Misfit 2 Now finished and in RFI

5 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

but are they the correct spacing

Stupid Boy, Pike!

These are Sci Fi rivets and as such can do magic things!

I mean, if the Millennium Falcon can dogfight at low level......

• Haha 2

I got a few hours out in the Mancave today, so I'll show you what I've been up to.

Np6b5Sv.jpg

First off, what are these bits for? I'll show you in a bit. Yes, it's a Golf Tee.

BSKgvFK.jpg

Along the edges of the sides I'd glued on pieces of tube and today I glued in split pins. This is rear right.

f2gHXVH.jpg

Some pieces of Christmas tinsel (which looks like rope in close up) and we have safer walkways. Hurrah!

PaG1Yci.jpg

Here is the front end with half a table tennis ball glued on. It's an anti gravity generator really. But you knew that.

In front of it, a dome for the ground mapping radar.

zWQdi93.jpg

Here at the back end we have two anti G generators and a grey thing in the middle which is for the thrust engine.

The grey thing was, sometime in the 70's, when I originally built the kit,  the gun pod for an Airfix Henschel Hs 129.

Next to the hull those pieces have assembled themselves into a radar pod to go up top. If I can find room.

3BWQeJZ.jpg

And this is the state of play as of tonight. Thin superglue pretty much melted the TT balls into place.

I did a bit of work on the cabin too. I think we are close to paint point! At least, a first coat of primer.

Thanks for looking.

Pete

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I turn my back for a while and you get all sci-fi on me.

I approve.

Reminds me of a story, probably apocryphal, about a conversation between a NASA scientist and a Star Trek scriptwriter. When the scientist asked how the artificial gravity worked on the Enterprise, the script writer replied “Very well”.

Trevor 

• Haha 6

Amazingly I managed to get more time out there this morning.

So I thought it was time to do something about the cabin/bridge/cockpit (What do you call it on a flying ship?)

Plastic card and odds and sods from the spares boxes yielded these results.

3nPJ0f1.jpg

The back wall got these bits. On the left we have a cupboard & on the right is a collection of bits that look like they might be something useful.

jDyVcd9.jpg

In the front we get a control desk (screens are made and will be added later) with a couple of greeblies which were original ship kit bits.

RAsmYZ1.jpg

Looking through the doorway, it's the useful thing. The grey bit is Airfix railway (bridge?) then card, the green bit Russian tank and the top bit?

EhCq6tu.jpg

To go in there is this seat. Ex Kubelwagen, on a stand. The blue thing on the front was a button! Now a vent.

kZV4wNO.jpg

And so to the roof. This is almost straight from Misfit 1. I've added the radar pod, a vent for the privy & a greeblie behind the searchlight.

Cl3ipkK.jpg

And on the bow, the grey thing, I added fuse wire. So that is now the distillation coil for the Henson* drive.

The white bit gets vent pipes either side that were in the original kit. It looks finished now, and that, I think, is the secret of this sort of modelling.

Things need to look fit for purpose and to look as if they belong where they are placed. 

*Copyright Muppet Labs.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

cabin/bridge/cockpit (What do you call it on a flying ship?)

In my opinion its a boat so bridge. Wether she floats on water or air its still a boat ? However I did check up on wiki. Dirigibles or “airships” use a cockpit if that matters ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

This is fantastic. I can’t drink at the moment due to medication.

My life was a little dull without the odd ‘wee dram’.

Then I found this thread.

A void has been filled.

Incredible creativity Pete, definitely watching an artist at work. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Where it’s going next, I have no idea, which is a good thing and makes it even more fun. 👍 

Best regards

TonyT

• Thanks 1

Why thank you, kind Sir.

I'm glad to be of service and must say that it's good to see you back amongst us.

(Keep your arms inside the vehicle and wear the seat belt provided).

I just finished a glass of Aussie red with dinner, so I'll dedicate that one to you.

I'm enjoying it enormously, I also like the fact that no one can say it's wrong!

' Ooh no, they changed the colour in 1941 and then back again in '42 you know' etc.

Whilst driving around delivering the falling down water today I've been mulling over

whether it's time to add primer and exactly how to do it. It passes the miles.

Thanks again and regards

Pete

Work today was spent whizzing around Nottingham and it's shire and lasted exactly eight hours for a change.

This meant I got home at about 15:20. Kettle on, into the mancave! It's been forever since that last happened.

Grey acrylic primer applied to the decks, holds and underneath the hull. I let that dry for an hour and took a tentative look.

Not bad at all. Only a couple or three places that showed up in need of filler. So I mixed up some Milliput, added a bit of spit,

(best thing for it) and plastered applied as directed, as required. A couple of places just needed a dab of correction fluid.

So that can all dry until the next time I get out there. I'm not sure if there will be any time this weekend as I'm going to be busy 

doing family stuff and cutting down trees (as you do). We shall see what happens.

Thanks for looking in.

Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

Correction fluid?

I have used tippex as a filler. The spirit based one is better than the water based one.

Sands well, and doesn't seem to shrink quite so much as other fillers, I have found.

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 1

Yes folks, Tippex/correction fluid. I thought everyone knew about this one.

Get it cheap from Home Bargains in a blue plastic squeezy thing.

It will fill small gaps, can be wiped over with IPA to remove excess and can be rubbed down too.

And it dries fast too. Marvelous stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a busy couple of weekends with the trees and associated parts thereof. Spent two evenings just burning the twiggy bits.

The garden is all tidied up now (though there's more felling next weekend) and I managed a couple of hours in the manshed this afternoon.

Not a whole lot of progress, I sorted the cradles for the gas bottles on the front end (Ju88 bomb racks, remember?), glued on mountings 

for the steering vents under each end, and mixed up some thin cockpit green and painted the wheelhouse/bridge/whateveritscalled. 

Why cockpit green? Well, like everything on this build, it just seemed right. Not enough progress to warrant pictures. Perhaps next time.

Thanks for checking in,

Pete

• Like 2

And we're back yet again. Day one of my time off work. Not back until the 12th! Got to use it up before the 31st, y'know.

Today, in modelling land I built up the stand for Misfit & gave the sides of said boat a coat of white primer.

And here are the pictures to prove it....

GIiGE4O.jpg

Oh look, a green wheelhouse/bridge etc. Also in view we have the oxygen tanks for the privy. 🙂

I'm still not too sure what the yellow cone is for on the roof. I found it in a spares box & it seemed right at the time.

UzTBIq4.jpg

And this long shot shows the white primer (I wanted a contrast on the top coat. It might work) And look at that fence on the back of the dock.

I wanted something to 'make the break' at the back and this is it. Would you believe it's a sheet of tile spacers? Had them for decades!

JNxakYQ.jpg

Here at the front is a gas bottle sitting in it's new cradle. Drill hole in card, cut in half & voila!

There will be a pipe from the back of the bottle to the small widget behind it.

ElcTw5M.jpg

A view of the base. It's all done with thin superglue and tippex, folks!

KbeYPmE.jpg

And a view from the other side, with the old six inch ruler to show the size of things.

In case you forgot, that's Faller platforms, Grey Airfix turntable and station platform bits, & brown Ikea bits.

The small holes in the platform bits were for the roof supports. Here they can be drainholes.

KoEDzBF.jpg

And now it's all the same colour. Good job I remembered to remove the perspex boat supports before I sprayed then.  

Just cheap grey primer to show up the faulty bits. Not too bad, bit of wood filler required though.

This weekend is more tree felling tomorrow, I'm off to Peterborough model show on Sunday, then Leicester for Family stuff & back home on Tuesday.

Thanks for looking, Pete

• Like 4

On 2/11/2019 at 7:20 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

I meant to take a picture of the back wall of the privy.

Well, I had these Oxygen tanks from a 1/24th Spitfire. And I just thought, yeah, why not?

I quite often wish my dunny came with oxygen tanks.

• Haha 3

On 1/7/2019 at 3:56 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

a card shim under it from about the centre of the boat out to the LH side so the boat then sits level.

Port side sir, port side.

You know, the one in Egypt.