Me Bf 109 F-2, Zvezda 1/72

jean

Hi,

I have just started the 1/72 Zvezda Me Bf 109 F-2, and it is a great kit!

I have decided to use the Xtradecal  X72-162 sheet, with a view to do the second option: White 2 of III/JG 53.

Bf 109 F-2 JG 53

I have been searching my doc and the internet for a photo of this specific plane, but to no avail.

XTradecal confirm that there is indeed a photo of the plane in the following book: Malta: The Spitfire year 1942: page 126.

So if any of you happened to have this book, I would really appreciate if you could send me a scan of this photo.

Furthermore, Xtradecal stipulates that the mottle camouflage on the sides is RLM 02, 70 and 71. I would personally see the mottle in RLM 74 and 75.

If any of you has any idea on the above. please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

JR

• Like 1

Messerschmitt-Bf-109F2-7.JG53-(W2+I)-HerMesserschmitt-Bf-109F2-7.JG53-(W2+I)-HerMesserschmitt-Bf-109F-9.JG53-(Y11+I)-EriFrom asisbiz.

Sorry for just found photos taken in 1941.

Is this one? Some differences.Seems area under "2" repainted with 02.

Luftwaffe colours by Ullmann reads mottles consist 74,75,70 and 02 colours. IMO dark mottles shown at some photos may be 70 or fresh 74. Later there wolud not be so many colours..just upper camo schme..

Rear band was yellow in Barbarossa, when tranfered to Comiso, there must be some repainting, for ID band was white on MTO axis crafts.

I do not think this 109 had been all over repainted, just around band instead. Pik-A on port cowling or both sides?

Third image does not refer to Neuhoff, but this one also from III/JG53 .

Edited by fernandocouto

3 hours ago, fernandocouto said:

Messerschmitt-Bf-109F2-7.JG53-(W2+I)-HerMesserschmitt-Bf-109F2-7.JG53-(W2+I)-HerMesserschmitt-Bf-109F-9.JG53-(Y11+I)-EriFrom asisbiz.

Sorry for just found photos taken in 1941.

Is this one? Some differences.Seems area under "2" repainted with 02.

Luftwaffe colours by Ullmann reads mottles consist 74,75,70 and 02 colours. IMO dark mottles shown at some photos may be 70 or fresh 74. Later there wolud not be so many colours..just upper camo schme..

Rear band was yellow in Barbarossa, when tranfered to Comiso, there must be some repainting, for ID band was white on MTO axis crafts.

I do not think this 109 had been all over repainted, just around band instead. Pik-A on port cowling or both sides?

Third image does not refer to Neuhoff, but this one also from III/JG53 .

Hi Fernando,

thank you for taking the time to reply. 

These are extremely helpful photos and information you have posted. It would appear it is indeed Neuhoff's 109.  I guess I could attempt to do this one, as opposed to the 109 he used in the MTO a year later.

I have two problems with that: I am intent on doing a bunch of MTO schemes, and to do the paint scheme you have shown me with a paint brush, may be rather challenging! Yes, I am one of those dinosaurs that has never touched an airbrush! Our power comes purely from a diesel generator... I rest my case.

On the other end, I do not like not having a photo to use as reference, as even Xtradecal, much to my chagrin, have been known to make mistakes!

Nobody's perfect. So I may well go with your photos/profile if I do not get the photo I am seeking.

Thanks again for you great help.

JR

6 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Fernando,

thank you for taking the time to reply. 

These are extremely helpful photos and information you have posted. It would appear it is indeed Neuhoff's 109.  I guess I could attempt to do this one, as opposed to the 109 he used in the MTO a year later.

I have two problems with that: I am intent on doing a bunch of MTO schemes, and to do the paint scheme you have shown me with a paint brush, may be rather challenging! Yes, I am one of those dinosaurs that has never touched an airbrush! Our power comes purely from a diesel generator... I rest my case.

On the other end, I do not like not having a photo to use as reference, as even Xtradecal, much to my chagrin, have been known to make mistakes!

Nobody's perfect. So I may well go with your photos/profile if I do not get the photo I am seeking.

Thanks again for you great help.

JR

It's a pleasure.

Such camo is difficult even by airbrushing...