Dennis, I've been through the book, but it really doesn't make mention of Neutrality Patrols and the only picture from that time period is the same one you've posted above.

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

How's the Bolo Dennis?

Will be starting it tonight or tomorrow sometime. The kit looks very good overall. I did have to take some 1000 & 1500 grit to the wings to knock the pebbly skin look down. Thats all the prepping for this build that I've done.

Im still undecided as to final scheme. Im leaning towards the NMF of the 27th Recon. Squadron. They were based in Puerto Rico starting in 1939 for Neutrality patrol of the Caribbean sea. That breaks down to overall NMF. That would be complimented by the rudder in the Red, Blue, & White stripes as well as the cowlings in Insignia blue. I should have a decision in the next few days on that.

Dennis 

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That breaks down to overall NMF. That would be complimented by the rudder in the Red, Blue, & White stripes as well as the cowlings in Insignia blue.

That would be a striking look.  I concur!  😁

With stars and meatballs?

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with this Dennis,..... it is a lovely kit and I`m sure you`ll do an excellent job. There are some wonderful schemes out there, here is a nice one from another boxing of the SH kit;

018478.jpg

018481.jpg

And there are some interesting Brazilian AF aircraft in the same boxing!

Also,... in case it is of interest,...... here is one that I built in later RCAF markings;

DSCF0356

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one,

Great looking Digby Tony. I organized my paints and such today planning on starting after a Doctors appointment tomorrow. I will be deviating from the instructions for my build. Im planning on doing a Neutrality patrol version. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello @JMSmith ... I owe you a thank you after all. I was clearing up some old Emails on Sunday. While doing so i came across my Britmodeller daily updates for the day you posted. In the updates was the actual link instead of the Digby profile shown here. The link functioned as expected. I spent a good amount of time perusing the artwork you have. I will be basing my scheme on the profiles of 240, 242, & 243 that you have in the link. Thank you again for posting the link even though i found it in an odd way. 

Dennis

It is a very nice kit but there is a flaw lurking in this kit🤨😱

I discovered it when i had on my desk long time ago, i had the idea that the vertical stabilizer looked to high in comparison with some side views/ pnotographs..

The thing is that the stabilizer of a good hight but they misplaced the horizontal stabilizers too low on the aft fuselage.

Therefore the tip of tail sits above those stabilizers where it should be below..

Also they sit lower then the aft fuselage windows where they should be exactley in line with the upper line of the window..

As you can see on the very nice pics above my post!

The aft fuselage shape is not entirely correct and therefore this mistake in placement not an easy fix..

References i used are the aforementioned books and some very nice Life color pictures from the WWW

Nice linky

http://447.insidetrackmagazine.com/wwii-aircraft/wwii-american-planes/b-18-bolo/

Most people never recognised the problem as i never heard of one noticing it....

Nevertheless i don't want to take your joy away in building this nice piece of history and the colorschemes can be very nice ..

Love to see what you make of it!

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

John has done some fine work there, for sure. I have some colour photos of those Bolos, though you've probably already found them online.

Chris

Thanks Chris

Yes I've had these in my file for a few months now. These are what im really relying on for interior colors. The full set is about 60 photo’s long. I have about half of those saved in my file. 

On a slightly different note ? Do you have the Digby kit, or a standard bolo kit. The reason i ask is the Digby has an entire sprue for Anti-submarine antennas. Im guessing that the Bolo kit probably doesn't have or use this sprue ? I will send the sprue as well as the wiring diagram for the antennas if you’d like ? 

Dennis

3 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Most people never recognised the problem as i never heard of one noticing it....

Nevertheless i don't want to take your joy away in building this nice piece of history and the colorschemes can be very nice ..

Love to see what you make of it!

I appreciate the heads up Jan. I never noticed either until you pointed it out. I cant fix it nor can i think of a way to do so. Unless someone winds up making a new rear section in plastic or resin. I personally can live with it as its strictly in my collection and never competition. Thats a great link and im sure i will get a lot of info from it. Thanks again for both the heads up & link. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello everybody ... Well i can finally say I've started this. Not much but in between doctor’s visits and battling a chest cold ive managed to do the front office of the Bolo. 

6mFaeoX.jpg

This amounts to about 2-3 hours of work over about a 24 hr span. Next up the interior of the plane. Questions, comments, or jokes as usual ? 

Dennis

• Like 7

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Chris

Yes I've had these in my file for a few months now. These are what im really relying on for interior colors. The full set is about 60 photo’s long. I have about half of those saved in my file. 

On a slightly different note ? Do you have the Digby kit, or a standard bolo kit. The reason i ask is the Digby has an entire sprue for Anti-submarine antennas. Im guessing that the Bolo kit probably doesn't have or use this sprue ? I will send the sprue as well as the wiring diagram for the antennas if you’d like ? 

Dennis

I have the same Digby kit as you, so I don't need the radar antenna. Thanks for the offer, though.

Chris

• Like 1

Hello everybody ... Well progress is slow but there is progress. Pretty finished with the interior painting and mounting of the main parts. 

rNkGdqk.jpg

I went with Neutral grey on the cockpit walls. The same series of photo’s that @dogsbody showed, shows me the walls were grey not Aluminum, Int. Green, or Z/C/Y. 

55jhz2p.jpg

AFELgyM.jpg

The waist section is kind of a weird color ? Not Int. Green & not aluminum but a mix. So i painted the Int. Green and have drybrushed aluminum over that. Then i will give that a green wash to kind of balance it. 

F5wsbWY.jpg

More to be added later im off to what amounts as the closest thing to a hobbyshop in these parts. I need the exterior metals for the finish. I have only basic aluminum so im hoping to get at least one other to set some panels apart. The photo’s from the same series makes it quite obvious there is a distinct pattern on the skins of these early Bolo’s.   

piTkf86.png

XxZUOQw.jpg

NvNSbJr.jpg

TVR7BEp.jpg

C2TP9iV.jpg

Hope you like it and as usual questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 9