Scourge of the Atlantic **Completed**

Some progress, to report and relax everyone it's green paint not blue to start with  :phew:

IMG_4303

I know is looks like it's just been dug out of the snow on the Russian front, but despite scrubbing the plastic before painting it's going to need multiple coats. Also the intricate detail, (make that rivets that HMS Hood would be proud of !) are taking quite a toil on the paint brushes, I have been toying with the idea of using a small roller !

In fact I might try an experiment on the spare fuselage and see if I can grate cheese with it !

I've also managed to break and lose the tag that holds the rudder in place at the top, so my repair will be a small bit of copper wire with a right-angled bend to replace it.

IMG_4304

More later, thanks for all the comments and leg pulling, really appreciated  ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Pat, JR, Here's how the H243 and H244 turned out when I used it on an He.115 - spot of H65  (straight from the tin) visible on the nearest float - I liked it but it was the very first time I had used this scheme.

WNi78QB.jpg

Hi Ventora,

thanks for showing us what these two paints look like on a model.

The hue is spot on for the color blind hermit I am. I just have a lighter density in mind: must have been more weathered paint.

I am sure I congratulated you on your 115 at the time, but a bit more praise has never hurt anybody. So once more, congrats on a beautiful Matchbox Heinkel!!!

JR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Second coat of paint on the Condor and looking much better.

IMG_4308

I'm tempted not to put a third coat on as it will look more weathered and salt sprayed...... I hope !

Next was to put the H65 on underneath, for all of you who will be offended by this choice, please look away now

IMG_4306

Lastly started painting the gondola and underwing bombs

IMG_4307

The observant will notice I have broken off and lost the radio antenna, so that's another job between me and the deadline ! 

• Like 8

The Condor is looking fantastic and it's biiiggg. Pat, I think the 'salt-weathering' is an inspired choice and I love H65 as a colour. Looking forward to the finished article. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

it does look indeed verrrrry big!

And as you can imagine, the first thing that hit me when I looked at your post was indeed the missing radio mast!!! Horrid!

A couple of question for you, who is happily bathing in RLM 65 heresy, when the rest of the world atones for your sins!

Top paint: is this the RLM 73 or the RLM 74 you have painted? Or more to the point: is there another greenish paint to come? Or should I just wind my neck in?

2 - Your RLM 65 is actually far lighter than I remember the H 65 to be. Trick of the light or paint having been tweaked by the manufacturer? Whatever, I like it a lot like that!

And 3: I do hope you have pushed the stick well forward to match the horizontal tail surfaces set to near vertical dive?

Bottom line: Me like it very much!!!

Cheers

JR

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

it does look indeed verrrrry big!

And as you can imagine, the first thing that hit me when I looked at your post was indeed the missing radio mast!!! Horrid!

A couple of question for you, who is happily bathing in RLM 65 heresy, when the rest of the world atones for your sins!

Top paint: is this the RLM 73 or the RLM 74 you have painted? Or more to the point: is there another greenish paint to come? Or should I just wind my neck in?

2 - Your RLM 65 is actually far lighter than I remember the H 65 to be. Trick of the light or paint having been tweaked by the manufacturer? Whatever, I like it a lot like that!

And 3: I do hope you have pushed the stick well forward to match the horizontal tail surfaces set to near vertical dive?

Bottom line: Me like it very much!!!

Cheers

JR

Hi JR

The paint on top is Humbrol H244 or RLM 73, that believe it or not is the lighter green, the RLM 74 or Humbrol H243 is even darker ! So I am at present masking to get the right shapes for the darker paint. 

I have masked and painted the gondola with RLM65, and fitted the undercarriage, I will fit the undercarriage doors when I am confident the undercarriage is fixed properly.

IMG_4309

Forgive the floral modelling surface, Mrs Jockney is hosting the local book club tonight, make that 12 women who meet up monthly having forgotten the name of the book they were supposed to read and get plastered on an excess of wine  🍷 while trying to outdo each other with how bad there other half is ! Yes I am exiled to the bedroom until they all go home :rules:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 14/03/2019 at 03:09, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

You got into the painting fairly quickly after the assembly. I thought those Grand Canyon size seams would slow you down a bit Pat. Looks like you got them sorted in Quick time.

Paintwork is looking great.

Thanks very much Ray, it's strange how some paints from the same manufacturer go on nice in one coat and others take multiples. It would be really boring if it was easy wouldn't it !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

The Condor is looking fantastic and it's biiiggg. Pat, I think the 'salt-weathering' is an inspired choice and I love H65 as a colour. Looking forward to the finished article. All the best. Mike.

Hi Mike

Thanks very much, yes much bigger than I thought. After building the B-17 recently finding somewhere to keep finished builds is becoming more urgent !

cheers Pat

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JR

The paint on top is Humbrol H244 or RLM 73, that believe it or not is the lighter green, the RLM 74 or Humbrol H243 is even darker ! So I am at present masking to get the right shapes for the darker paint. 

I have masked and painted the gondola with RLM65, and fitted the undercarriage, I will fit the undercarriage doors when I am confident the undercarriage is fixed properl

Forgive the floral modelling surface, Mrs Jockney is hosting the local book club tonight, make that 12 women who meet up monthly having forgotten the name of the book they were supposed to read and get plastered on an excess of wine  🍷 while trying to outdo each other with how bad there other half is ! Yes I am exiled to the bedroom until they all go home :rules:

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

all Scotland has to do is decree a sharia law whereby women are not allowed to learn to read. Easy, and there stops your banishment to the bedroom, because book clubs become irrelevant... You could as well include a ban on floral decorations, while you are at it! Oh, and most importantly, ban wine in favor of single malt!!!

Do I really want to, one day, rule the world?

Digression aside, I am really looking forward to see how the second top paint behaves.

Keep having fun, whichever room you happen to be in!

JR

• Haha 2

Thanks to the kindness of fellow modellers here on BM I now know what the paint pattern should look like and the only way to achieve anything close to the original is to mask the areas. So after lots of time and frustration later you get this

IMG_4313

IMG_4314

The textbooks in the picture are from my oldest two sons who are revising for their "highers" exams that's the Scottish A levels which you take at school before going to University or heaven forbid getting a job !

Still seems to be lots to do and the end date of this GB is racing towards us ! :frantic:

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

Masking is off, gondola is on.

Lots of filling for the gondola and a bit of touching up for the paint but not too bad

IMG_4316

IMG_4315

Masking the canopy is a complete pain in the bottom, thank goodness I'm not building an HE 111 or a BV 141 !

cheers Pat

• Like 6

Hi Pat,

the paint work looks really good and suitably weathered! The pilot must have been flying at wave-top level to get all this salt damage on the paint work! Ex submarine skipper, no doubt!

Colors are spot on and your Condor looks smashing.

And good luck to your sons for their exams (this is one stage of my wretched life I do not want to dwell upon....)

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Canopy is on but the fit is a shocker even after quite a while trying to adjust it

IMG_4323

IMG_4324

No alternative but to fill and repainted the area, keeping fingers crossed for a good outcome.

This is the area after filling and painting, not wonderful but better than it was

IMG_4325

I have replaced the radio aerial with the one from the other kit.

IMG_4326

Just noticed I have forgotten to mask and paint the turret ! :banghead:

Finally the view underneath with bombs loaded

IMG_4327

Cheers Pat

• Like 10

He is a braver soul than I will ever be, he who paints his model before dry fitting and gluing the canopy!

But you got it back under control in a very commendable fashion. Experience tells.

Great race to the finish Pat!

JR

• Like 2

Well I'm calling this one done.

The decals have silvered on the side of the fuselage, so if anyone knows a cure I'll be very grateful, but apart from that I'm pleased with how it turned out. Having consulted my excellent book on the Condor by Chris Goss, I see the world in a ring is supposed to have a yellow ring. The ones on the decals is Black and White, but as TV's we're also black and white in 1965 when this kit first came out that could explain things !

IMG_4334

IMG_4335

IMG_4336

IMG_4337

IMG_4338

IMG_4339

IMG_4340

Thank you for all the encouragement and humour along the way, I would never have finished it without you

:partytime:

cheers Pat :cheers:

• Like 9