RF-101C-75-MC Voodoo 56-0119 - Update 22/02/19 A small update and a little about Voodoo Nos.2 & 3

Hi all!

There is little news on the Voodoo front. Over the past few days I have tied up the paintwork, although there were few leaks from the masks, thankfully. Today I got he gloss vanish coat on (Glosscote) ready for decaling. I had one accident, though, when I dripped a little varnish from the airbrush cup but fortunately it is in a spot that I can repair fairly easily and hopefully nobody will notice ;). Here she is:

60119 varnish stage

You can see that one of my last tasks was to add the grey wing walkways. I had forgotten about these because there were no decals in the kit as it was a SEA machine. So, I painted them and will outline with black lining decal. Decaling soon! :). You can also see some of the NMF variation, acheived by mixing metalcotes. 

On the subject of Voodoos, my next build - the F-101A - is underway. I wont be posting any thread as it is basically the same as the RF-, with just a different instrument panel and nose. I might post a thread when I build the underbelly pylon, though.

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

She looks great, Martin! It's nice to see that work can be finished soon.

Cheers! 🙂

I hope so, Nikolay. I need to clear space for the next two builds ;)

Martin

4 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Coming along nicely Martin  ii  I expect she'll be a beauty!

Ed

Thanks Ed :)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Hi all, 

I started decalling the Voodoo today. My intention was to use a visually-excellent Microscale set, from which I'd use the national insignia, U.S.AIR FORCE, USAF, etc. So, armed with warm water, brushes, setting agents, etc I set off earlier today only to find that the decals crumbled when being applied! :(. So, I've slowed up and no used some Xtradecal national insignia and a few kit stencils as a starter. I've then printed the decals that have failed me s well as taking the airbrush to the Microscale sheet with a dusting or two of Glosscote. I'm hoping that will let me at least use the stencils as they are far more comprehensive that the kit sheet. 

I've also added a Glosscote dusting to the Thud, ready for decalling after the Voodoo. As you can also see here from the cramped shelf that is my build line, I have started the next Voodoo. I have also started the Starfighter but that is out of shot. Simply, I need more space. I've agreed with Mrs RidgeRunner that I can swap my current office/workshop for one of our double bedrooms :). I just need time to get things shifted. Then I can build a display case, probably employing one of Ikea's Billy bookcases :).  

image (5)

I probably wont post much more on the three above (apart from RFI). Although I think I might post when I build the central pylon on the next Voodoo. You chaps may be able to guide me through that process. Until then......

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

Hello Martin... Great work on all of your builds. Is that a French Spad In the background ? I was thinking about your new/next VooDoo. You are going for the supersonic target towing plane correct this one ? 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235050374-any-idea-what-this-test-vehicle-is-on-f-101a-53-2438/

I know this is left field thinking here. Wouldn't one of the spare 105’s wing pylons be a good option to modify or use ? Unless the prototypes used all of there pylons ? Could you use it as a blueprint for the new pylon ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Martin... Great work on all of your builds. Is that a French Spad In the background ? I was thinking about your new/next VooDoo. You are going for the supersonic target towing plane correct this one ? 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235050374-any-idea-what-this-test-vehicle-is-on-f-101a-53-2438/

I know this is left field thinking here. Wouldn't one of the spare 105’s wing pylons be a good option to modify or use ? Unless the prototypes used all of there pylons ? Could you use it as a blueprint for the new pylon ? 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. 

Yes, the Spad is this one:

The Jug is:

a good idea about the pylons but I fear the Voodoo pylon was larger. I will take a look, though. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wouldn't one of the spare 105’s wing pylons be a good option to modify or use ? Unless the prototypes used all of there pylons ?

I think to use a pylons designed by MDD is the best solution here:

8285028823_e94f2ed807_b.jpg

I hope that G. Verver don't mind to use his picture.

Cheers! 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 16 February 2019 at 7:03 AM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I think to use a pylons designed by MDD is the best solution here:

8285028823_e94f2ed807_b.jpg

I hope that G. Verver don't mind to use his picture.

Cheers! 🙂

Hi Nikolay!

on checking the rough dimensions the pylon on the Voodoo is much larger and a different shape. I'll scratch build it from thick plasticard.

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Hi all, 

i started my day today with a fair degree of optimism, which was soon to be dashed. My issue was that the Microscale sheet I purchased via the web was old (clearly!) and the decals crumbled. So on Tuesday I gave them a dusting of Glosscote but that did nothing t help and today I again had flaking decals to contend with. I contemplated a coat of Kristal Decal film liquid but having never used it I was nervous. So, it has been a round of printing the remaining decals on my PC and Glosscoting them ready for a re-start (hopefully) tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I have managed to get some black lining on the wing walks, as well as the unit badges and a couple of "compliant" USAF decals and serials. :) 

Alongside, and with 40107, my F-105B, sitting patiently for decals on the shelf, I have been pressing on with the next Voodoo. This time, and I don't know why, the fit is horrendous. The wing-fuselage gap has needed some plastic card fillets added to bulk up the gaps prior to filling. Also, I realised that I had the wrong instrument panel prepared and painted - so started again with that. She is, at least, looking like a Voodoo now, though .....

Martin

60119 18feb

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is, at least, looking like a Voodoo now, though .....

Eh... The Valom RFs looking like a Voodoos because of a noticeable nose design (except the too wide spine and tail (where the air brakes is) areas), but their «A» and «C» versions of the fighter are completely off. Anyway, it’s my opinion.

As for your RF-, I hope you finish her soon - with the decals on she’s looks fantastic! 👍

Cheers! 🙂

That's interesting, Nikolay. I really don't have a choice, sadly, as my build is underway and I wasn't aware of the accuracy issues. Certainly my A-model will require a bit more filler and gloop. :(. Before then I must get the RF- done and then the F-105B...... :). Too much to fo and no time! :(.

by the way, this time I assembled the wings completely before installing them - your suggestion. Maybe this is why I have more gaps along the wing-fuselage seam?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

Martin,

I don't know how hard it might be to find iin Great Britain, but Micrscale's Liquid Decal Film is the bee's knees.  For the past 40 years, two coats of that have saved every decal sheet I've ever tried.  Also, T pretty much test every decal sheet before use, if it's over about 5 years since it's release date.

Good luck -- end "Endeavor to persevere"!!

Ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really don't have a choice, sadly, as my build is underway and I wasn't aware of the accuracy issues.

I know it, Martin - the FROG/Hasegawa RF- has the same issues. So it’s only a Revell’s «B» with a proper shapes.

Certainly my A-model will require a bit more filler and gloop. :(.

That’s interesting, too... That’s will be an absolutely identical parts, as I understand.

by the way, this time I assembled the wings completely before installing them - your suggestion. Maybe this is why I have more gaps along the wing-fuselage seam?

I think it’s because of the little fuselage twist within the wing area - try to widen it a bit with a spacer made of sprue or a plastic card.

OK Martin, I believe that you’ll finish them soon! Looking forward for your decaling process (as for me, the decal-making is something exorbitant)!

Cheers! 🤝

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Martin,

I don't know how hard it might be to find iin Great Britain, but Micrscale's Liquid Decal Film is the bee's knees.  For the past 40 years, two coats of that have saved every decal sheet I've ever tried.  Also, T pretty much test every decal sheet before use, if it's over about 5 years since it's release date.

Good luck -- end "Endeavor to persevere"!!

Ed

Hi Ed, 

yes, I have the liquid decal film. I've never used it, though. Can it be airbrushed? If so what is it cleaned with? 

Thanks.

Martin

Hmmmm....... not the best of days :(. I've realised that because I rushed to build Voodoo No.2 (53-2438) I made some errors that led to the large gaps in the wing roots. All my attempted corrective action simply made the poor model a contortion to the point that I would never have been happy with her. So, I made the bold decision to scrap the build and open another box. Maybe decadently wasteful but I have reclaim parts for Voodoo No.2A :). The result is that I now have a build that has less Thin cement dribble and seepage, no finger marks resulting from my banana-like digits grabbing wet cement and smearing it on the kit, and a build that  is now the right shape with the seams matching okay, or at least as good as a Valom kit can be. :). So, a new shot of the build as she is today ...... and the scrap!

image (8)

Clearly I need to add the wing fences but essentially I am back where I was 24 hours ago but with a cleaner build :). The main thing I changed in the build was the wing completion. Whereas I previously built the wing away from the fuselage, this time I dry mounted it, having installed the u/c well walls and intakes, checked the fit of the upper wing halves for alignment, and then cemented everything. This meant that I could get the splitter plates settled properly and the top and lower wing halves matched correctly. While this is a simple kit to build it takes some care to get the less than precise moulded parts aligned. 

She is now settled and curing for a while, giving me time to contemplate my F-104A and Voodoo No.3, a RF-101A 54-1514 of the 363rd TRW as she was during Exercise "Desert Strike" in 1964 :). I know, I know, I've been going on about a couple of B-57 builds, and these will come, once I get back on plan ....... :)

Martin

PS: I meant to say that I'm not posting any more build images of 56-0119 as she is simply in the decalling-varnish-panel lining and weathering stage. 

Edited by RidgeRunner
added PS
  • Like 3

Looks like a Voodoo mania starts again! 😋

My F-101C, F-101B and RF-101C are waiting in their boxes...

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Maybe decadently wasteful but I have reclaim parts for Voodoo No.2A :).

Having the spare kits is not a bad idea. How many Voodoos you have in the stash at the moment? 😃 Looking forward for your progress, Martin.

Cheers! 🙂

1 hour ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Looks like a Voodoo mania starts again! 😋

My F-101C, F-101B and RF-101C are waiting in their boxes...

Having the spare kits is not a bad idea. How many Voodoos you have in the stash at the moment? 😃 Looking forward for your progress, Martin.

Cheers! 🙂

Four, Nikolay.... Then I will run out of steam ;)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nikolay!

Sadly things have been slow because of a few family trips to the hospital :(.

Well, 60119 is just about finished. I finished decalling last week but had an issues when acouple of home printed decals where rubbed off while going through the panel lining stage with Flory Dirt. I had to reprint and apply replacements. I hope to finish her tomorrow by fitting the seat, AoA vane, tailplanes, and canopy, and then giving her an overall satin coat. 

The next one, 32438, is stuck at the point of needing filler as I must clear the shelf of my Thud, which is also at the panel lining stage. I also have my F-104A Hasegawa/Italeri conversion (52969) underway. Once they are done I will be getting RF-101A 41514 started........ 

By the way, I have picked up two Revell F-101Bs in 1/72 (of course!) for great prices and one includes a rRe decal set, enabling me to build one I have been keen to build - A 136th FIS machine. The second will be 56-0635, a test machine used for Project lifeline. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1