Hello everyone ... Im posting this for now, as I am still planning on joining in. That will be delayed to some degree due to a temporary loss of modeling space. Im hoping to be back at it in 3-4 weeks.

This kit was a gift from a fellow member who had seen a post by myself about wanting to build one. He decided due to the complexity of Special Hobby kits, it would be best to give it to an established modeler. Rather than a new builder who may be frustrated and turned away from the hobby. I give you the interesting and quirky looking B-18 Bolo.

rIo47DE.jpg

Im still of two minds as to markings   I would like to do this in. Originally I was planning on an early war Submarine hunter like this one.

7YfSNER.jpg

The plane in the center of the formation ⬇️ is the same as this ⬆️ Plane.  

qBP7iUk.png

another example of an early war Bolo. 

kcXZqyS.png

However doing research for this i found a few in Neutrality patrol markings, such as in this photo. 

H72P81P.png

That is now starting to pique my interest. Here are the remainder of sprue shots. 

vEV1DLY.jpg

MmC9KuT.jpg

Not a duplicate photo just a duplicate sprue. 

Jly2Met.jpg

tyZ2cmM.jpg

The kit is the RCAF Digby version thus the British markings. I could still opt to do that as a markings option as well ? The kit has a small fret of etch and resin as well. This is all the decals collected to do any of the versions i am undecided on. 

PsgfqZR.jpg

My plan is to move and rebuild my office asap, then get back to building. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 13

I had an Airmodel vacform conversion for this many years ago, I can't remember what the doner aircraft was, but I have to admit I swapped it for an Airmodel FW191, looking at you kit, I think I made the wrong decision !

Good luck with the build, and I hope you get your man cave sorted soon so you can get building soon

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

I have the Digby version, too. If I ever get to it, it will be done in like this:

32179858338_ecd5296501_b.jpg

I worked with the pilot's son, John, for about 10 years.

Dennis, do you have any plans for those leftover RCAF decals?

Chris

• Like 2

Afaik., Bolos/Digbys sunk three u-boats before they were superceded operationally, two in the Caribbean by aircraft probably similar to Dennis' first illustrations & one by the Digby @dogsbody has shown. I quite fancy doing a Caribbean one but although I'm guessing its with a glassed front like Dennis' photos, I'd quite like it to be like the one shown in  @Mike's  photo with radar nose & MAD sting.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'd quite like it to be like the one shown in  @Mike's  photo with radar nose & MAD sting.

Steve.

You may be in luck Steve. From the manufacturers thread next to the Rumourmonger thread.

In post #66.

“B-18B Bolo 'ASW Version' in 1/72” kit #722301 new for 2019.

https://www.scalemates.com/companies/company.php?id=93#

According to Scalemates it contain’s the parts you are looking for. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Here's one you could try. I don't have any information on this photo. I don't even remember where it came from, though it was from a full-page ad from some old magazine.

46011850002_ec578e09ed_b.jpg

The original:

31123040647_5970febab5_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 8

Definitely interesting Chris ... Tried a brief search just now and no luck on this. I wonder by the description in the paragraphs below the photo. This could’ve been from a Bombardier training school out west in Arizona, New Mexico, or Utah ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Definitely interesting Chris ... Tried a brief search just now and no luck on this. I wonder by the description in the paragraphs below the photo. This could’ve been from a Bombardier training school out west in Arizona, New Mexico, or Utah ? 

I did ask around a few years ago and got the same responses you just gave. I searched for those but didn't find anything.

Chris

• Like 1

The radar nose. Again, I can't remember where I got this. I know the site was out there, with all kinds of WW2 American aircraft pictures, but I can't find it now. I usually save links to such sites in My Favourites list, but, alas, no joy. I have found that a few sites listed there are no longer available, so perhaps it's gone the way of the Dodo.

46012949072_12c8bceafd_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ayyy she is an ooglie beastie ... But she is my ooglie beastie !

Fair point.  

As I used to say on bop night, whatever the size and shape, they all need loving...!!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

The radar nose. Again, I can't remember where I got this. I know the site was out there, with all kinds of WW2 American aircraft pictures, but I can't find it now. I usually save links to such sites in My Favourites list, but, alas, no joy. I have found that a few sites listed there are no longer available, so perhaps it's gone the way of the Dodo.

46012949072_12c8bceafd_b.jpg

Chris

Fantastic, I didn't realise they has satellite TV in those days, that must have helped passed the time rather than looking out the window for boring submarines  ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Dennis, I don't know what B-18 references you have but I have a fairly large photo file of Bolo pictures. Some or most are LIFE colour photos with a few others and some B&W. If you need anything, just let me know.

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Chris i would like that. If you happen to have anything showing Neutrality patrol Bolo’s id be interested in that as well. 

So, pre-Pearl Harbor markings?

I'll take a gander through this, to see what's there, to give me an idea of what to look for.

45155355265_ec90b3ec12_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1