Misfit 2 Now finished and in RFI

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm still not too sure what the yellow cone is for on the roof. I found it in a spares box & it seemed right at the time.

Paint it white & orange = traffic cone, if there's anything that's guaranteed to still be around in the 22nd century or whenever it's going to be a traffic cone, doesn't even have to have a reason for being there, it just is.

• Haha 3

Reduced to five shillings and sixpence halfpenny for tax reasons.

Thanks for all the likes and comments, Chaps. I'm going to try and get more done while I'm off work & now that I'm back from the depths of Leicestershire.

• Like 3

And we now have more paint. First, the base.

4j13bPa.jpg

The ground is a sort of desert brown, yet it doesn't really show in this picture.

y7x68Zo.jpg

In this slightly out of focus close up things may become more apparent. The drains have dribbled some water down giving life to some form of lichen.

The concrete has some drifted sand staining on it. I left the metal bits grey but weathered with sandy brown. It gets everywhere!

FmrA8rS.jpg

A close up of the front deck. The crane, blue intake and red jobby are just in position temporarily. Everything else is various shades of brown.

QMoRBTh.jpg

The rear deck, the wheelhouse in temporary residence to see how it blends in.

irA5rlr.jpg

And behind the wheelhouse those oxygen cylinders got a lick of grot paint too.

CWbCghV.jpg

Another shot of the front end.

zjFBEnO.jpg

The holds have been painted and weathered along with the walkways.

ubtMWTF.jpg

And a distance shot reveals the camouflage scheme. It's a mix of various brands of acrylic and I started off too yellow but just kept adding more and more brown 

as I misted coats on to get a patchy finish. The green was drybrush splodged on at random. In the background you can see the back wall of the dock. 

I superglued a piece of paper to the tilespacers and it's now weathered though it looks better without the light shining through it. (See the first picture).

Why do this to it? well, next time you're in a multistory car park, look up. The scalloped finish actually makes it lighter and stronger.

J5WkKwM.jpg

And the Starboard side (That should keep Spaddad happy). The bollards? they were in a Christmas cracker, A small set of bowling pins.

I'll have to try and get some better close up shots that show the colours better.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Spaddad happy

Perfect example of an oxymoron there Pete.

Excellent work on your boaty thing, top notch scratch-building.

• Haha 1

Be sure to let me know when you guys are fed up with yet more pictures.

I got a lot of progress done in a short time today. The wheelhouse is glazed, it's roof is fixed in place and a wind generator from misfit 1 has taken up residence on the traffic cone.

2U6Mdo9.jpg

The control desk complete with a flat screen.

3HpyHtR.jpg

I gave the rear wall a mist of white primer which I think has made it look less patchy. It may need another mist.

9TZUgpO.jpg

A desert shot which should show the colours better.

KxEbT6w.jpg

At the top of the oxy tanks you may just make out a pipe going into the privy. This is an attempt at humour. (ahem).

I also fitted the door and added a handle on the inside. The handles were Ju88 bomb cradles.

eQm9i7U.jpg

The STARBOARD side of the wheelhouse and showing (just about) the wind turbine on the roof.

yQ3IGVh.jpg

Yet another slightly blurry shot. We now have numbers, so this is a B class ship whereas Misfit 1 was a G class.

The decals were for an Argentinian Lancaster and IIRC I've had them since a magazine gave them away in 1983.

OezPTUV.jpg

And this little gizmo is what the red jobby will plug into for dockside power. It was part of an Italeri Opel Blitz fire engine, built decades ago.

Plus there's a Harrier nozzle, a WW2 German halftrack wheel and some sort of cross affair added to it.

As always, thanks for putting up with my weird imagination and I hope to coming to a conclusion on this build in the near future.

Pete

• Like 5

• 1 month later...