Misfit 2 Now finished and in RFI

Hi Pete!

Sorry I missed the start on this, cracking work on a great concept!!:thumbsup:

I must admit that when I first read 'Floaty Boat', I thought straight away of this:-

Great start Pete, I will be following this!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, morty_3333 said:

I thought straight away of this:-

And that is the example I use to explain to non modellers what I'm building.

Thanks for posting the picture, I'd not seen it before.

And, thanks for the comments, guys.

Bit of an update for the rivet counters & those who need to know.

Trolling through the net, I found the grey girder bits 

are Airfix railway turntable parts. Now re-produced by Dapol.

3 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

do you have a scrap mountain in your back yard because I would have thrown the lot out?

It's just the perspex rod and, I have to say I found it around the back of a pub!

One mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

Today I managed to find time (somehow) to box in where the rods will go across the hull.

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow, 'cos I have the week off! :P

• Haha 1

As promised, pictures.

FSdhTX0.jpg

This may make things clearer. The drill bit shows how the acrylic rod fits. A plastic card 'lid' is then fitted.

Because the tunnel is deeper than the rod (to allow for wriggle room when mounting the boat) the lid has

a card shim under it from about the centre of the boat out to the LH side so the boat then sits level.

(The tunnel is about 10mm deep while the rod is a shade over 8mm).

1UHGtDV.jpg

And later that was all hidden under this decking.

FrPn22p.jpg

At the stern I've widened the previously made rear deck where the wheelhouse will sit. 

The centre 'rod tunnel' can be seen and I've modified and added the side pieces to the hold.

BCEJDR3.jpg

The deck and sides are just loosely fitted for now prior to final adjustments and gobs of filler in the tricky bits.

QGlOPYK.jpg

A long(ish) shot. Once the side pieces are in place I'll build a full width bulkhead onto the centre 'tunnel'.

The walkways on the side pieces will also need to be wider.

It all looks a bit rough now but I will 'make good 'as I get the final adjustments made.

My work with plastic card may not be too precise, but so long as blood isn't spilt then it's good enough!

So after all of that I will have two holds with decent width and length but not much depth, though I have yet

to make a final choice on the cargo front so that it shouldn't matter too much.

Thanks for looking/laughing/wondering etc

Pete

• Like 7

On 1/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, Max Headroom said:

I think a rubber duck is needed for scale.......

Just for you, I hijacked a plastic duck from my youngest Granddaughters ball pool.

Here it is (slightly out of focus) admiring what I've been up to.

GWZgPPb.jpg

0DJ5eye.jpg

That's better. The crane and the two jobbies with it were salvaged from the original Misfit.

I don't think Matey is impressed.

xUBFtLi.jpg

The blue thing is an intake of some sort. Just built from bits though the outboard intake is 50's Corvette.

The side intakes are engine side panels from a '30's American car.

The red thing is a refueling/air pressure thing? again, built from scraps.

bk7BM5Y.jpg

I've modified the wheelhouse. I wasn't happy with the original front window and then found this.

It's from an Airfix station platform set and is part of the news stand.

LgHm3bg.jpg

But wait, what now? table tennis balls? a bit of a radome & the caps from kids soft drink bottles?

I had an epiphany. Everyone loves a pirate, right, I mean Millennium Falcon, eh? So, What if Misfit 2 is part

of the Maschinen Kreiger world? A gun runner, it's a planet at war after all.

Now in kreiger the anti grav units, certainly on the Falke's, are half table tennis balls. And I just happen

to have some. The Falke is 1/20 & this is 1/32nd, but this is heavier so the units are bigger. Makes sense?

xAX8KmX.jpg

A bit of deft work with a fine razor saw and a scalpel & voila. The back end has two anti grav units, some

sort of radome thingy and a steering turret which can use exhaust gas to shift the back about.

I'll need some sort of thrusters to achieve forward motion.

PllNAun.jpg

And we have a similar set up at the front. These are just in place for the pictures at the moment.

0CpiXZQ.jpg

Here's another odd thing. Stuka exhausts? Well, the Falke uses P-38 Lightning superchargers which exit 

the two front anti grav units. Here I'm going to use these exhausts on the rear units for a similar porpoise.

The front one will use some gash sprue. (Unless someone would like to send me some 1/32nd P-38 bits?)

m0Xgs34.jpg

And now it's getting silly. I'd swear those are grey mice and Bearcat wings. Well yes, they are Bearcat wings,

from a boxful of built kits I bought at a car boot. The 'mice' are actually drop tanks? from an Airfix 1/24th

Typhoon. Now, bear with me here. You know how a hydrofoil works? And an Aeroplane? What if you get your

floaty boat up to speed, and deploy small wings on the side to create extra lift & speed? The tanks are the mounting points.

They'll be on the side of the boat. The lines indicate where I will cut slots, so the wings can be raised or lowered. Fiendish eh?

And that is it for now. I've got lots done due to my week off work. I even managed to remember to phone in and

find out what I'm up to on Monday. In at 0500! Norwich! In the 18 tonner.

Cheers.

Pete

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Is that duck Imperial or Metric????

I think it's Chinese, so calibration is difficult.

But the answer is probably in Mandarin.

I don't need inspiration, thanks. I have so many ideas for things to build,

I need to keep going for another twenty years at least. And if only to use up

all the stuff in the spares boxes! I'll need an extension to the mancave too.

I like Japanese animation generally, love anime. But the Yamato stuff is a bit weird.

Why do that? Why not build a proper spaceship that, for a start, wouldn't leak air like a sieve?

And, when they fire the guns, why doesn't it go sideways? Okay, it's for kids. Maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

The crane and the two jobbies with it were salvaged from the original Misfit.

Glad you mentioned that Pete, I thought I had missed a months worth of posts.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Here's another odd thing. Stuka exhausts?

And what is this, new, still bagged and all shiny, tch,tch ,tch, whatever next, OOB build:boom:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

And what is this, new, still bagged and all shiny

Hannants sell them off cheap, so I buy three or four sets at a time in various scales.

They will enhance the build and are unavailable used, so it's probably kosher.

11 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

whatever next, OOB build

Wash your mouth out, that man!

I've sweated (well, shivered) over this for hours. 

What is next is a slight change to the propulsion system.

And they are new parts but from a part built kit so I think I'm clear.

Thanks for looking in.

Pete

• Like 1

Another week gone by and here's another update.

I managed to get about three hours in the manshed this weekend, so, pictures!

2xwcf1C.jpg

Starting at the front with this one. More bits box bits.

The grey bit in the middle is a robot weapon of some kind, the white bit behind it, I have no idea.

I'm also not sure what they represent, but they look good there and will look better with paint.

Slightly aft of that combo we have two Airfix Ju88 bomb racks which will hold modified bombs.

Although they aren't bombs here, possibly some kind of removable gas tanks. Similar to the propane

tanks on a forklift? (only one fitted here for the picture though & not glued down yet).

ASWf0xr.jpg

And here we zip aft to the rear wall of the aft hold. On the left is a green V8 Cylinder head. The dark green 

part is some kind of tank bit, but here it's a door to the machine room under the aft deck. The grey louvre

may be Su27 intake? and the white bit is the air cleaner from an American V8. 

The boarding ladder may be F-16 and the hand rail is a bit of a 1/24th ladder.

All of the above serve to busy up the bulkhead, make it look like they belong there, and actually do something.

KEISJ8r.jpg

This is the dividing bulkhead between the holds. The transparent thing is the disposable safety cover

from a cheap razor. It now becomes a means of lifting the boat by crane if need be.

YAwidlY.jpg

This is the front face of the dividing bulkhead. Not sure what the grey bit is but the red bit is from an Airfix

RAF emergency set fire tender and is probably nearly 50 years old.

Odq8yJx.jpg

And this is the front face of the fwd hold. A bit of ladder which needs a hand rail and another bit of intake.

quGY91d.jpg

And when they dock, the crew need access to the dock. So this is the left side with two doors scribed into

the safety rail. Maybe you can see two grey rods representing piano hinges for the doors.

Lower down on the hull I've made a set of marks. Earlier I mentioned rivet counters, here's where they get excited.

I've bought a tub of small dress making pins and will be cutting them down, drilling holes where you see the

marks and sticking the pins into them. They are nicely rounded and will look like proper shipyard rivets.

I did the same thing on the original Misfit too. It's boring (ahem) but makes a difference. @Ex-FAAWAFU eat your heart out!

AGA0FgC.jpg

Final picture for tonight. The RH side. You can see the mounting holes, and I've marked out the rivet pattern.

Now this side will be against the dock and probably will never be seen again. But at least I'll know it's riveted. 

The doors on this side are now folded back and there will be a gangplank to the dock through there.

Comments, money, etc gratefully accepted.

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 6

Another update for anyone still sober at the bar?

I promised rivets and rivets you shall have.

Although I modified things a bit and added some exoskeleton.

VilhQ7r.jpg

This is left front. The pins are cut about 4mm below the head and dropped into a puddle of thin superglue.

Pick them up with your second best tweezers and insert into the predrilled holes. I found that it was best to 

only dunk about five 'rivets' at a time as otherwise they tend to clump together and are then useless.

A9TwYxz.jpg

A wider shot of the left side. The 'exoskelton' is Slaters plasticard strip.

It's the future so bits of this thing may be glued together.

FH5739A.jpg

The right side. It will be against the dock but nevertheless I did the rivet thing. I'll know they are there.

JKFAPxV.jpg

Greeblies on the hold walls. From a WW2 German halftrack. Rocket launchers.

Xh8rH7t.jpg

A general shot of the left side. You can just see a hand rail on those fwd hold steps.

At the rear I'm adding safety rails.

Thanks for looking.

It will soon be time for some paint!

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'll know they are there.

Very admiral sir, I have made the decision after much procrastination that I shall no longer build or paint what cannot be seen, horses for courses as they say. My build rate is too slow and mother nature is conspiring against me.

Looking forward to see a coat of paint applied, I take it it will not be US Ghost Grey or Olive Drab?😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I take it it will not be US Ghost Grey or Olive Drab?

I'm in two minds about the paint.

I could go for your traditional ship scheme of red, black, white etc.

But if this is supposed to be a 'gun runner' in world at war then some

sort of camouflage is called for, heat seeking missiles and radar notwithstanding.

The other day I saw a Peugeot in what can only be described as desert tan.

So boring you had to look twice to see it. So it may well turn out like that.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:39 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

This one?

https://i0.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/allegro_7.jpg?resize=555%2C451

I think I've seen one or two in hearing aid beige though.

This French car was even more boring than that.

My first mini was in that colour, baby pooh brown we used to call it....The build is looking great the rivets and seams are fantastic but are they the correct spacing for that model earea. 😁

• Haha 2