Austrian Draken

dalea

Can anyone tell me just what has to be done to a Hasegawa Draken to transform it into an accurate J-350? I am aware that IPMS Austria produces the necessary conversion but postal costs treble the price. Surely there are enough bits from Maestro to do it. I have in my possession kits 51402 and 51466.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:01 AM, dalea said:

Can anyone tell me just what has to be done to a Hasegawa Draken to transform it into an accurate J-350? I am aware that IPMS Austria produces the necessary conversion but postal costs treble the price. Surely there are enough bits from Maestro to do it. I have in my possession kits 51402 and 51466.

Essentially chaff/flare dispensern on the rear fuselage  and lenghtened fin tip. That is for the J35Oe Mk2 version.

During the early ninties hardly any difference at all to a D version with a late F/J canopy. 51402 you can do as is....

Sent me a message, maybe I can send it cheaper for a late one or the Specials.

The IPMS set is worth it I think!....

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

Summarised from Saab Draken Variant Briefing in World Air Power Journal , Volume 17 (2004) and Saab Draken Warplane Classic in International Air Power Review , Volume 5 (2002).

Deliveries of the the Saab J35ÖE Draken for Austria began in 1987 and despite extensive radar and avionics modifications the aircraft were described as externally similar to the J 35D that they were converted from but with the bulged cockpit canopy of the J 35F.    

On delivery the aircraft were wired for Sidewinder carriage but due to post-war international treaties these remained under ban to Austria until 1993 when the first AIM-9P were delivered.

During the mid-1990s the aircraft were fitted with second-hand RWR and countermeasures dispensers recovered from scrapped Danish Drakens , the RWR extensions are obvious on the aircraft involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...