the tank of a 1:48 Revell-Eurofighter formed the basis for the tank of the GM-1 system. I built the cannon magazine in front of the radio seat out of round profile and plastic strips."

Origin words: Das Mittelteil des Tanks eines 1:48er Revell-Eurofighters bildete die Basis für den Tank der GM-1 Anlage. Das vor dem Funkersitz liegende Kanonenmagazin baute ich aus Rundprofilenund Plastikstreifen auf.

So GM-1 needs such a large tank? On Bf109 there's only a much smaller one behind cockpit. Although Bf110 consumes twice of Bf109...By the way, which fuel(or liquid) cap fits GM-1 tank?

1-bf-112.jpg

Historic photo of ZG76 indicates rear MG omitted, so it's a character of R1 conversion? Also WGr.21 reduced to one under each wing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Editted

BK3.7 based on Flak 18, same magazine-fed. So the crew needed to manually reload the cannon?

Edited by fernandocouto
another problem

Hello

I was under impression that GM-1 tank was installed in the nose of Bf 110, but apparently it was also installed in the aft part of gunners compartment. I have no idea though if this was the case with Bf 110 G-2/R1 only or it also worked with other Umrüst-Bausätze and Rüstsatze combinations. And yes, in this case rear gunners task was to reload the cannon, apart from operating radio and looking out for E/A nearby.

Take a look at the booklet on this link. It is a manual for Bf 110 G-2/R1 subversion with 3,7-cm cannon and it contains some useful photos and drawings. Unfortunately, no information about GM-1 installation, but you may find something among other Messerschmitt manuals on this page. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

I was under impression that GM-1 tank was installed in the nose of Bf 110, but apparently it was also installed in the aft part of gunners compartment. I have no idea though if this was the case with Bf 110 G-2/R1 only or it also worked with other Umrüst-Bausätze and Rüstsatze combinations. And yes, in this case rear gunners task was to reload the cannon, apart from operating radio and looking out for E/A nearby.

Take a look at the booklet on this link. It is a manual for Bf 110 G-2/R1 subversion with 3,7-cm cannon and it contains some useful photos and drawings. Unfortunately, no information about GM-1 installation, but you may find something among other Messerschmitt manuals on this page. Cheers

Jure

Thanks a lot!

Bf110 has 1 or 2 round panels on port side below nose MGs, cannot recall what's for these...

Probably not enough space in nose for GM-1 tank? Or upper guns removed.

Trying to download reference from your second link...Chinese network is fast...for Chinese websites....

Hello

Single access panel of compressed air port, at least judging by photos of Bf 110 G-4 in Hendon. On some G-2 drawings another slightly smaller semi-oval panel can be found nearby, so perhaps single circular panel featured on G-4 only? Yes, with GM-1 tank in the nose, machine guns would be removed. I have been browsing through my references to find out which one contained information about GM-1 nose installation, but so far no joy. I have Eduard Bf 110 G-2 with 3,7-cm cannon in my stash and kit's instructions might have some info about that, but it takes some digging to fish this kit out so I will do it in the morning. Good luck with downloading Bf 110 references! Cheers

Jure

I dug out my Bf 110 G-2/R1 Eduard kit but its instructions offer nothing new regarding GM-1 tank. I checked other sources and although I found no photos of GM-1 installation it is agreed the tank was installed in gunner's compartment. Also, at its weight of 450 kg it must have been a rather large one. So, my idea about nose installation was incorrect. Cheers

Jure

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:22, Jure Miljevic said:

I dug out my Bf 110 G-2/R1 Eduard kit but its instructions offer nothing new regarding GM-1 tank. I checked other sources and although I found no photos of GM-1 installation it is agreed the tank was installed in gunner's compartment. Also, at its weight of 450 kg it must have been a rather large one. So, my idea about nose installation was incorrect. Cheers

Jure

Thanks. I'd like to add a tank in rear cockpit. Seems appropriate.

Too bad I made by G-2/R1 some 3 years ago using Eduards kit. Despite researching a bit before building it I had no idea about the use (and location) of that tank. Thanks for bringing this up, I’ll probably won’t build another kit of that version, but knowledge takes no room. Just a word of caution, recently the port side landing gear of my model collapsed. I think the cause is both the flimsy kit parts and the weight of the resin and metal barrel used for the 3,7 BK, not a happy combination

• 2 months later...

Hi, I used to work on Hendon's BF110G-4, this has the fittings for the GM-1 tank in the rear fuselage, but no tank, it was located between the gunners seat and MG81z, I wrote to "Winkle" Brown to ask him if the aircraft had the GM-1 tank in it when he flew it in 1945, he said it was, as were the Shräge Musik and MG81Z, I'm guessing there were only two crew onboard when the tank was fitted. I've looked through the G-2 and G-4 manuals and as far as I can tell, the tank isn't mentioned, also, during my research, I never found any documents relating to the tank, that doesn't mean documentation doesn't exist, The IWM and National Archives in the US have thousands of microfilmed documents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nachtjäger

Very interesting information, thank you. I agree with you that with GM-1 tank aircraft had probably been flown by two members crew only. However, I cannot figure out how the second crew member operated radar and than crawled over GM-1 tank to service MG FF oblique guns or to man MG81Z machine gun. I hope a photo or photos of actual installation will surface eventually. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1