Scourge of the Atlantic **Completed**

8 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Back in those days Revell used to offer us retractable undercarriage if possible. I believe the Condor landing gear was too intimidating for them to try that! V-P

If I haven't got it right, it's likely to be self retracting once the Condors weight goes on it !

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

Well that´s quite prototypically correct! Or was it the rear fuselage that kinked... You know, when a certain Austrian corporal once flew to have a one day visit in Finland, the left wheel brakes of his personal transport Condor overheated and began burning. It was a short runway in Immola for such a heavy plane. Here you can see the ground crew putting out the fire in the background of the saluting German officer. The wheel was ablaze before the plane stopped.

Very much :offtopic:btw. Source: SA-kuva.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

If I haven't got it right, it's likely to be self retracting once the Condors weight goes on it !

cheers Pat

I always thought the Condor's undercarriage looked like large extended claws when down - don't the legs angle forward slightly? I hope you can get those wheels rotating if you can stand the extra pain. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

I always thought the Condor's undercarriage looked like large extended claws when down - don't the legs angle forward slightly? I hope you can get those wheels rotating if you can stand the extra pain. All the best. Mike.

Mike you are correct, they angle forward a lot.

You are also a man after my own heart, not only rotating wheels but spinning props as well !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

your undercarriage looks impressive, as it should.

Have you, like the popes of modelling say when they write pompous build articles, done some dry fitting before committing glue to plastic?

Whatever you did or did not do, the undercarriage does look like it should: complicated and rather nightmarish!

Second question: where will you put the 12 volt motor that will power both the props and the retractable undercarriage? Good on you!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been remiss in doing anything to the Condor so tonight after seeing the Jockney clan off to their pits, sneaked a bit of modelling in on the dining room table.

First off put the 2 fuselage halves together, don't forget the turret, rear wheel oh and the rear tail planes that are bonded so they move together. Think herding cats and you get a good idea of the mess that ensued ! I used to be able to do this one handed as a nipper !!

IMG_4295

So lots of clamping swearing more clamping etc resulted in this

IMG_4296

IMG_4297

Like a fool I decided to test fit the wings......

Best summed up as below !

IMG_4046

More tomorrow 

cheers Pat

• Like 9

Are there modelers out there who don't cuss and swear like Canadian sailors? If so, how do they manage to beat styrene into the proper state?

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Are there modelers out there who don't cuss and swear like Canadian sailors?

Not sure, Ive been told two things consistently over the years. One that i could make a sailor blush, due to my use of colorful language. Two that i could teach a Missouri mule how to be stubborn. The joke being that Missouri mules are already the most stubborn out there. Those two describe me better than i care to admit. 😐 

Dennis 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Does anyone know where I can get a painting guide for this kit ? The one that comes with it only show half the top of the aircraft !

cheers Pat

I just checked my 1980's re-release instruction sheet and proper decorum and forum rules are stopping me from using the right words to describe the quality of the painting guide. If you would like the new 2006 kit, then I could scan and post/send that.

Chris

• Haha 2

Thanks very much @Corsairfoxfouruncle , for the painting guide, really appreciated 

Does anyone know what RLM 65 is in either Humbrol or Revell paint ?

I have Revell 55, Humbrol H23, H65 & H248 to choose from

I am hoping to get some paint on tonight so if you can help I would be very grateful 

cheers Pat

Not sure but the one reference i could find was Revell 55 ? As ive never seen a bottle of revell paint on this side of the Atlantic. I cant tell you if thats correct. When i google the color it looks pretty good ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Hi Pat,

this Condor resurrection is rather impressive and may even make me a believer !

Re RLM 65, I find that Humbrol 65 + 50% white is quite good.

Photos usually show the light blue to be very light... I can't believe I just said that.

Anyway, with the above you should be in the right ball park.

For the upper surfaces, RLM 72 and 73 may be a bit trickier to find in Humbrol...

Looking good!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1

Hi again Pat,

I forgot to mention a small detail re the RLM 72 and RLM 73 paints. I do know that X-tracolor have these 2 paints.

I am sure other paint manufacturers have them too, but I am not aware of which ones...

Good hunting.

JR

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

this Condor resurrection is rather impressive and may even make me a believer !

Re RLM 65, I find that Humbrol 65 + 50% white is quite good.

Photos usually show the light blue to be very light... I can't believe I just said that.

Anyway, with the above you should be in the right ball park.

For the upper surfaces, RLM 72 and 73 may be a bit trickier to find in Humbrol...

Looking good!

JR

Hi JR

For RLM 72 & 73 I'm using H243 & H244, really tempted to just use H65 for RLM 65. The RLM 65 colour seems to be very contentious.

Would people be greatly offended if I just use H65 and throw myself at the feet of my fellow modellers on here for this act of heresy ?

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JR

For RLM 72 & 73 I'm using H243 & H244, really tempted to just use H65 for RLM 65. The RLM 65 colour seems to be very contentious.

Would people be greatly offended if I just use H65 and throw myself at the feet of my fellow modellers on here for this act of heresy ?

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

in this hobby of ours, every color is contentious... If you use H65 as is, I will have to PM you the photo of a glove, which, after printing it, you will hit yourself hard on both cheeks with the piece of paper. That will have to do for now. I am sure we will find a place in space and time for the modelling duel.

Having said that, if you see a bunch of torch-bearing Dominican monks building a hefty pile of wood in your driveway, I am not the snitch. I am sure one of them checks BM daily.

Curious to see what H243 and 244 look like.

Keep having fun, and remember one never has enough opprobrium...

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

in this hobby of ours, every color is contentious... If you use H65 as is, I will have to PM you the photo of a glove, which, after printing it, you will hit yourself hard on both cheeks with the piece of paper. That will have to do for now. I am sure we will find a place in space and time for the modelling duel.

Having said that, if you see a bunch of torch-bearing Dominican monks building a hefty pile of wood in your driveway, I am not the snitch. I am sure one of them checks BM daily.

Curious to see what H243 and 244 look like.

Keep having fun, and remember one never has enough opprobrium...

JR

Pat, JR, Here's how the H243 and H244 turned out when I used it on an He.115 - spot of H65  (straight from the tin) visible on the nearest float - I liked it but it was the very first time I had used this scheme.

WNi78QB.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

No worries Pat, as long as you can endure the opprobrium we'll heap upon you. ;) :D

Steve.

Thanks Steve

I have to confess, I had to google it, my English teacher is probably spinning in his grave !

Heap away everyone, I've been married 25 years this year so I'm probably immune to criticism by now  ! :chair:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 5