It's a Hurricane, but not as we know it...

Hello All,

I've always liked the idea of a silver hurricane, so I picked this one to replicate. In essence, I converted the metal wing BoB Hurricane to a fabric wing early 1939 version.

The finish is entirely Alclad, High speed Silver for the fabric areas, and a 50:50 mix of Polished aluminum and Chrome for the engine cowl.

Decals were Aviaeology  Hurri stencils ,and bespoke Civil registration done by a friend who had an ALPS printer.

All comments greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Regards,

TW

6F3AE08D-DF5B-42D6-9BD3-00DDD73C5FDC

68098B34-1635-47D2-AC06-73BA37B5B319

5CC79797-E394-44A7-90AE-D9B6C077C250

9431937C-B9C8-4571-AE17-CC1561C73C31

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Spelling
  • Like 53
  • Thanks 3

Fantastic work with the big Airfix Hurricane!

Er… shouldn't the wings show at least some semblance of rib tapes to indicate that they're fabric covered, in 1:24th scale? Or did I misunderstand the purpose of the exercise, perhaps?

Great modelling anyway!

Kind regards,

Joachim

4 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Fantastic work with the big Airfix Hurricane!

Er… shouldn't the wings show at least some semblance of rib tapes to indicate that they're fabric covered, in 1:24th scale? Or did I misunderstand the purpose of the exercise, perhaps?

Great modelling anyway!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hello Joachim,

I intended to put on rib tapes using 0.005 strip, but I had a lot of difficulty trying to get consistent adherence, and removed them. My justification for doing so was a photo on the web of a fabric wing Hurricane being re-armed. In that close-up, you cannot see the rib tapes, never mind the ribs. Another factor was the kit detailing of rib tapes being inconsistent (ailerons different from rudder and elevators). I scrubbed all of them off as best I could, which caused the paint prep to take 3 months, while I repolished all back to smooth surfaces.

regards,

Tony

• Like 2

What a cracking looking Hurricane,........ love what you have done and it certainly looks impressive, especially in such a large scale.

Cheers

Tony

Outstandingly good and very different - I also really like this and impressed with how you achieved the differing tones between metal and fabric.  Simply superb.

Regards

Dave