RF-101C-75-MC Voodoo 56-0119 - Update 22/02/19 A small update and a little about Voodoo Nos.2 & 3

Hi all!

Having kicked off my next Thud build I wanted a further project - an OOB ideally - to run alongside and to brighten the darker hours when the Thud might not go as planned. I weighed up the FJ-3D and the RF-84F but opted for the Voodoo, and a machine that I had seen at Bergstrom AFB, Texas in 1980 when it was still a gate guard there. SHe went on to be a Vietnam vet. She is now in the NASM, or at least her nose is. I had thoughts of a Sun Run machine but they seem well accounted for via the old Hasegawa kit and so - with difference being my guiding principle - I've gone for this machine. The only photo I can find is this:

"6 April 1959: At Edwards Air Force Base, in the high desert of southern California, Colonel Edward Hamilton Taylor, United States Air Force, set a Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) World Record for Speed Over a 1000 Kilometre Course of 1,126.62 kilometres per hour (700.05 miles per hour),¹ flying a McDonnell RF-101C-75-MC Voodoo, serial number 56-0119."

I know that it had a white tail and my assumption, to which I am happy to be corrected, is that she had International Red/Orange bands around the fuselage. Otherwise she was pretty plain. To me, though, she is not a machine that I've seen modelled. I will use a Valom kit with some resin and brass extras, plus some home produced decals. I don't recall a Valom Voodoo on BM so I hope it will be interesting to some. 

Launch will be tomorrow when I will wash her and get some of the basics together......

back soon :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
added tags and modified title
  • Like 14

Well, I got as far as opening the box! 

IMG_0004

IMG_0005

IMG_0006

You can see that I've gone for a few extras. In fact I've now realised that the kit cockpit is pretty plain so I've order a F-101B Pavla in the hope that I can use that in a modified way to better the kit. Time will tell. So far, though, it looks pretty simple - oh, those words! I'll regret them, for sure! So, as the extra aftermarket stuff is in the post I cant move on :(. A few days ........

Martin 

• Like 8

Hello Martin!

Yes, the Valom’s Voodoo here 🤤 This spring I decided between this and Kitty Hawk’s kits and chose the second, so it would be very interesting to see your progress here!

The kit looks very well and not over-detailed.

I’m in, good luck 🤝

Cheers! 🙃

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, RidgeRunner said:

I know that it had a white tail and my assumption, to which I am happy to be corrected, is that she had International Red/Orange bands

Martin,

I looked at my copy of F-101 Voo Doo by Ronald Easley, and I found two photos of 56-0119- one is the same as the one you posted with the white tail, and the other shows 56-0119 from the RH side, from the  national insignia back, with Col Taylor standing in front. There is only one fuselage band at the front, which also looks to me to be international orange, but no band at the rear, as in your photo. However, the tail in the photo appears to also be red/orange! Since -0119 was used for both the 500km and 1,000km speed record attempts, maybe the tail was white for one and orange for the other? The Lou Drendel Sq/Signal Voo Doo book doesn't have any photos, not does the FAOW on the Voo Doo. Best I can do, my friend. If I find anything else, I will let you know. Going to be pretty, no matter what scheme you put her in!

Mike

Martin- I just found this link, which I bet you already have seen, but posting it anyway,on the chance. it shows -0119 in her SEA colors and markings as well as some good color photos of record-setting one-oh-wonders. Enjoy!

Mike

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/mcdonnell-rf-101c-voodoo/

Edited by 72modeler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

But the Kittyhawk is 1/48?

It was not so important for me that time - I just want to build a good looking Voodoo. And be careful - Valom provides a bit vague painting instructions in case of the cockpit and the landing gear bays.

Cheers! 😎

30 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It was not so important for me that time - I just want to build a good looking Voodoo. And be careful - Valom provides a bit vague painting instructions in case of the cockpit and the landing gear bays.

Cheers! 😎

Thanks Nikolay

• Like 1

Hi again Mike!

Much appreciated. I would value a copy of that photo :). There was a second machine used in that record breaking programme. It had a single band and an orange tail. Maybe it was that? I am aware of the link you sent. Thanks even so.

Martin

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi again Mike!

Much appreciated. I would value a copy of that photo :). There was a second machine used in that record breaking programme. It had a single band and an orange tail. Maybe it was that? I am aware of the link you sent. Thanks even so.

Martin

I just realised the book you are referring to, Mike. I have it ;). That is where I got the second machine reference from, although this is from memory as ?I am not near my books right now. ;)

Martin

I just realised the book you are referring to, Mike. I have it ;). That is where I got the second machine reference from, although this is from memory as ?I am not near my books right now. ;)

Martin

Hi again Mike! @72modeler

i've looked up the book and the red-tailed machine is 56-0105. Maybe that's a potential build too? ;)

Martin

added:

56-0119 became "the Green Dragon" in Vietnam while 56-0105 became "The Iron Eyeball". Both  are available from Printscale (usual warning apply)

Edited by RidgeRunner
Added more text
  • Like 1

As an aside and for those Vietnam-era lovers out there........ Lots and lots of great machines, not just Voodoos (F-4, U-3, C-123, C-130, C-121, C-47, C-46, etc) :) @russ c @72modeler and many more of you ..... I love the sequence at 32:38 :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting project !

I'll be following, I'm tempted by a single seater Voodoo and I have to decide between the 1/72 Valom kit and the 1/48 KH one... I'm generally a 1/72 builder myself but I've found shops where the 1/48 one is only slightly more expensive than the Valom kit, maybe this thread will convince me that this is the best option

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Lots and lots of great machines, not just Voodoos

Martin,

I'm still drooling! Great RF-101 footage! I sent this one to my friend who flew A-1's and A-26A's in SEA; he also flew F-101B's and the Voo Doo was his favorite jet. He's going to love watching it. Thanks so much for sharing this one. I have only built two Voo Doos, both in my much younger years- the boxscale Revell F-101A ( with the three external tanks!) and the small scale  Monogram F-101B. I do have  three Hasegawa F-101's, a Valom RF-101A and F-101A, and the old Microscale conversion to do an F-101A from the Hasegawa RF kit. I must do a Bentwaters-based F-101 and an RF-101 from the 363rd TRW. Gonna be watching your build and taking copious notes.

Mike

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Gonna be watching your build and taking copious notes.

Well, I'm far from being an expert! The 'Doo was a wonderful machine. I made two trips to Ellington, in 1979 and 1980 and spent time on the line with em "live" :). In '79 I spent ages walking around the storage lines at MASDC, when many 'Doos had only just been retired.... Great memories :).

Add: how about that flock of T-28s with 'Doos lining up behind them at 32m 38s?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Valom...?

Kittyhawk....??

HA!

Here's the kinda Voodoo I'M talking about....

IMG_20181127_173738

Seriously though, you're working with some interesting schemes that could work with this piece of modelling history, as and when I ever get around to doing battle.

Pulls up a seat.....

• Like 3

On the RF- the centre point was for the flash unit.

Martin

THAT's where Revell messed up on their box-scale F-101- the kit came with three identical external tanks! If they had done the Mk 7 store instead, they would have been 'way ahead of their time! 😜 Wasn't the Frog Voo Doo a reboxed Hasegawa kit?

Mike

Just for clarity, what's "box scale"?

Is that 1/72, as opposed to "quarter scale"?

39 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Wasn't the Frog Voo Doo a reboxed Hasegawa kit?

Not sure how to tell.

The horizontal tailplanes are one piece, with a fin cap+rudder piece to go on after---

IMG_20181127_235058

Does that help identify.?

Edit

Scalemates says yes....!

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Does that help identify.?

Yep- just pulled my Hasegawa kits and the parts breakdown is identical to the parts in your photo- I have one in silver and two in grey plastic. Thanks for the post, Rob! Box scale refers to most of the early injected kits made by the U.S. kit makers which were not to a constant scale, like 1/72, 1/48, etc. but were sized to fit standard-sized boxes; this was done so that kits could be stacked more efficiently and effectively on hobby shop shelves, For example, the Revell F-101A kit was in 1/75 scale

Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=Revell+boxscale+F-101A&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs4Kzm7fXeAhVHKKwKHcG2CvwQ_AUIDygC&biw=1280&bih=654#imgrc=NrZZJcIqSAzktM:&spf=1543365860721

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Martin--will be following this w/ interest!  Never hear dof the Voodoo be called the 'Doo--but then again '79 would make me about 4 do I will take an alibis 🙂--if I remember correctly, the side by side Thud is your Mr Toad build--correct?  It will be interesting to see what you come up w/ wheel well colors--it is always interests me how non-standard the well colors were in the late 1950s - 1960s before the USAF/USN standardized to white wells--this will be a great build!  Best--Red Sox Fan

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

THAT's where Revell messed up on their box-scale F-101- the kit came with three identical external tanks! If they had done the Mk 7 store instead, they would have been 'way ahead of their time! 😜 Wasn't the Frog Voo Doo a reboxed Hasegawa kit?

Mike

Yes, Mike, the Frog was the Hasegawa.

Martin

• Like 1