Scourge of the Atlantic **Completed**

Hi Pat,

how is the repainting going?

I haven't checked you thread for almost a week and I expected to look at pictures of decals drying!

I spent a few days in good old Harare to find ubiquitous half a kilometer fuel queues at petrol stations, prices in shops that put London to shame and a thoroughly depressed mood... And I could not even access my BM site properly. So, nice to be back home! Now must rush to the B-17 GB to see what you have been up to!!!

So much stress!

JR

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

No probs there Pat, I was the same with my builds here, since the end date is further down the track. But now I must get on with them as my B-17 is now in the display case

Good for you Ray, my B-17 is currently parked on the living room table.

I am hoping to make a bit more progress tonight

cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the Coastal Command B-17 finished in the B-17 GB, it's long overdue getting the Condor moving. First thing was remove the interior repaint the correct colour and make adjustments until it fitted.

I found another reason the 2 fuselage halves wouldn't close was that there was no hole opposite one of the locating pins in the other half of the fuselage !

Next up a coat of interior green

IMG_4276

The observant amongst you will notice I have an unforeseen problem.

The Port Inner Flap part #54 is missing, see instruction page below. I have searched high and low without success and it's a bit big to be another victim of the carpet monster !

IMG_4275

So it's off to the wanted section here on BM you never know your luck :pray:

Cheers P

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

That´s a big part to be eaten, so it should keep the carpet monster fed for a long time before her next meal! Luckily, should you not be able to find the awol part or no luck at the wanted-section, you can always cut a replacement from a piece of sheet plastic, using the starboard flap desrever (=reversed) as a template. If you plan to show them lowered, that means of course some more work for the ridges :sad:.

V-P

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rob G said:

There's that, or this...

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Fw-200C-Condor-landing-flaps-1-72.html

You can thank me later.

:D

And indeed they are "cheap like soap", as we say here in Finland. Probably designed for the new tool Condor ( :hmmm:does that mean I suspect new tool and old tool aren´t dimensionally identical?)

• Like 1

Pat, I've got two of those old Revell kits. I could cut off the part you need and send it to you. Hell, I could just send you the whole kit.

I've got one of the newer Revell Condors so I can't see me ever trying to build one of those twisted & warped ancient monstrosities.

Chris

• Like 1

On 07/02/2019 at 09:58, vppelt68 said:

That´s a big part to be eaten, so it should keep the carpet monster fed for a long time before her next meal! Luckily, should you not be able to find the awol part or no luck at the wanted-section, you can always cut a replacement from a piece of sheet plastic, using the starboard flap desrever (=reversed) as a template. If you plan to show them lowered, that means of course some more work for the ridges :sad:.

V-P

Thanks V-P, great idea but as you will see in a minute things have changed unexpectedly 

On 07/02/2019 at 12:23, Rob G said:

There's that, or this...

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Fw-200C-Condor-landing-flaps-1-72.html

You can thank me later.

:D

Hi Rob

Thanks very much for the idea, I didn't know these existed, although I now as you will see have an alternative solution 

cheers Pat

On 07/02/2019 at 18:17, dogsbody said:

Pat, I've got two of those old Revell kits. I could cut off the part you need and send it to you. Hell, I could just send you the whole kit.

I've got one of the newer Revell Condors so I can't see me ever trying to build one of those twisted & warped ancient monstrosities.

Chris

Hi Chris

Thank you for your most generous offer which I was going to PM you about, when it occurred to me to look through my stash list to see if I had any spares. Better than that I found another whole kit !

No you are not seeing double this is a different kit

IMG_4282

Here are the contents, still well below the 25% rule so I will build this one and keep the wanted request so that I can pass on the other kit if I can find the missing part.

IMG_4283

cheers Pat

• Like 10

I was actually kidding about the etched flaps, actually. 

Now that you have found a way to replace your missing bit, could I suggest that you have a go at moulding and casting the piece using the 'new' kit as a source? There's easy ways to do so now that we live in modern times. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Just caught up with this. All this talk of an "old" kit! When we didn't know that there was a Revell Germany (everything came from Potters Bar) the original Condor was moulded in a fetching shade of pale blue, so you didn't need to paint the underside. Show me one of those and I'll tell you that it's old!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 14/02/2019 at 17:03, Robert Stuart said:

Nice find Pat

Are the wings on this Condor any better?

Hi Robert

Oh yes, as you can see below the parts just fell into place, it almost seems a shame to glue them !

IMG_4284

Seriously (for a moment) the top and bottom parts of the wing are a shocking fit to each other, once the glues goes off I will be able to judge how much of a battle it's going to be to get the engines to fit.

Mean while I have been wrestling with the undercarriage which is a real piece of work, having assembled one side I have been searching hi and low for the other parts without success. Slowly being driven demented, then I checked the photo of the kit earlier in the thread the other one was missing before I started (see if you notice it in the picture with the white plastic parts) Still it wouldn't be half as much fun if everything was in the box ready to build would it !

cheers Pat

• Like 5

Following this with great nostalgia, built the original light blue plastic version when I was 11-12 & thought I was the bees knees 'cos I used stretched sprue to create the nose mounted radar. The Airfix 109 was released around the same time in blue plastic & to someone my age was utterly amazing, two decal choices, choice of two air filters/intakes & a choice of cannon pods or rocket launchers underwing, for two bob!

Indeed at least one 109 was completed with rocket launchers & gun pods, I'm not proud to admit it but I liked weapons on my planes, the more the merrier. I think the main reason I bought the Condor was it had so many guns & bombs, different kinds of guns too, cannons & machine guns, whats not to like. Simpler times. 

• Like 5

Pat, you can do it - great work so far! I have this exact same kit and I went on to pick up other Revell 'Warbird' kits on the back of the level of 'working features' on this one. I am right with you to share your pain as I will come up with a similar excuse to build this one day! All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

Time for an update.

The wings are putting up quite a fight, not only did they require considerable persuasion to fit together, when the the clamps were removed, the fit is, a bit poor to be honest ! So it's out with the filler to make amends.

IMG_4289

IMG_4290

Next challenge is the undercarriage which looks and is complicated. You start off with these parts

IMG_4285

So at this point your thinking, but the instructions will be nice and clear and it will be easy....

IMG_4288

So after looking at pictures on the inter web you come up with this !

IMG_4287

Which looks like this when fitted underneath the wing

IMG_4286

Now if you are wondering why one set of parts are white and the other grey, that's because I am building this from 2 incomplete kits, it's more Frankenstein than Condor !

cheers Pat

• Like 6