F-105D Thunderchief 59-1749 "Mr Toad"/"Marilee E" 1/72

On 1 December 2018 at 11:57 PM, opus999 said:

Beautiful!  it looks very realistic!  Thanks also for providing all the detail about what you used and your reference photos!

Thank you, mate. I'm happy to always spread the word as I soak up many great tips from others on this site :).

as I said earlier, I was very impressed by the Colourcoats. The colours in reality are even better than in these images :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Great job Martin, and a welcome break from the ordinary. Good research makes for an original and eye-catching model!

Also, I'm a big fan of Colourcoats, so glad Jamie rescued them for us!

Alan

15 hours ago, Alan P said:

Great job Martin, and a welcome break from the ordinary. Good research makes for an original and eye-catching model!

Also, I'm a big fan of Colourcoats, so glad Jamie rescued them for us!

Alan

Thanks Alan. to me this hobby isn't just about cement and styrene. It is building replicas and that means a degree of knowledge of the subject and, as you say, some research. I try to get as much as I can together before embarking on a project. I've been an aircraft enthusiast, such as that is, since my very early days - 50+ years now. I love to use that knowledge as best I can in my models. :) 

Martin 

• Like 1

Thanks ArmouredSprue :). The paintwork was achieved by masking, using paper cutouts after drawing the patterns out on a 3-view drawing. You need to allow for the drop alongside the fuselage but otherwise it is straight forward. Simply draw out the pattern, cut out, cut a few holes with each mask through which you adhere the mask to the model with tape. This then gives a very slight blurred edge. The advantage of this method is that it gets you as close to the real machine as you can get. I am not a master airbrusher and so I'd never get the same by hand painting/brushing. The weathering, such as it is, was primarily a wash with Flory Dirt and then appropriate applications of Tamiya Weathering powders, particularly around the tail end. I tried to match the rear end image in Page one of this post, showing a lot of dirt and staining around the brake petals.

Martin     

Well, you all know how it can be: you just finish something and then along comes a spoiler like a new kit of what you've just been toiling over. In this case - and after many many pleas for help, including a number of stateside authorities on the subject - I have more pictorial evidence of Mr Toad. It isn't pretty, though :(. Courtesy of our newbie @warlover I have evidence that at least at one point in time Mr Toad was carried on both sides, contrary to the writings of a number of eminent writers.... bugger! Well, I have to contend myself that she DID carry it on the starboard and at some time she DID carry Marilee E, but maybe not together. Therefore my build has become dual-identitied ;)

Ho hum .......

Martin

PS: thanks @WarLover'67

Today is a great day! Through the help of @WarLover'67 I have managed to contact Toby Wills, the original "Mr Toad", over the past two days and today, I heard from Dennis Wills himself. Gracefully and generously he has already settled some of my questions and hopefully soon will also clarify the aircraft's fate. :)

It it seems that during his time she did carry "Mr Toad" on both sides. Other than that Dennis seems content with how the build worked out. I'm very happy.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

4 hours ago, viperchief said:

Awesome Thud! Curious...what did you use to thin the Colourcoats paint?

Hi Viperchief, I used Colourcoats proprietary thinners. 

Martin

4 hours ago, djos said:

Simply PERFECT. Colors and weathering are very nice

Best regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje :)

• 5 months later...

An interesting and sobering article sent to me by Dennis Wills today

https://theaviationist.com/2018/05/28/remembering-three-of-the-fallen-f-105-thunderchief-heroes-of-the-vietnam-era/

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 3 years later...

Just seen this Martin, via the questions in the Cold War thread.

Has to be one of the best looking 1/72  F-105Ds I've seen. Superbly finished, and for me at least, ticks the very important "looks right" category.

Nice one.

Terry

Hi Martin,

A fantastic build, as usual (It is becoming tedious to write the same words with every one of your builds!).

What really turns me on with the F-105 are the air intakes! I have always wanted one, mostly for that very silly reason....

Congrats.

JR

On 9/19/2022 at 8:38 AM, Terry1954 said:

Just seen this Martin, via the questions in the Cold War thread.

Has to be one of the best looking 1/72  F-105Ds I've seen. Superbly finished, and for me at least, ticks the very important "looks right" category.

Nice one.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I’m surprised that your eagle eye didn’t pick up this build when I first posted her. She was part of my three-ship Thud project. In fact I had plans for others but my enthusiasm fizzled out. The next was to have been an Ace of Spades lacquered machine. 

On 9/19/2022 at 9:59 PM, jean said:

Hi Martin,

A fantastic build, as usual (It is becoming tedious to write the same words with every one of your builds!).

What really turns me on with the F-105 are the air intakes! I have always wanted one, mostly for that very silly reason....

Congrats.

JR

Thanks Jean. You are very kind. There are flaws in my builds but that is part of modelling, and learning along the way. I am content in the knowledge that Dennis likes her and has a large print of her on his study wall :). I agree about the intakes. They have always struck me as attractive too. :)

Martin

• Like 1