RF-101C-75-MC Voodoo 56-0119 - Update 22/02/19 A small update and a little about Voodoo Nos.2 & 3

On 11 December 2018 at 6:07 PM, 72modeler said:

Apologies for the delay, Mike. I got distracted! They are very useful links. Thanks a million.

Martin

6 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I may not get any more done on her until after the 25th so ......

Same for me here Martin, as the house begins to fill from the 23rd, right through to new year. One of my visiting sons takes up residence in the hobby room as well, so no proper modelling till the new year after the 23rd but I will use the next couple of days to sort a few issues on a couple of models. Oh and one of my grandson's has a quick build Red Arrow Hawk, so may have to help with that!

Have a great Christmas and New Year!

Terry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Oh and one of my grandson's has a quick build Red Arrow Hawk, so may have to help with that!

Well, that sounds like a plan, Terry :). Have a good one. Today I'm just tinkering anticipating the call to get out to the shops - again! Ooopps, I spoke too early ....... ;(

All the best,

Martin

As I said in my current Thud WIP, I lied! I took advantage of an hour or so to do a little on both models. For the 'Doo I made up new wing fences. The kit fences - moulded in the wing - are woeful :(. So, out with the Plasticard stock, the craft knife, a razor saw and cement :). Here is the fruit of my labours:

IMG_0343

I also drilled out the hole to take the missing inlet on the leading edge of the fin

IMG_0344

Currently the build looks like this, with initial sanding done.

IMG_0346

After Christmas the airbrush will get to puff a little primer over her, once I've fitted the forward canopy, masked the camera ports and canopy.

Martin  

• Like 6

Hi Nikolay!

Now this is where I will disappoint many. I have never used Alclad or anything like it and so that is out. I am a user of enamels only and my favoured brands are Humbrol and Colourcoat. Probably - only probably - I will shade a number of panels in black, grey and yellow/orange and then apply an overall Humbrol Polished Aluminium Metacote. While this Valom build is a tester for my next one I don't wan to risk on unfamiliar paint techniques.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Now this is where I will disappoint many. I have never used Alclad or anything like it and so that is out. I am a user of enamels

Ditto Martin. I use Humbrol's Metalcotte also and although I'm tempted to try something else but I want't conformity with my NMF aircraft (only Sabres at mo), so I stick to what I know...warts and all.

Good progress on the 'Doo'.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stuart.  With this build my nerves will pique when it comes to the undercarriage. The Valom approach is to use stryene and PE. Now I understand the value of PE for detail etc but it is b@@@@@@  fiddly to handle and get right. I am tempted to get a SAC set, although they might be for a B-model. The jury is out on it at present and Christmas is giving me time to think. It is also giving me time to get around 90-year old father's place so he can cut me the two rings I need to go ahead of the Valom jet pipes (see previous post on the subject). He's a star at it, even at his age and has all the gear ;).

Well, I'm done for the evening. I'll look in later if I can.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

On 21/12/2018 at 18:00, RidgeRunner said:

Humbrol Polished Aluminium

Yes, that’s a good choice! I used a Humbrol enamel and their metallics with a great (as I think) results some years ago. Now I use only acrylic paints because I don’t want to smell an enamels again.

Cheers! 🤝

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 8:30 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Some progress on the Voodoo front too :).

Today I've tackled the cockpit. As you will see above, I opted to try getting a chopped F-101B resin cockpit in my RF-. Some worked, some didn't. The latter refers to the instrument panel. You can see below that the resin offering (centre left) is very different from the RF (far left).

IMG_0272

So I decided to chop the detail from the resin and cement it to the stryene. In reality the IP sat proud of the rear panel anyway so I think I got away with it.

IMG_0273

I then painted it. I am not the best detail painter so apologies up front!

IMG_0275

It was still a little dusty in this image but you can get the idea, I think. Simply it was a wash of black in the instruments, Humbrol 140 Grey background, Humbrol 33 Black where required, some red and yellow added for odd switches and then a dry brush with metallic (Humbrol 11 silver in this case). Thereafter I added a few wipes of Tamiya oil stain here and there. 

Not the best shot but it is installed:

IMG_0276

and once reasonably cured, camera ports installed and a little weight added, she is a complete fuselage......

IMG_0277

As with all kits on this kind it has no locating pins and so it was a matter of cementing one part, getting it aligned, allow a little curing and then a repeat around the seam. 

Then I added the beautiful resin intakes, although I had a sawing disaster of my own making!!!! As you can see I have left the moulding blocks for strengthen after I cut in the wrong place :(.

IMG_0274

That's about it for today :)

Martin

Martin, I think your detail painting came out great--the instruments are really well defined!  Best, Erwin 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Erwin.

aside from starting the painting cycle soon I will soon (after Christmas) start thinking about the undercarriage solution, including the doors, which are all provided in the kit as PE. They are inaccurate by being too thin, while the nose wheel doors should be, in reality, triangular in section. I will draw out out and cut these from plasticard. For now it is all,about tidying any remaining bits that need it, priming and getting on to the painting :).

Martin

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all!!!!

I got a little done on the Voodoo today. Essentially a little more checking, filling, sanding, etc. I added the canopy and camera port masks. For the latter I used Montex initially but soon found that there was no mask included for the forward facing camera! Luxkily I had an alternative in he form of New Masks Ware NWAM0140. I therefore pinched it from that set - which is intended for my A-model later. I did, actually replace a couple of other camera port masks with the NMW too as the shape was better.  Thereafter I got the Badger out and gave her a light prime coat, after which (probably on Monday) I will review, repairs as needed, etc. Then she will be ready for painting!!!! :). Right now she looks like this:

IMG_0385

IMG_0383

I have  question, too! It is primarily for @Giorgio N. From the post below I now know he unit badges to be drawn and printed. However, they look like they have no white in them. Would you agree? It is great if not, of course! ;) Thanks.

That's it for now.

Martin

• Like 4

Martin,

there's some white in the 837 Air Division badge, as this has a scroll in white. The other badge does not have any white but the axe is in light grey.

If home-printing, some of the colours my look weird with a silver background unless you print on white. Only way to find out is trying of course

A little more done today. Being that "little bit here, little bit there" stage there is little to report other than the black (Humbrol Matt)has gone on the nose, as has the Humbrol 27002 Polished Aluminium on the areas of the fin and rudder that need to be masked before applying the white top coat. Additionally she has now had a dusting of Colourcoats ACUS09 Interior Green in the wheel wells. 

IMG_0399

I still have a bit of tidying to do on some seams but I needed to get these few paint coats on and cured so that I can move the build along. The white areas that I mentioned are the fin and rudder (with certain areas masked out to allow the NMF through, for the serial, the fin tip, curved tailplane runners and a few small warning sign positions) and the two stripes mid-fuselage as undercoats for the International Orange-Red striping. Maybe tomorrow.

Back soon.

Martin

• Like 4

Hi again all!

A little more done before I have to get off and attend to other stuff! :(

Today more paint went on, after a little fiddly masking. Nothing too bad but my old fingers don't like small stuff!!! The majority of the masks have gone on in prepartion for the white and International Orange-Red areas. The fin was white - the operational unit marks overpainted. However small patch were left for stencilling. The runner for the elevator/on needed masking as well as the fin tip and serial block. All this to keep the NMF un-touched. Also the vents alongside the fuselage at mid-point were NMF on the real aircraft so these needed masking. 

IMG_0423

IMG_0424

Then it was out with the Badger. First was the white (Colourcoats Matt White). This was the fin fuselage bands as an undercoat for the International Orange-Red and the small spots were there will be unit badges (as these will be printed on clear sheet).  Then the nose band, which as far as I can see was a slightly yellow-silver-aluminium colour. So a mix of Humbrol Silver Fix (11) and Yellow (24) was dusted on the nose. She will  now be left to cure overnight and I'll get on with other stuff.

IMG_0426

The only other to show today are the wheels:

IMG_0427

"All that is resin is not gold"! You can see how the kit wheels (right) differ from the Armoury set. A no-brainer for me! I am also showing the Aires seat.

Back soon. I'm off to draw some decals ;)

Martin

• Like 4

Thanks Stuart. They should be fairly simple. I have printed Amarillo a number of times now, and also drawn and printed my own badges etc. Examples:

T33DOM1

T33ECU1

The Dominican badge was from a F-51 kit. I drew the "3304", though. On the Ecuador machine I drew the "TF-808", the "FAE" and the unit badge (snapped from the net and modified). I use a simple clear sheet bought on Amazon. These are "fixed" with Humbrol Glosscote enamel as I print on an Inkjet. I draw everything on Photoshop. For this scale it is the easiest for me.

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 7

Great progress Martin, can’t wait to see the NMF will be apply and shine! 👍

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nothing too bad but my old fingers don't like small stuff!!!

I told you about a KH Voodoo in 1:48th scale 😉

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

You can see how the kit wheels (right) differ from the Armoury set. A no-brainer for me!

Even the included wheels looks good, the weighted ones is wonderful!

Cheers! 🙂