P-40N - Hasegawa - 1/72

Marco

That's a real stunner, Marco.  A beautiful paint finish with some great weathering and fading.  This could easily pass as 1/48th to my eye.  So, what's the story with the reversed drop tank?

• Like 2

Just now, Meatbox8 said:

That's a real stunner, Marco.  A beautiful paint finish with some great weathering and fading.  This could easily pass as 1/48th to my eye.  So, what's the story with the reversed drop tank?

Thank you Meatbox!

Some say the tank was adapted for using Napalm and had to be fitted this way.

Others say they ran out of P-40N tanks and had to use earlier versions that were left over and would only fit this way round.

p-40.jpg?w=736

• Like 6

Thanks Marco.  Either way it's very interesting.  I've never seen it before.  One of the great things about this forum is that there are always new things to learn.  Comparing the photo to your model really highlights you attention to accuracy as I can see how you have matched the fading on the real aircraft to your paint finish.  Great work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Thanks Marco.  Either way it's very interesting.  I've never seen it before.  One of the great things about this forum is that there are always new things to learn.  Comparing the photo to your model really highlights you attention to accuracy as I can see how you have matched the fading on the real aircraft to your paint finish.  Great work.

Thanks! The original picture is wonderful. You can see the mud and grime and how the paint faded. It's great fun trying to replicate that.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great job all round Marco,I bet there were a few folk just about to tell you the tank was the wrong way round till Meatbox's timely question,great

touch that,love it!

Thanks, Steve. I built it first the right way but, as soon as I saw this picture, I ripped it out and turned it around.

15 minutes ago, Doc72 said:

Beautiful OD finish! Without the photo I wouldn't have believed the story with the drop tank.

Thank you! I wonder if the Napalm story is true. 

• Like 1

Excellent model - particularly for 1/72. I love the olive drab hue, what base colour did you use for olive? I'm looking for a similar camouflage for my B-25G.

It looks like the tail was overpainted and formerly white (USAAF ID colour in the South Pacific) - just my assumption because of the clean edge around the stabilizer.

Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Excellent model - particularly for 1/72. I love the olive drab hue, what base colour did you use for olive? I'm looking for a similar camouflage for my B-25G.

It looks like the tail was overpainted and formerly white (USAAF ID colour in the South Pacific) - just my assumption because of the clean edge around the stabilizer.

Michael

Thank you, Toryu.

The OD is Gunze H-52 overall and with some white added for the nose.

After that, oil filters and dot filters with burnt umber, white, black and naples yellow. More or less the same way you would weather a Sherman tank.

Great model, lovely restrained weathering.

This is such a great kit. It just build like a dream, the surface detail is lovely and best of all, you can get it for a few quid at pretty much every model show. Perhaps my favorite 72nd scale kit.

• Like 1

Fantastic work.

Must admit, had I noticed it, I'd have thought the drop tank reversal was a mistake.

Clearly it is an excellently researched build as well as a well-executed one.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sroubos said:

Great model, lovely restrained weathering.

This is such a great kit. It just build like a dream, the surface detail is lovely and best of all, you can get it for a few quid at pretty much every model show. Perhaps my favorite 72nd scale kit.

It builds really easily. The cockpit is rather bare but that doesn't bother me.

23 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Really nice work on the painting and weathering, Marco!  You did a great job on recreating the different shading that's evident in the photograph.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great job on your Banshee P-40 :thumbsup:

🙂 Thank you!

21 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Brilliant work - and 1/72!

That weathering is excellent,

Michael

72 rules! Thanks!

21 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Brilliantly done, a work of art!

Thank you!

11 hours ago, kapam said:

Fantastic work.

Must admit, had I noticed it, I'd have thought the drop tank reversal was a mistake.

Clearly it is an excellently researched build as well as a well-executed one.

:goodjob:

:thumbsup: It looks odd but interesting. Thanks!

What the others have said goes double for me- a b&w photo of your model compared to the original would be hard to tell apart! The Hasegawa P-40's were so far ahead of their time- if they only had put in a decent cockpit and deeper wheel wells...they still can be made into outstanding models, as yours proves. Well done- need to do their P-40E to go  with this one! (NZ markings, please!)

Mike