F-105D Thunderchief 59-1749 "Mr Toad"/"Marilee E" 1/72

Yowzah! Now, that's one fine Thud, Martin! It was worth waiting for. You got the afterburner petals deployed perfectly, too!   👍 I have been thinking about getting the decals for' Memphis Belle' as she's a pretty nice D-model.

Mike

Thanks Tom. I'm very pleased with how she ended up. :)

Thanks also to you, Mike :).  Yes, those speed brake petals must be set that way while at rest, as you know. If you tackle a Memphis Belle I'll be following you avidly. :) If you are going for PrintScale decals be aware of the irregular sizing of their offerings at times. You would better better seeking others, such as Albatross or Cutting Edge. I'm tempted by an Ace of Spades D-model :). I have the Microscale sheet although ?I would, I think, draw and print my own.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

11 minutes ago, billn53 said:

That’s a beautiful toad you have there. It seems as if we’ve  been waiting like forever to see it finished lol!

Sorry about that, Bill. Time is short, unfortunately :(....... Hoping all's well with you?

Martin

3 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Sorry about that, Bill. Time is short, unfortunately :(....... Hoping all's well with you?

Martin

All is well but lots of business travel is hampering my build time. I’m currently working on a Ford Tri-motor, it’s in the WIP forum. 

Edited by billn53

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Tom. I'm very pleased with how she ended up. :)

Thanks also to you, Mike :).  Yes, those speed brake petals must be set that way while at rest, as you know. If you tackle a Memphis Belle I'll be following you avidly. :) If you are going for PrintScale decals be aware of the irregular sizing of their offerings at times. You would better better seeking others, such as Albatross or Cutting Edge. I'm tempted by an Ace of Spades D-model :). I have the Microscale sheet although ?I would, I think, draw and print my own.

Martin

Oboy- thanks for the heads-up on the Printscale decals, as that was the sheet that I was looking at. So I guess I should try for somebody else's, Martin?

Mike

Thanks Giorgio. I was very impressed by the Colourcoat paints. They went on beautifully, well almost! The dark green had an issue and refused to be thinned and airbrushed evenly. I think it must have been an odd bad one because the others went on like puffing silk on to the model :). As an enamels user I will be adding more to my paint stock!

Martin

No, I have no connection with Colourcoats or Sovereign. I just value good products and spread the word.

Hi mate!

Well, I had considered that :). My challenge is 1) finding time and 2) finding the space for display. :).

I would like to build a Combat Martin F-105F - for obvious reasons -and an 563rd TFS/Ace of spades F-105D but I have a huge pile backed up right now. The sister build to Phase 5 is a RF-101C as you will see in WIP currently ;). After those I must get my Sword Furies and RF-84Fs done.... Oh, and the RV MIG-21UMs, the Tamiya F-84G, the Modelsvit Su-22M3, the two KP MIG-21PFMs (as Indian FLs), the Eduard MIG-15UTI, the Tamiya F4U-1D.......... And then, who knows!

all the best,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

I am similar, Keith, having built many 'nam models in my youth. I've only gone for this one because of the type and the markings. I'm trying to pick out training, test and trials machines nowadays. More to come ......

Martin

• Like 1

Martin--This Thud is awesome!  The paint job is awesome & I really appreciate the work that went into back dating this model.  One part of the model which stood out to me was NMF on the petals--what did you use?  Also missed how you scratched centerline MER--my apologies if I overlooked it on this thread--one thing I know is that this model has been researched fully--again well done!

Hey Erwin!

Thanks for the compliments. :). As I said earlier, the paints (apart from a rogue dark green) went on like silk. My method is to draw out the pattern on paper, cut out the shapes conformally and then apply them by cutting out voids in the centres of the pieces and stick them down with Tamiya tape through the void. That keeps the edges very close to the model surface and so gives a very fine feathered edge. 

The petals were first airbrushed chrome steel (Humbrol enamel 191). Then I marked off the centre sections and used Tamiya weathering blue on the forward and rear bands. Then I used Tamiya Weathering Oil Stain as I thought appropriate, trying to match the image I posted of her from the rear three-quarters.

The MER was from a Hasegawa weapons set. It was painted aluminium and washed with very thin black. The centreline pylon was marked out from a Warpaint publications drawing and cut out of thick plastic card. 

Does that help?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1