RF-101C-75-MC Voodoo 56-0119 - Update 22/02/19 A small update and a little about Voodoo Nos.2 & 3

Hi again Stuart!

my plans for using the B-model cockpit is flawed around the instrument panel. I have a plan but can't get to the bench this weekend :(.... More news as and when I have it :)

Martin

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Hi Martin, not a total loss if it''s just the i/p...you'll sort it.

Stuart

Thanks for the confidence, Stuart. I'm sure I will ;). It's a shame, though, because the Pavla set is beautifully detailed, not that detailing and painting cockpits is my forte!

Martin

Some progress on the Voodoo front too :).

Today I've tackled the cockpit. As you will see above, I opted to try getting a chopped F-101B resin cockpit in my RF-. Some worked, some didn't. The latter refers to the instrument panel. You can see below that the resin offering (centre left) is very different from the RF (far left).

IMG_0272

So I decided to chop the detail from the resin and cement it to the stryene. In reality the IP sat proud of the rear panel anyway so I think I got away with it.

IMG_0273

I then painted it. I am not the best detail painter so apologies up front!

IMG_0275

It was still a little dusty in this image but you can get the idea, I think. Simply it was a wash of black in the instruments, Humbrol 140 Grey background, Humbrol 33 Black where required, some red and yellow added for odd switches and then a dry brush with metallic (Humbrol 11 silver in this case). Thereafter I added a few wipes of Tamiya oil stain here and there. 

Not the best shot but it is installed:

IMG_0276

and once reasonably cured, camera ports installed and a little weight added, she is a complete fuselage......

IMG_0277

As with all kits on this kind it has no locating pins and so it was a matter of cementing one part, getting it aligned, allow a little curing and then a repeat around the seam. 

Then I added the beautiful resin intakes, although I had a sawing disaster of my own making!!!! As you can see I have left the moulding blocks for strengthen after I cut in the wrong place :(.

IMG_0274

That's about it for today :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Nikolay, it isn't perfect but it matches my level of expectation ;). It is certainly better than the Valom alternative. By Monday I hope to have her looking the shape of an aeroplane :). I will have the recce nose to build after fixing in the camera ports, the wings to build and mate with the fuselage, and then filling the multitude of I'll-fitting joints. 

Martin

• Like 1

'morning!

A little more done on the Voodoo :). Today it was the nose and getting the various transparencies in place for the camera ports. Initially I thought they'd be less than ideal but actually they are not too bad.  Here's where they need to go:

IMG_0279

The edges of each aperture are bevelled and so they retain the transparencies well, although a very little sanding is required. I fixed them in place with Formula 560 Canopy Glue, which dries clear. I use this on all canopies now. 

IMG_0280

IMG_0281

The forward facing transparency is a little more tricky and will need more sanding and bevelling to get it is fit. Mine isn't perfect but it will do. I hope it will hold out when I get to two halves together. The only big issue with the nose moulding is that it is a little warped and opens out slightly towards the forward end. I'll deal with that when the time comes, probably with a mix of sanding and filling - pretty much par for the course with this kit.

Next it was on to the intakes and internals of the lower wing box. One of my resin intakes dropped away today and so needed re-fixing with superglue. After that it was a matter of building the side walls of the undercarriage wells. These come as three pieces and need some careful placing. Like everything with this kit the fit is not great! 

IMG_0285

The next task is the exceedingly fiddly job of getting the PE vanes stuck in position in each intake. These drove me mad! They are currently on their last chance. If they fail again I'll re-do them in styrene ;). Aaarrghh......

IMG_0286

IMG_0287

That's about it on the Voodoo today. I hope prospective Valom builders like my comments. Here is my RF- as she is right now. Assuming all's well and A-model is to follow.

IMG_0288

Martin

• Like 6

Don't get the impression from any of my text, Terry, that it is a bad kit. It isn't ;). It is just typical short run. I'm glad to help, if I can :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
a little more text added
  • Like 2

PLEA FOR HELP - 1) does anyone out there know the camera port and under-nose antenna configuration for this period, please? Despite having most of the F-101 books that are available I can't find anything definitive. And 2) does anyone know the identity of the unit badge on the nose in the image shown at the head of this thread?

Thanks,

Martin

Another couple of hours fiddling with styrene ;). Today I wanted to get to the point in which she looks like an aeroplane. That has meant some frustration with PE and the intakes (the most annoying part of this build - so far!), joining the two halves of the recce nose, adding the wings (top and bottom). I've also got the belly tanks together. 

So I started out dry fitting. At this stage the PE splitter plates in the intakes are fitted but the dry fit of the wings has shown that these are extremely prone to movement.

IMG_0298IMG_0298

After losing a little more hair in frustration my remedy was to make two replacements from Plastikard. These can be attached using stryene cement and thus allowing more wriggle time and a more sturdy seating. So, with these cut and installed it was back to the dry fit of the wings and the further splitter plates (below), which fit snuggly (supposedly) against the intake opening. I struggled as the instructions show one way of instruction but the natural fir was the opposite.    

IMG_0294

My decision - and it may be wrong - has been to fit them as they seem to want to be, i.e. not as per the instructions. There are, however, some triangular plates that need to be sanded away.

IMG_0299

IMG_0300

So once all were fitted I began to get her together 

IMG_0302

As I said, I have also got the recce nose together.

IMG_0296

For the transparencies, as I said before, I used Formula 560 canopy glue. Once I got these two halves together I applied further canopy glue externally, wiped away to clean up. You can see, however, that all was not well and the forward facing window is not aligned. My solution has been to fix this in place allow to dry and then sanding the face flat followed by a series of sanding stick applications and a blob of polishing compound. 

IMG_0305

You may not see well but it is actually quite good. I'm pleased. The nose will be fitted to the fuselage in the next stage. Dry fitted it is like this:

IMG_0297

It will need a fair bit of filling as it was warped. :(

Well, that's about it for today on the 'Doo...... maybe some Thud work after lunch ........

Martin

Addendum:  I forgot to paint the intakes before assembly. I just blasted some metallic through them now ;). All good.

57 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Sorry, no help from here Boss.

Stuart

Thanks anyway, Stuart

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 6

Great work against the odds.

That glorious airframe shape is starting to emerge from a box of bits!

Sorry, no help with the details you seek.

I found a great B57 Canberra Veterans/ interest Group when I was doing one......

Is there such a thing for the 101?

You tend to get private collection pics and personal first-hand accounts.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, RidgeRunner said:

1) does anyone out there know the camera port and under-nose antenna configuration for this period, please?

Martin,

Do any of these help? I'm guessing you already have them?

Mike

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:McDonnell_RF-101C_Voodoo_camera_configuration.jpg

https://www.scalespot.com/reviews/kits/rf101-kh/review.htm

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/valom72095reviewsb_1.htm

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-RF-101C-Voodoo/1279493

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 19:40, RidgeRunner said:

PLEA FOR HELP - 1) does anyone out there know the camera port and under-nose antenna configuration for this period, please? Despite having most of the F-101 books that are available I can't find anything definitive. And 2) does anyone know the identity of the unit badge on the nose in the image shown at the head of this thread?

Hello Martin,

you can find some useful information in this thread: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/303949-kitty-hawk-rf-101ac/&page=5 or ask @Ben Brown here 🙂

Nice progress so far!

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov

Yet another Ridge Runner thread I should have been following all along :banghead:

Mr Observant me :nerd:

I remember making the Hasegawa Voodoo back in the late 70's/early 80's when I was a yoof!  I painted it with Humbrol Authentics and was quite pleased with the result.  What I wasn't pleased with was that none of the NMF colour schemes were in the box, also, it was the first time I realised that not all Hasegawa kits were the state of the art kits I'd been led to believe they were (and to be fair, the previous Hasegawa kit I'd built was their 1/72nd Mitsubishi T-2 which is a beauty).  I have a later edition in the stash so I'd be keen to compare it to the Valom kit.

Keep up the good work Martin, now I've found this thread I'll be regularly tuning in!

• Like 1

Hi Nikolay!

the small white one shown here as my replacements are tedious to fit. The inner ones  might work as you say. I have already cemented them together but maybe I will try that on the next one ;). I have a Valom F-101A ready to go next :).

Martin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have already cemented them together but maybe I will try that on the next one ;).

That’s why I called all my builds «tests» 😂

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I have a Valom F-101A ready to go next :).

Yesterday I visited a hobby shop and saw the Valom’s Voodoos: F-101A (Nuclear Bomber), F-101C and RF-101C... It was a very seductively, but I resisted. I think about the first one, but something stops me.

Thanks! 🤝

13 hours ago, Wez said:

Yet another Ridge Runner thread I should have been following all along :banghead:

Mr Observant me :nerd:

I remember making the Hasegawa Voodoo back in the late 70's/early 80's when I was a yoof!  I painted it with Humbrol Authentics and was quite pleased with the result.  What I wasn't pleased with was that none of the NMF colour schemes were in the box, also, it was the first time I realised that not all Hasegawa kits were the state of the art kits I'd been led to believe they were (and to be fair, the previous Hasegawa kit I'd built was their 1/72nd Mitsubishi T-2 which is a beauty).  I have a later edition in the stash so I'd be keen to compare it to the Valom kit.

Keep up the good work Martin, now I've found this thread I'll be regularly tuning in!

Hi Wez!

I'm happy to pipe you aboard, sir! ;)

Martin

A little more fiddling today. My first job was to get the nose on and then to mask all seams that require filling to avoid any overspill. I use Squadron Fine Filler which quickly eats in to the stryene and so I try to minimise any wrongly applied this way. I then leave these tapes for the early stages of sanding, again to minimise errors with the stick!  She looks like this today:

IMG_0316

Now, while I that settles and cures (not long ;) ) I have the subject of the jet pipes to tackle. The Valom kit falls down in this regard, in that they are too short. My remedy is to purchase some stryene tube (actually i is Butrate) to make up the shortfall. The diameter of the tube I purchased is 12.7mm while the jet pipe rear end to match this is 12.8mm. Pretty much bang on! :). Note to other builders: even the Detail & scale drawings are wrong in this respect. 

IMG_0314

Above are the resin and PE parts, plus the tube, that I now need to get in to the correct shape. The apertures on to which the jet pipes should sit are like this:

IMG_0315

I had considered boring this out so that I can slip the tub in but on reflection I will simply cut a ring a cement the jet pipes directly on to he face of this.... unless I find that the aircraft had obvious thin edges in this area and in that case I will go back to sanding! :(

More again soon.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Note to other builders: even the Detail & scale drawings are wrong in this respect. 

Yes, the Detail & Scale drawings of a Voodoo are incorrect (actually, in many aspects).

Good progress, Martin! The tube for an afterburners is a good idea 👍

Can you take a photo of your bird directly from the top? I suspect that Valom gives her a little wings... 🤔 Just for sure.

Cheers! 🙃